Low Whistle review survey

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What Low whistle would you like to see a review on next?

Alba
14%
Burke
13%
Chieftain Gold
2%
Cook
No votes
Copeland
2%
Dixon Abs
3%
Hoover
2%
Kerry Pro
No votes
Kerry Songbird
6%
Merlin
13%
MK
16%
Overton
6%
Reviol
13%
Reyburn
13%

Total votes: 64

Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Madpiper wrote:
What's a Merlin?
I doubt know if you were being sarcastic or not, but just in case. http://www.merlin-music.com/whistles.htm :D
Nope they're new to me. Thanks for the link.

Doc :)
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

swizzlestick wrote:What? No Syn? It's a bit different in both sound and playing characteristics. I thought you were out to try every low D. :)
Actually, Mr Bartlett is sending me one direct from down unda to try within the next week or so. Being as it's a loaner, I have to write the review for it when I have it, so I can't put it off like the ones I own. Hence I did not include it in the survey/poll. There are certainly more than a few brands I still need to get my hands on, szbe, shaw, O'Brien, not to mention the really hard to get ones like Steamwalker mentioned. This survey is just for the whistles I currently own, as I figured I needed to start reviewing those before I went and bought anymore!
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

medit8b1 wrote: Actually, Mr Bartlett is sending me one direct from down unda to try within the next week or so. Being as it's a loaner, I have to write the review for it when I have it, so I can't put it off like the ones I own. Hence I did not include it in the survey/poll. There are certainly more than a few brands I still need to get my hands on, szbe, shaw, O'Brien, not to mention the really hard to get ones like Steamwalker mentioned. This survey is just for the whistles I currently own, as I figured I needed to start reviewing those before I went and bought anymore!
I look forward to reading your take on it. One warning: As several people have pointed out, there is so much mass in the head that you need to take extra time to warm it up.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

I am totaly happy with my ALBA nontunable low D. It has just the sound I want, all the notes are strong and equal, it's ended my search :)
shy the blond water
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Just bumping this to make sure everyone gets a vote, I will be starting on the winning reviews this weekend, at least, thats the plan anyway :) Thanks to everyone for your help!
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I voted the Burke.
I don't plan to get another low D soon (I have a Susato Kildare, and I'm quite happy with it, although I find it a bit difficult to play), but if someday I buy a definitive one, maybe I'd go with a Burke, because of the reputation that it has.
In conclusion, I'd like to read your review about it, because I don't think I'll buy an MK, Reviol, Copeland or another of those low D's in years.

Cheers,
Martin
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Bothrops wrote:.... but if someday I buy a definitive one, maybe I'd go with a Burke, because of the reputation that it has.
The reputation it has on Chiff & Fipple? Or among musicians? ;)
/Bloomfield
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Bloomfield wrote:
Bothrops wrote:.... but if someday I buy a definitive one, maybe I'd go with a Burke, because of the reputation that it has.
The reputation it has on Chiff & Fipple? Or among musicians? ;)
The reputation it has from the musicians of Chiff & Fipple, that's enough, isn't it? :P
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I did vote for Burke, but that's because you hadn't yet reviewed a Burke and it is one of the more popular Low Ds.
Constance

low D review

Post by Constance »

I'd like to see a review of the new Reyburn.

constance
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

It's not on the list, but how about a Thornton low D. It'd be nice to get a professional review.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I'm not a real musician. I only play one in my own mind.

However, Kevin...I'd love to hear your take on the "Brass Viper."

Loves the brass...

Thanks
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Gee, thanks guys, a three way tie! Oh well, I have begun work on reviews for the MK, Burke Viper and Reyburn wide bore. The Burke review will be of the aluminum model, as I knew I would naturally end up comparing the brass to the aluminum, so I wanted to put the horse before the cart as it were. Hope to have at least one done by the end of the weekend. Thanks again for the help!
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

As promised, I have posted the first of the reviews, this one on the MK low D, which after a few last minute absentee ballots, came in first. I will post a link to the review in a seperate thread, so that in the future anyone who does a search for MK will more easily find it. But in the mean time, all my low whistle reviews can be seen here:
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com/Instrument%20Reviews.html

Next will be the Burke Aluminum viper, which I hope to have up by the end of the week (I figure if I keep giving myself deadlines, I might actually get them done :boggle: ). Shortly after announcing that I would also review the Reyburn I had, Mr. Reyburn himself contacted me and asked me to wait so that I might try out and review his newest creation, code named "The Honker", instead. I will keep you posted. If after the Burke Viper I'm still feeling motivated, I will try to go on to the Brass Viper, although I do have a syn low D coming shortly that will have to take precedence as it is a loaner.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Dixon Aluminum low D

Post by ahogrelius »

Here's another whistle I would like to see a professional review on; -The Tony Dixon Low Aluminum D. I've only seen reviews on the ABS version but I've never seen anything about the Alu version.

Cheers,
Anders