Whistle discrimination?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Nanohedron wrote:What is all this argument about? I think we're down to parsing argument style, here, and it's mighty wearisome.
Just when you thought this thread would drift lazily down the page and disappear...

I've got to disagree with Nano here. Firstly, no one ever used to say "parse" before the pundits and the 24-hour news cycle made it a household word; its true meaning is to break down a sentence, or perhaps an argument, into component grammatical parts and discuss them as such. While I did answer a series of statements one by one, and had my reponses responded to in like kind, no one appealed to the structure of the argument itself (where there was one), so where's the parsing?

Second, if there was a complaint of mine, it was not the style of argument, but the lack of a good one. The original post was about respect for the whistle; I'm somewhere in the middle, as I confess to admiring other instruments more even as I play and enjoy the whistle myself. However, I was pretty taken aback by both the suggestion that classical music is somehow more intellectually serious than ITM, and that the whistle, and by extension the flute and other diatonic instruments in the tradition, are somehow less valid for their lack of chromatic ability in what was presented as standard use. I'm paraphrasing of course, but rather than go into each and every argument presented by the poster of this claim, I'd prefer to focus on that for a minute.

Chromaticism is not a measure of anything in music. Music is also not an evolutionary continuum, itself an inherently fallacious construction and a misappropriation of Darwin, who never proposed anything like the famous litho of the slowly evolving/standing ape-men (read Stephen Jay Gould for more on this). The fallacy would have it that the simplest rhythms and melodies are at the bottom of the ladder, and the most complex are at the top. This would be a fine representation, if complexity for complexity's sake was the goal. Fortunately, music is a human endeavour, and as such contains layers of meaning and complexity that far exceed the manifest note-count and pitch relationships of any piece in question.

Take Chinese music, for example. There may be only five notes in the scale, but the important thing is inflection, even more so than melody, much less "chromaticism." Is Hindemith better than all Chinese music? Ask a Chinese and you may get a different response than if you asked Guinness (billion-to-one odds, I'd say). For that matter, is Hindemith better than Mozart? Is James Galway better than Micho Russell? Is "Flight of the Bumblebee" the most important piece of music in the Western tradition? If I play piano with my arse, is it better than "Chopsticks?"

Music, capital "M," exists entirely independently from the instrument being played. It means different things to different people, but it has much more to do with the human component, with feeling, feeling in playing as well as feeling in response to hearing, than it does with any sort of artificial mechanical measure. The amount of good which can be transferred from one human being to another, perhaps through such a simple conveyance as a tune played on the whistle, is a much more reliable measure of musical value than is the chromatic capability of the instrument itself. When was the last time you were moved to tears contemplating the chromatic capabilities of the trombone?

I for one am glad we don't actually live in a world where the chromatically sophisticated, Western-Classical Gods swirl above us, we humble grovellers in the diatonic primordial ooze that is folk music, pausing in their jubilant flight only long enough to stoop to earth and "collect" some of our inconsequential little melodies for a symphony or a tone-poem. Hang on a minute....

Rob
TC

Post by TC »

Ladies and gentlemen would you please join me in welcoming to the stage........
Diatonic Primordial Ooze !
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Well, it's great that we can all disagree on this one. I'm convinced, without any doubt, that the whistle is one of the easiest instrument. What means easiest for me? It means that between different instruments, you'll be able to achieve an okay rhythm on whistle, with 'ok' phrasing, much faster than you would on a flute or most other instruments. The whistle allows you to go 'straight' for the meat as we say around here (actually, we don't say that, and I don't even know who's "we" !).

Now, I think to get the whistle to close to it's maximum potential is very, very hard and I could not achieve this in fifty lifetimes.

So I strongly agree with Dameon on that one. But there again, there's two (or many) 'school of thoughts' in most things in life, and I think at this point this duscussion is more philosophical than anything else :-)
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Well if we're going to get into "ease of playing" then I'd suggest that the piano is even easier than the whistle. Does that make it less of an instrument?

:)

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Bravo Rob. You really are eloquent, whereas I can only hope to spit out Cat-in-the-hat phrases by comparison (recognizing of course that eloquence and verbosity are not a measure of substance and feeling :))...

With respect to the big M:
Guinness wrote:Be it music, art, architecture, literature, or food, each form is valid in it's own right.
Despite the bolding, it seems this was overlooked by many responders. You've articulated the point much better. On this we agree.
Rob Sharer wrote:Chromaticism is not a measure of anything in music. Music is also not an evolutionary continuum, itself an inherently fallacious construction...Take Chinese music, for example...

This a value judgement, which is not universally shared. Plenty of Chinese prefer classical music, because of its complexities, the grandeur, the respect and social status, the history, the concert halls, the clothing, even the price of the tickets. Whether this is fallacious thinking or not is missing the point. Go talk to Jame$ Camer0n and tell him that he should've have had the ITM in the first class lounge and the hoity-toity stuff in the bowels of the Titanic, and you'll understand the difficulty in changing public perceptions. Well if Andres Segovia can elevate a folk instrument to the concert hall, then I suppose the whistle still has a chance.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Rob Sharer wrote:Firstly, no one ever used to say "parse" before the pundits and the 24-hour news cycle made it a household word
Bah. I've been using it daily for decades. Most computer geeks have done so
since the days of the Tech Model Railroad Club at MIT. It's an important step
in all compilers: parsing high-level code before turning it into machine
language. Of course, we also use "grok" in normal conversation, so take
that with a grain of salt, I guess.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

kennychaffin wrote:Well if we're going to get into "ease of playing" then I'd suggest that the piano is even easier than the whistle. Does that make it less of an instrument?

:)

KAC
Piano is harder'n hell.

As a music major, I had to gain a certain degree of ability (pretty minimal, really) on piano, and take "barrier exams."

It was not one of the best experiences of my life. :P

I have enough trouble with instruments that play only one note at a time! :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Piano.

Yes a good analogy.

Piano is much easier than whistle. You just press a button and hey-presto - a note!

Whistle - bit harder - you gotta have a bunch of fingers in the right spots then toot at the right pressure - and ... (after a couple of goes) hey-presto - a note!

But methinks the piano is being mistaken with the music we have come to expect out of it - e.g. it is considered passe to only use one finger on a piano - the chique always use 10 or more! Plus a little dance on the pedals is sure to get appreciation. Put airplane glue on the hammers - now we're rockin!

But methinks the whistle is being mistaken with the music we have come to expect out of it - e.g. it is considered banal to tongue each and every note - the chique always play legato! Plus some judicious embellishments (never the same twice in a row!). Stick some poster-putty in the head - now we're rockin!

hmmmm ... 9 pages demonstrating how little our expectations differ? Then arguing about the labels we put on them?

How Chique!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I'm surprised no one has suggested that the bodhran or 'jew harp' is the hardest instrument of them all yet. Seeing how delusional folks are, it's a matter of time until that one comes up.
emtor

Post by emtor »

Electrified barbed wire is no doubt the hardest to play. :D
emtor

Post by emtor »

. . . even harder is playing the whistle with your rear-end passing wind, and tounging the notes . . .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Rob Sharer wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:What is all this argument about? I think we're down to parsing argument style, here, and it's mighty wearisome.
Just when you thought this thread would drift lazily down the page and disappear...

I've got to disagree with Nano here. Firstly, no one ever used to say "parse" before the pundits and the 24-hour news cycle made it a household word; its true meaning is to break down a sentence, or perhaps an argument, into component grammatical parts and discuss them as such. While I did answer a series of statements one by one, and had my reponses responded to in like kind, no one appealed to the structure of the argument itself (where there was one), so where's the parsing?
I'm citing usus loquendi all over the map today. It's my excuse du jour. :wink:

But, fair enuf. :)
Rob Sharer wrote:Second, if there was a complaint of mine, it was not the style of argument, but the lack of a good one.
Just to let you know that I didn't direct my misusage at you. It was, like, specifically general. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thomaston: See what you've done! This is the never ending thread :lol:
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Bothrops wrote:Thomaston: See what you've done! This is the never ending thread :lol:
Do any of you, by chance, consider yourselves cutie-pies? :lol:

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, dear.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician