Starch- anyone use it still??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Starch- anyone use it still??

Post by fel bautista »

I remember my mom putting starch into bed sheet wash and when hung on a line, they came out stiff as board, and fun to make into beds (SSHHH-bed making was not fun). So does any one still use that stuff? I use a spray starch on cotton shirts but that it. No sheets for me :-)
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Funny, I was just thinking I might want some starch. I bought a new wide brim hat to keep the sun off my face. The hat is losing some of its stiffness and starting to flop a bit much. I was thinking some starch might do the trick.
emmline

Post by emmline »

:oops:
Well...I don't even iron, actually.
Except on a very rare occasion, an item that rarely gets worn but really needs it. Otherwise no.
I used to kind of like the smell of the spray starch when my mother used it,
but it was probably terrible stuff to breathe in the vicinity of.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't use it myself but when I used to take my clothes to the cleaners I'd have heavy starch on the shirts.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

its great for spats in full #1 dress highland uniform
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

I even remember the starch my mom used. It was Argo, and came in a yellow box. On washday she would starch everything (except underclothes) and hang them out to dry-yes there were such things as clotheslines in the bad old days. On ironing day you had to use a water sprinkler so you could iron the clothes. It took a long time and a lot of skill to get all the creases straight.

You needed a spade and prybar to get into the clothes later.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Funny.
Now the general public can't seem to get enough of stink pretty fabric softeners.
KBR

Starch

Post by KBR »

I don't use starch - just another thing to make one stiff. BUT :o you can do this really NEAT trick with starch.....first, pour a pile of corn starch into a bowl. Add water so that it soaks into the starch but not enough to be runny. The starch will form into a semi-hard mass - AND THIS IS WHERE THE FUN REALLY BEGINS (especially if you are really bored)! Press your finger onto the starch.....it will slowly descend into the starch. If you pick up the starchy mass it will seem solid but, if you squeeze it, it will MELT thru your fingers and drip back intot he bowl - especially if your hand is still over the bowl. And there you have it - sort of like silly putty for serious people, except without the bouncy part. :D Cool? You bet! kbr
"ain't no other place 'round dis place, like dis
place so...dis must be de place...."
Sammy Ray
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I use Niagara spray starch for my shirts (when they start to look like they were slept in). Most of my shirts are 100% cotton, so they require a good ironing and stiffening whenever I need to look like I care about what I look like.
Nothing like the feeling of a crisp white shirt to make you feel like a bigwig.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Used to all the time, but gave up using it shortly after I left the Marines. Now I buy non-wrinkle shirts and pants. Just have to remember to hang them up after drying.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Bloomfield only wears starched shirts, dark suits and old-fashioned ties. If it weren't for his mother's propensity to starch underwear, he'd still be living at home.
/Bloomfield
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

This brings back memories (not Bloo's underwear-starching mother, but the thread). I don't think we had a dryer until I was in high school--wash was hung outside or on racks in the basement to dry. And we ironed big time. My older brother's shirts had to be ironed beautifully--always done with the can of spray starch--so he could look cool. Ah, the ways he tried to bribe me to iron his shirts: He'd trade me dishwashing duties (but conveniently forget when it came time for him to ante up), give me personal property he thought he could live without (I believe he gave me his Monopoly game 2-3 times), and even offer cash when he had it (he'd promise me 50 cents, then only be able to find a quarter when it came time to pay up).

For some period of time in those years we were able to afford to take our clothes to a woman in our little town who did ironing, but that didn't last long. That was too great a luxury when there was a high school aged daughter in the home with full use of her arms (that would be me)--and an affordable can of starch.

Susan
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Starch

Post by chas »

KBR wrote:BUT :o you can do this really NEAT trick with starch. . .
Another one -- Have you ever seen these pens they use that are supposed to identify counterfeit bills? They're iodine, and they detect the starch people use to give counterfeit bills a better feel. If you're in an area where they use iodine pens, keep a baggie of corn starch handy and whenever you get a wad of 20's from the bank or ATM, toss them in the corn starch.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

KBR wrote:I don't use starch - just another thing to make one stiff. BUT :o you can do this really NEAT trick with starch.....first, pour a pile of corn starch into a bowl. Add water so that it soaks into the starch but not enough to be runny. The starch will form into a semi-hard mass - AND THIS IS WHERE THE FUN REALLY BEGINS (especially if you are really bored)! Press your finger onto the starch.....it will slowly descend into the starch. If you pick up the starchy mass it will seem solid but, if you squeeze it, it will MELT thru your fingers and drip back intot he bowl - especially if your hand is still over the bowl. And there you have it - sort of like silly putty for serious people, except without the bouncy part. :D Cool? You bet! kbr
I think we are all richer for this.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:
KBR wrote:I don't use starch - just another thing to make one stiff. BUT :o you can do this really NEAT trick with starch.....first, pour a pile of corn starch into a bowl. Add water so that it soaks into the starch but not enough to be runny. The starch will form into a semi-hard mass - AND THIS IS WHERE THE FUN REALLY BEGINS (especially if you are really bored)! Press your finger onto the starch.....it will slowly descend into the starch. If you pick up the starchy mass it will seem solid but, if you squeeze it, it will MELT thru your fingers and drip back intot he bowl - especially if your hand is still over the bowl. And there you have it - sort of like silly putty for serious people, except without the bouncy part. :D Cool? You bet! kbr
I think we are all richer for this.

Oooo! I want to try it!

There is, incidentally, a nonaerosol version of Niagara spray starch. You can have lovely clothes with healthy lungs!
Cotelette d'Agneau