Ben Sollee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ben Sollee

Post by Jack »

Anybody ever heard of this guy? I heard him on NPR the other day.

He accompanies himself on cello.

His style is really distinctive. It reminds me somewhat of Fiona Apple, as in I could see his songs as being written and sung by her.

Here is one video on YouTube for those who've never heard of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-8zAxyWJCs
djm

Post by djm »

Cello my eye. What a nasty trick to make me listen to banjo music! :evil:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Ben Sollee

Post by Ronbo »

Cranberry wrote:Anybody ever heard of this guy? I heard him on NPR the other day.

He accompanies himself on cello.

His style is really distinctive. It reminds me somewhat of Fiona Apple, as in I could see his songs as being written and sung by her.

Here is one video on YouTube for those who've never heard of him:

Thanks for the warning. :lol:
larrym.

Post by larrym. »

Silly me, I checked it out anyway. :boggle: Gawd it's awful!!!

Larry
"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

djm wrote:Cello my eye. What a nasty trick to make me listen to banjo music! :evil:

djm
and it's not clawhammer :o

:evil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

All I could get was some little dot going around and around in circles. In ominous silence. It was horrible.
Cotelette d'Agneau
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Dunno....I've seen and heard a lot worse
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Ben Sollee

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:Here is one video on YouTube for those who've never heard of him:

Interesting stuff, and the banjo was an oddly catchy bit of texture against the cello pizzicato. Nice voice. I'd probably take notice if I heard it on the radio.

I got irritated with the video, though. The incessant culvert-dancing in business suits, although clever, before long grew overdone and apropos of nothing; it really didn't inform the music, particularly the lyrics; the director could have at least kept the dance scenes and broken them up now and then with, like...I dunno...something surreal or dark, say, as both a startling contrast to the lighthearted delivery and yet as something also in oblique keeping with the idea that "boys don't cry". You know, make it interesting. Throw some artistic compression in there. As it stands, the video's one-dimensionality makes it merely incidental to the whole (and thus texturally disposable; nothing would be amiss without it; you could substitute almost anything else just as effectively). It leaves me desperately wanting something more than what it offers, and so I couldn't stick around and let it finish. I just had to get away from the dancing. That's music videos for me: I take the visual as part and parcel along with the music. I prefer to see them go together with some meaningfulness. In this case I'd rather have seen the band at work.

BUT: that said, I tend to like unusual musical departures from the norm in the pop realm, and I found nothing one-dimensional about his music in this case, which I appreciated. Can't say how long and bright his flame will burn, though; he could stick to the cello, but his branching out would have to be astute.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm sorry most of you didn't like it or couldn't hear it. I liked it, so I thought I'd share it, that's all.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I dig it. It's like Bela Flek met up with some of Dave Mathews' band members
and got Jack Johnson to sing lead. I agree that the video is kind of unfortunate,
though. It's like some sort of OK, Go ripoff...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:I'm sorry most of you didn't like it or couldn't hear it. I liked it, so I thought I'd share it, that's all.
Well, that's four against to four in favor (with two "for" votes disliking the video, which is really irrelevant, as you were talking about the music itself). So, most? Not enough of a sample to say that when it's practically even as of this post if we include the "can't say due to technical difficulties" with the "against" votes, which I wouldn't do.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I liked the music just fine.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I'm sorry most of you didn't like it or couldn't hear it. I liked it, so I thought I'd share it, that's all.
Well, that's four against to four in favor (with two "for" votes disliking the video, which is really irrelevant, as you were talking about the music itself). So, most? Not enough of a sample to say that when it's practically even as of this post if we include the "can't say due to technical difficulties" with the "against" votes, which I wouldn't do.
Whatever. :P
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:Whatever.
Rather uncharitable of you...

Okay, five to four in favor. Or five to five, if we insist.
Denny

Post by Denny »

too late!
the dude with the tune's copped a 'tude.

the arrangement was kinda interesting, the vid & lyrics were not overly original
yeah, well....

is okay for a pop thing