Advice? Carrying instruments on planes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2002-12-06 22:31, Paul Anderson wrote:
I've flown Air Canada to the Maritimes and Toronto and they were NOT helpful. I ended up with a smashed bouzouki case one time(miraculously, the bouzouki survived).
When I was 15, I flew in from the Philippines on Northwest, and made the terrible mistake of checking my instruments in, rather than taking them as carry-ons. I arrived in America with a broken mandolin and a broken tenor banjo. After that I always travelled with my instruments as carry on luggage, and was faced with questions about tennis-playing from other passengers. It seems people can't tell a mandolin case from a tennis racket case.
Reasonable person
Walden
atarango
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by atarango »

I had a few problems but that was with a concert flute right after 9/11- they didn't want me to carry it on. However this christmas I will be travelling with a low D and a regular whistle- I find a few things are helpful...

Offer to open the case and show it to the screeners once it has been x-rayed, and even offer to play it if they don't believe you. Be really nice, smile even if they yell or search you, patience, patience.... I have learned this because I am dark, I always get searched- and just being as sweet as you can about things usually will get you through.

Also if you can- take the low whistle in a soft case- the plastic pipe case may arouse suspicion- the bodhran should be fine in its case...If you can get the low whistle into a backpack, they'll hardly pay any attention to it- just don't carry it seperatly. That draws attention.

Just be aware that this is the season when people fly with tons of stuff- so the screeners get cranky at people who carry on tons of stuff- You get one carryon and one personal item- the bodhran should be able to be counted as your "personal item".

And finally if all else fails and they won't let you through with it at the screening area just check the instruments into baggage because if they confiscate it you won't be getting it back....

-Angela
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi Angela, thanks for the advice. I won't have any other baggage at all other than the whistle and bodhran case, not even checked stuff, and a board member is sending me a case she made to use for the whistle. It is PVC lined but is covered in fabric and has a carrying handle, and looks much more 'professional" than anything else I've got.

So I am crossing my fingers, practicing to demo at the security station, and plan to be very nice and patient to all!
sturob

Post by sturob »

I think that patience is the best plan, Ava.

The only thing I'm debating in my mind is whether to suggest a hard-sided or a soft-sided case. I have travelled pretty extensively with highland pipes on planes, and the ONLY time I ever had trouble was in Heathrow (which ended in detention, which is a long LONG story). I would completely disassemble the pipes and put them in a small canvas briefcase. It worked well and was compact.

When I've traveled with flutes (I haven't taken my whistles anywhere yet, I just realized!), I've always put them in roll-up cases (TuffBags or Cavallaro) that would fit into my carryon. That way, I can put T-shirts or sweatshirts or something around them and be relatively sure they're well-protected.

Good luck with your stuff!

Stuart
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hey, Beth,

A little more advice. I can't imagine the bodhran being a security threat, but it might be too big. Measure the dimensions (with the case) and ask the airline beforehand. Once you hit security, be willing and even eager to open it for them and let them have a look around. They're just doing a tough job, and they (usually)appreciate a little help as much as anybody.

I use a cymbal case for my Halpin--it fits perfectly and it's very well padded bordering on indestructable. I would certainly pack the inside of it with clothing. The most fragile part is the head, and padding it from behind will make it much less succeptable to damage if worst comes to worst.

Soooo...where are you going??? hee hee hee
TW
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tom - I'm not telling you where I'm going! *grin*

The bodhran is a 16" and I'm guessing with the case it'd be 17". Brian says Joe has flown with his 18" bodhran as a carry on. I know that the United carryon official dimensions are 22x14x9 - I had thought they were 22x17, my bad.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Hm. This morning United filed for bankrupcy. Well, at least if my flight gets cancelled I can play my copeland to amuse (or irritate) people while waiting... :smile:
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Hey A.,

I've traveled with whistles in both carry-on and check-through and never had a problem.

Coming back from Ireland, I saw a number of folks carry on bodhrans without problem.

I once heard the advice, "Never travel with anything you are not prepared to part with." It's something to consider. I agree with Aaron, I would carry-on any musical instrument unless its a whistle you can stash deep inside of a check-through bag that will cushion it.

Hope your travel goes well!

Vinny
"Grace . . . It travels outside of Karma."
- Bono -
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I've travelled with my 12 string guitar a number of times. I have always been able to put it in the overhead with one exception. They changed a connecting short-hop flight on me and I was flying on an 10 passenger jet with no room to stand and no carry-on allowed (none at all). They took it at the gate and promised to take care of it. I could even watch them load it.

The main thing I found helpful was to be considerate, and arrive an extra 30 minutes earlier than everyone else. I also check to make sure I have a normal size plane. I have been asked a couple of times if I'd like to check it, to which I've always replied, "It will fit in the overhead." They usually indicate that if it doesn't I'll have to check it. Being early makes it easier to find a place to fit it in before everyone else puts their bags up. One stewardess, side stepped the whole issue and offered to put it in the 1st class carry on area for me.

Being early, takes of the pressure off for me, so I don't transmit anxiety to those working with me to secure my flight.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Hi all!
Sandy is in Disneyland on Elf buisness so this is my first post.

You are all missing the inportance of the "Fragile" sticker.
When applied correctly to a bass guitar it means;punch a hole in the case and stack suitcases on top untill you push the pickups through the guitar, when applied to a keyboard it means ; please throw this fifteen feet through the air onto the concrete and finally on a friends guitar it translates as ;please snap the neck off my axe on three seperate occasions.

On seeing this first hand I applied for a job with Air Canada baggage hanlers but was told that as I could write my own name and count to ten with my boots on I was of course unsuitable as they only employ fruit eating primates who grunt easily and know the true meaning of the word "Fragile"
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Ain't it the truth! I'll never forget sitting on a plane one day, idly watching the baggage being loaded, and seeing a guitar case moving slowly and inexorably up the ramp, from which it was destined to tumble into the hold with nary a soul to catch it and break its fall (or to cushion it from the suitcases that were following it up the ramp). Oy.

Sandy's in Disneyland? Lucky girl! It's one of my most favorite places on earth...we go at least a couple of times a year, and always look forward to our next visit. Hope she has fun!

Redwolf
atarango

Post by atarango »

You think whistles are bad- I had a friend who played the string bass and went to Julliard. His family lived in Los Angeles and he would go back and forth between LA and NYC a lot... anyway he had a special case made for his bass specifically because it had to be checked and because the airlines would just toss it around. The case alone cost $3000 and it was huge and specially padded and locked and so forth... talk about an ordeal...

-Angela
MandoPaul

Post by MandoPaul »

On 2002-12-08 16:50, avanutria wrote:
I know that the United carryon official dimensions are 22x14x9 - I had thought they were 22x17, my bad.
Or (I think) 45" linear inches. The the http://www.ual.com web site. The game is that if the total of length plus width plus depth is less than that max linear inches, that's legal. That's how things like fishing poles are legal.

That said, it still boils down to if the flight attendant thinks it looks too big, you get to argue with them.

I've taken to carrying my mandolin in a fitted case instead of a rectangular case because it "looks" smaller to flight attendants, even though both are technically oversized...
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Redwolf!I too have watched in morbid curiosity at such things and still took musical instuments on planes. This knoledge plus my obvious lack of spelling ability makes me think I should re-apply. Incidentaly I don't think any one is going to top your review without making it into the Guinnes Book Of Records. Great stuff and much appreciated thankyou.
Steve(Mr Elf, preffered choice of genius)
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

A bluegrass band member told me about the time his band flew to a festival. The bass player was unable to check the bass and had to buy a ticket for it to put it in a seat. Arriving late, they found a standby traveller in the seat who had to be put off the plane to make room for the bass.