Saddest Tune

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lowas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by lowas »

Hi,

Late as usual, I nominate the Swedish tune Ljugaren. It is probably the saddest I've ever heard, especially when played on a säckpipa (Nordic bagpipe), an instrument which always makes me feel gloomy just by the sound it makes. There are a couple of recordings on the internet, check out either my band: http://www.myspace.com/hnao, with special guest star Gudrun Ebbinghaus on the säckpipa, or Ljugaren/The Miller of the Dee played by Olle Gällmo on http://user.it.uu.se/~crwth/bagpipes/sw ... c.swe.html
"[...] the most widespread assumption of our time: that if a thing can be done, it must be done. This seems to me wholly false. The greatest examples of the action of the spirit and of reason are in abnegation." - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters #186
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I can tell you the saddest song is NOT in the form of a limerick.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

FJohnSharp wrote:I can tell you the saddest song is NOT in the form of a limerick.
:lol: !!!
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

lowas wrote:Hi,

Late as usual, I nominate the Swedish tune Ljugaren. It is probably the saddest I've ever heard, especially when played on a säckpipa (Nordic bagpipe), an instrument which always makes me feel gloomy just by the sound it makes. There are a couple of recordings on the internet, check out either my band: http://www.myspace.com/hnao, with special guest star Gudrun Ebbinghaus on the säckpipa, or Ljugaren/The Miller of the Dee played by Olle Gällmo on http://user.it.uu.se/~crwth/bagpipes/sw ... c.swe.html
That is indeed beautiful!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pastorkeith »

blackhawk wrote:
lowas wrote:Hi,

That is indeed beautiful!
I heartily agree!

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

Marcus Hernon's Air. I tear up every time I hear it.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

pastorkeith wrote:
As you rightly point out, how the musician interprets the piece is key, no?

Yet, might not some laments in the hands of a master - musician and tune together - produce something truly evocative - touching sadness and loss, the ephemeralness, as it were, of life? Do not at least some tunes carry something of that in their very construction (even if a gifted musician could make them sound as jolly a driking song?)
I agree that the musician brings out the sadness in a tune, but that there is something in the tune itself -- some intervals that just ache (but in a beautiful way). Personally I find Carolan's "Blind Mary" sadder than his "Farewell to Music."

Neil Gow's "Farewell to Whiskey" is sad when played as a lament, but I've also heard it played as a fast dance tune. I like the slow, sad version better.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

Donall Og from the Chieftains 2 LP was one of the first airs to really make me cry. I think it was the combination of it being so raw-sounding (being an LP) and also so haunting.

But Brauch Na Carrige Baine is also a favorite. Never fails to make me somewhat emotional.
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Most definately "I am Stretched On Your Grave" By Kate Rusby.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

evenstr wrote:Marcus Hernon's Air. I tear up every time I hear it.
That's a great lament!
I bought Joannie's songbook just so I could play it!

Blessings
pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

WyoBadger wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:One the one hand I think it's a bit of a silly exercise, it's a good musician who puts his touch of sadness on the tune, not necessarily the tune itself.
Well, you think lots of things are silly exercises, Peter. You're probably right, too. :lol: But then, so is running on a treadmill, but lots of people still do it.
I got on a treadmill once when trying on a pair of running shoes. That was about 25 years ago; never since. I accidentally brush up against one occasionally at my brother's house (he lives in New Hampster; he sometimes can't get to the head of his driveway, nevermind out for a few miles).

As for tearjerker tunes, there are just so many. Helicon (Chris Norman and Ken Kolodner) do a slow version of Woman of the House that gets me every time I hear it. If there is such a thing as a perfect rendition of a piece of music, that may be it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

The West Coast of Clare, as played by Planxty

Amazing Grace

Carrickfergus
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Hm I'd give Seamus Ennis' playing of Gentle Philip Fahy on Fourty Years of Irish Piping, a strong contestant, and Liam O'Flynn's playing of Eire on The Fire Aflame - Matt Molloy, Liam O'Flynn and Sean Keane, just a brilliant album period. The Wild Geese is always a downer too. :)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

from an old post.

June Tabor sang the role of The Mother in Peter Bellamy's ballad opera The Transports.

The Leaves in the Woodland
Oh the grass in the meadow, the reeds by the mere,
The sad boom of the bittern is all that I hear.
And the leaves in the woodland and the gulls by the shore cry.
You never shall sit by your loved-ones no more.
You never shall sit by your loved-ones no more.

When I was a young girl the world did seem gay,
But these cruel hard times do drive comfort away.
You never shall dance with your sweetheart no more.
You never shall dance with your sweetheart no more.

Once I gathered wild flowers in the sweet countryside,
But my garlands have withered, my posies have died.
You never shall lie with your husband no more.
You never shall lie with your husband no more.

Once I went a-courting, but now my man's gone,
Once I was a mother, but now I'm alone.
You never shall walk with your men-folk no more.
You never shall walk with your men-folk no more.

Come all you young women that's free from all care,
Don't you never get married, all sorrows lies there.
For the leaves in the woodland and the gulls by the shore cry. The heart that is given no man may restore.
The heart that is given no man may restore

Now the fields are all empty, the hedgerows are bare,
Only wild desolation is all I find there.
I'll go down to the river to ease all my pain
And who knows, but I might find my dear ones again. Who knows, but I might find my dear ones again.

a snippet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop- ... WNA6001007
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
riverman

Post by riverman »

evenstr wrote:Marcus Hernon's Air. I tear up every time I hear it.
I was going to vote for that one. I just learned it--and I play it and play it.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.