Starch- anyone use it still??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

There is a name for compounds that behave like cornstarch or cocoa, that behave differently depending on how much physical pressure is applied to them, but I can't remember the term. Anyone remember this from HS science class?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Non-Newtonian fluids is all I can recall from my fluid dynamics class; acting more like a solid than a liquid when force is applied---GAK!!! That came out of the DEEP reaches of memory--- I want my mommy :-)
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

djm wrote:There is a name for compounds that behave like cornstarch or cocoa, that behave differently depending on how much physical pressure is applied to them, but I can't remember the term. Anyone remember this from HS science class?

djm
I remember the first time I ever ran into quick sand, in southern Utah. If you walk quick you can sort of truck right across it. If you stop, all of a sudden it looks...different, and then it liquifies and, ploomp, in you go.

Fortunately it was only about boot-deep. Fun stuff. Sort of reminded me of the cornstarch trick.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

WyoBadger wrote:I remember the first time I ever ran into quick sand, in southern Utah.
Cool. I didn't know that.

djm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

WyoBadger wrote:
djm wrote:There is a name for compounds that behave like cornstarch or cocoa, that behave differently depending on how much physical pressure is applied to them, but I can't remember the term. Anyone remember this from HS science class?

djm
I remember the first time I ever ran into quick sand, in southern Utah. If you walk quick you can sort of truck right across it. If you stop, all of a sudden it looks...different, and then it liquifies and, ploomp, in you go.

Fortunately it was only about boot-deep. Fun stuff. Sort of reminded me of the cornstarch trick.

T
Who remembers how in the old tv westerns someone always ended up in quicksand? That stuff really worried me when I was a kid.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

cowtime wrote:Who remembers how in the old tv westerns someone always ended up in quicksand? That stuff really worried me when I was a kid.
I remember! Any movie set in Africa had to have some, too.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

A bit of spray starch on lace knitting improves the drape.

Remember to wash it out before storing so the starch eating bugs don't make BIIIIIG holes in the lovely lace!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

WyoBadger wrote:

djm

T
This story reminds me of the great cultural icon: Wile E. Coyote runs off the cliff and....you know the rest.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Bloomfield wrote:Bloomfield only wears starched shirts, dark suits and old-fashioned ties. If it weren't for his mother's propensity to starch underwear, he'd still be living at home.

How is the old girl these days?

Been a while since she's been around.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Dale wrote:
This story reminds me of the great cultural icon: Wile E. Coyote runs off the cliff and....you know the rest.
Well, I almost did that too, on the same trip. Moral of that story: Make sure you are fully awake before crawling out of your sleeping bag to answer nature's call when camped on a ledge on the side of a canyon. Woo hoo hoo *little puff of dust* :lol:

Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm
A brief Google suggests that "non-Newtonian" is probably the word you're after. The fascinatingly contrary cornstarch/water combo gets called by the improbable name of "Oobleck" (which further searching reveals it to be borrowed from Dr. Seuss).

Oobleck. Sounds like an extraterrestrial marooned on Earth.

Other terms appear to be "dilatant", "shear-thickening", and "smart material".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:Oobleck. Sounds like an extraterrestrial marooned on Earth.
so ya don't think that it has anything to do with the life goes on bra then?
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:dilatant
That's the word! Nice find. As for "shear-thickening" I'll just put that one down slowly and cautiously step away.
Denny wrote:so ya don't think that it has anything to do with the life goes on bra then?
Depends on whether or not they use corn starch to stick it on with.

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

And I found another somewhat related word: rheopectic. It's the opposite of thixotropic, you know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician