What the heck did I buy this time?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
drewr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What the heck did I buy this time?

Post by drewr »

I impulsively threw a bid at this in the last few minutes of the auction and now it looks like it's mine, like it or not.

I'm sure others here saw it on eBay. Maybe someone here is even the person who is selling it to me.

Anyway, it doesn't appear to be one of those knock-offs from Pakistan or East India. The seller claims it was hand-made in Quebec, but offers little else aside from a positive description of the flute's tone and playability. If it comes close to being as good as this person seems to think then I'm hopeful I got a good deal.

I know the pictures in the link are quite small, but can anyone offer a guess at this flute's background or does anyone know what I should expect when it arrives?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

The case looks like those provided with some FLO's from Pakistan. Can't say anything 'bout the flute, though. But at 62 bucks, you probably can't go too wrong. Keep us updated!

edit: the barrel's shape reminds me a bit of this FLO.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Same guy has a 5-key Pratten-styel FLO for 450 take it home price. I would not expect a whole lot from any of these. Lamp time, anybody? I hope this one turns out not to be what it looks like.
drewr

Post by drewr »

Well that's definitely not encouraging. Might be $60 wasted. I wonder where he got "made in Quebec"?

Do the FLO flutes normally have thread-wrapped tenons?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

drewr wrote:Well that's definitely not encouraging. Might be $60 wasted. I wonder where he got "made in Quebec"?

Do the FLO flutes normally have thread-wrapped tenons?
Yes they can.

At least its not yellow thread.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
azw

Post by azw »

Oh, boy. Another flute-buying maniac and I talked quite a bit about that flute. He was convinced it's a Pakistani flute, based on the wood, the design, and the coarse thread used on the tendon.

The seller replied to my request for more info, but didn't answer my question about how the flute was related to Québec. Let us know if there are any markings on it and how it plays. Maybe you lucked out!
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I was the first bidder and I'm REAL glad YOU got it! Let us know how it is...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
The Round Tree

What did you buy?

Post by The Round Tree »

Who knows until you get it. One very well known american flute maker believes in thread wrapped tenons. He thinks using cork is lazy, his words not mine. I have both, a cork wrapped keyless and 2 thread wrapped baroque flutes. Plus both my 19th century fife and my piccolo-flageolet have thread wrapped. I see no difference in the way any of them play.
Cheers:)
daiv

Re: What did you buy?

Post by daiv »

The Round Tree wrote:Who knows until you get it. One very well known american flute maker believes in thread wrapped tenons. He thinks using cork is lazy, his words not mine. I have both, a cork wrapped keyless and 2 thread wrapped baroque flutes. Plus both my 19th century fife and my piccolo-flageolet have thread wrapped. I see no difference in the way any of them play.
Cheers:)
what's wrong with thread? its just a preference... it has nothing directly to do with the quality of the rest of the flute. i like thread because you can adjust the fit according to the seasons.
azw

Post by azw »

And thread's also easy to replace. But I don't think Round Tree was saying anything negative about thread.
The Round Tree

The great thread vs cork debate.

Post by The Round Tree »

No, I wasn't knocking thread. Actually I was saying I didn't hear any difference between thread or cork wrapped flutes.
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

I saw that as well. Looked Pakistani to me and I consulted with a friend that agreed. Maybe it was STAMPED something that looked like 'bec' which they assumed stood for Quebec when in ACTUALITY it said 'becareful'! in which the 'areful' wore off? :party: Anyhow, I wish you luck with your new um... lamp, err, I mean toy!
Cork

Re: What did you buy?

Post by Cork »

The Round Tree wrote:...One very well known american flute maker believes in thread wrapped tenons...
Ralph Sweet, or, Casey Burns?
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I saw that flute and thought it looked like the flutes that Lark in the Morning sells under the "Cocus Flute" title that are also listed on eBay and sell for $210. You'll see the flutes look quite similar. http://cgi.ebay.com/Larks-Cocuswood-Iri ... dZViewItem

I actually tried one of those flutes at the Lark store in San Francisco recently and it played pretty darn well and was for sale at $235 or something. I didn't buy it but I thought it was one of their better flutes.

So, hey, it might be a good deal.

Jason
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

It looks like a blonde version of the "swirly headed" one I sold on my FOR SALE thread last year (though that had lost any case it may once have had) - pics and sound samples there. It wasn't brilliant and had minor intonation issues, but was excellent bang-for-buck, especially after I had tweaked the embouchure. If it plays as well as that, it will be a very servicable starter or travel flute/session cannon. Wherever these are made, I guess some of them are decent, but it may be a bit of a lottery. If a reputable/knowledgeable/trustworthy shop or another player has checked one out, it may be a reasonable bet, but until you get to play it, who knows?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads