Collapsable Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Leahcim
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Collapsable Whistles

Post by Leahcim »

I'm looking for a good "travel whistle" one that fits in the pocket well.
I know that Clare makes the two piece, and I was looking at O'Brien's three piece and telescoping models.
My question is what else is out there? and if anyone could review the aforesaid whistles for me that would be great too.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Is Noah Herbison back to making Laughing Whistles? I think he at least went on hiatus for a while.
My Herbison whistle is my favorite ever, but if you're looking for something you can get serious volume from it's not the right one for you.

But it's sweet, and beautifully simple, and collapses at 2 points.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I think most high end and intermediate whistles break down at the tuning slide so your options are fairly open.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I see there is a three section key of D on ebay listed under penny whistle. Sorry, I don't know how to transfer a link to it.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tommy wrote:I see there is a three section key of D on ebay listed under penny whistle. Sorry, I don't know how to transfer a link to it.
This one?
Sober Sam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sober Sam »

I don't know about collapsable whistles, but about collapsable whistleplaers. It happens, when you forget the inhaling part.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
Grexrell

Post by Grexrell »

I have an O'Brien telescoping model.
It collapses easily, and fits in my jean pocket.
I take it with me every time I leave the house.
(I sometimes get time in the car to play it, but most of the time with others in the car I blow over the fipple to quiet it.)
It has a good clear sound, and doesn't take much air.
O'Brien was easy to order from as well, and I play his whistles regularly.
However, I don't know what other collapsibles are like.
Learning to...
Play the Irish whistle, Harmonica, Recorder, Fife, Panpipes, Clarinet, Hand ocarina, and Piano Accordion, all within the last year :D
(Music is more fun then ever before)
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I had a two piece whistle once, but for the life of me can't remember its name or where I got it. It was brass with a plastic mouthpiece. I hated it.

There's an old engineer's adage that goes: "Anything made to be adjustable will require constant adjustment". Likewise, anything made to be collapsable will tend to collapse. Usually at the wrong time. At least that's what happened to mine.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
scheky

Post by scheky »

David's Rovers are definately a good whistle. I carry mine in my pocket to work and play along the river at lunch time. If I didn't have my gawdawful fear of wood, I'd purchase a nice wooden one from him.

Maybe if I find a wood that I can be sure I won't end up tragically allergic to.
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

I like my Clare 2-piece in a pinch, but mine has the unfortunate problem of being quite out of tune on the C natural. A tad upsetting. Best to buy one where you might try it out first.

I'm sure other 2-pieces and telescopers (more expensive ones, I bet) have better luck with tuning.
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've had two piece Doolins, 2 piece Clares, and laughing whistles and loved all of them. Laughings are my favourites but to my knowledge they are not being made at this time - Noah Herbison said they were taking too long for the price he was asking, so weren't financially worth it. Maybe if you offered him extra....

I have recently purchased two collapsing whistles from Tommy Dion and am eagerly awaiting their arrival on May 2nd - I will be reviewing them when I get a chance, probably late May. One is a 3 piece PVC (photo posted above) and the other is a telescoping brass with a plastic head.

I'm sure Mack Hoover could work up a multipiece whistle for whoever asked, he's a whistle designing genius.

I tried a wooden three piece whistle once, I think, but didn't care for it; wooden whistles aren't really my thing. And I tried a whistle tour three piece that was nickel coated or something, and had a reaction to it. I can't recall which brands those were, though.
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

I own a couple of two-piece Clare whistles in D. The tone isn't bad, but they are horribly out of tune to my ear. They need serious tweaking.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

I really like the O'Brien whistles, or rather what I've read of them. But I can't decide wether I like the Rover or the Stowaway telescoping model better. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

An older model Dixon tunable fits fine in the pocket in two sections (the head being longer than the new model)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

My favorite traveling whistle is my Busman green delrin which breaks down nicely and fits into a small felt case made by his wife.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.