OT: Antietam Illumination 12-7-02

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Kathie's mention of the Pearl Harbor anniversary earlier today reminded me that tonight is the "illumination" of the Antietam battlefield near Sharpsburg, Maryland.

Each year on the first Saturday in December, more than 800 volunteers set up one lit candle for every casualty of that battle. The casualty count for that one-day battle (Sept. 17, 1862) was about 23,000 Union and Confederate troops--"America's bloodiest day." The haunting effect cannot be described. <a href:"http://www.civilwarhome.com/candles.htm">However, this man tries:</a>

<i>Once a year, on the first Saturday in December, the Antietam Battlefield is illuminated with one candle for every casualty at the battle. The candles are placed in small paper bags with sand in the bottom for weight. The Battlefield is toured by car in total darkness except for the candles. ...

Then you can see a row of candles beside the road, then another, then another, and as you top the hill more of the battlefield comes into view, suddenly, as far as the eye can see there are rows, upon rows of candles. Slowly you move along and the candles seem to be never ending. I thought, "Was this what 23,000 casualties meant? Would almost ever spot on the battlefield be covered ?" "My God!!" Then an old song about the war started to creep into my head. I just couldn't get rid of the haunting words, "All that was that was left was the dead and dying. The Blue lying 'long side the Gray."</i>

M

[edited for accuracy]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvhplank on 2002-12-07 21:11 ]</font>
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Isn`t it odd that we canstand on some anciant field of battle and shake our heads in disbelief and ponder the obsurdity and utter waste of it all and yet at the same moment be on the brink of annointing another field whitch, in time, will be visited by those who will shake there heads and ponder the obsurdity and utter waste of it all and yet at the same moment be on the brink.............................
T
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Exactly, Blackbeer. Very good point. Don't you just wish that the "higher-ups" would open their eyes and see that too, though?
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

We are the higher ups. Remember?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

On 2002-12-08 01:02, Blackbeer wrote:
We are the higher ups. Remember?
Amen to that!
I visited Antietam several years ago, as well as Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry-- you can see all of them in a long weekend outing. It really made the tragedy of the Civil War stand out in my mind in a way that merely reading about it, or seeing it on TV can't do. Highly recommended.
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-08 09:03, brewerpaul wrote:
[snip] I visited Antietam several years ago, as well as Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry-- you can see all of them in a long weekend outing. It really made the tragedy of the Civil War stand out in my mind in a way that merely reading about it, or seeing it on TV can't do. Highly recommended.
Those of us who live in historic regions sometimes get a little numb to history--when you drive across the path of Pickett's Charge on a daily basis, cursing tourists or drifting snow, it takes an extra effort to realize the impact of century-old events.

That extra effort, in my mind, is embodied in the Illumination at Antietam. Candle after candle after candle, as far as you can see, is the spookiest thing I can imagine, and heartbreaking on contemplation.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Thank you for sharing this, Marguerite. Now I have a new goal, seeing all those candles. I had three ancestors in the Civil War and have always wanted to visit the places where it was fought.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Marguerite: As I sat in your living room a few weeks ago, with Wendy and the crew - working with our whistles and talking - I sensed in you a person of unique and deep thought process...Thank you for bolstering my early impression, with your comments in this thread...During one 2 year vignette in my life, I worked quite closely with weapons of massive destructive power. I understand those weapons and their capabilities, intimately. I have no pride in that knowledge, and the memories hurt. I often go to Antietam and Gettysburg - and contemplate...
Best to you.
Byll
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-08 10:09, Byll wrote:
Marguerite: As I sat in your living room a few weeks ago, with Wendy and the crew - working with our whistles and talking - I sensed in you a person of unique and deep thought process...Thank you for bolstering my early impression, with your comments in this thread...
Hmmm...I don't know what to say. But I've made an attempt in an e-mail to you.
During one 2 year vignette in my life, I worked quite closely with weapons of massive destructive power. I understand those weapons and their capabilities, intimately. I have no pride in that knowledge, and the memories hurt. I often go to Antietam and Gettysburg - and contemplate...
Best to you.
Byll
That sounds like a troublesome burden. What I've read about mental trauma, and experienced in a small way, is that you can't box it up and ignore it or whenever you revisit it by accident, it's still very painful. You have to pull it out and look at it until the sharp edges start to become blunt.

Contemplation is good. I look forward to having you back here sometime, too. Bring a fishing pole, if you like, and contemplate the creek while you're here. I find it very restful.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Paul

Post by Paul »

Each year on the first Saturday in December, more than 800 volunteers set up one lit candle for every casualty of that battle. The casualty count for that one-day battle (Sept. 17, 1862) was about 23,000 Union and Confederate troops--"America's bloodiest day." The haunting effect cannot be described. However, this man tries:
Marguerite, do you have any pictures of this event that you could post? I am sure that everyone would love to see one if you do. What a stirring thing that must be to see in person.

-Paul
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-08 15:46, Paul wrote:

Marguerite, do you have any pictures of this event that you could post? I am sure that everyone would love to see one if you do. What a stirring thing that must be to see in person.

-Paul
I don't personally have any images. You're right, Paul--it's like nothing else I've ever seen.

I did a quick web search (Google Images, looking for "antietam illumination") and found some posted at:

http://members.aol.com/brcwrt/fieldpics.htm

http://www.nps.gov/anti/photos/Mod_photo27.htm

and a 56-minute audio program (available in smaller segments) designed for Smithsonian Associates at http://civilwarstudies.org/ted/tedtalk7-28/

Some images are copyrighted so I hesitate to post them in-line here.

M

[edited to clear up ambiguity in my response]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mvhplank on 2002-12-08 18:18 ]</font>