How I learn tunes by ear...

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How I learn tunes by ear...

Post by eskin »

I get emails now and then from the Tradlessons site asking how I learn my tunes by ear. I have a system I use to learn tunes that works very well for me, thought I'd write it down in case anyone else would find it useful.

I happen to use a Windows XP based system, but a similar procedure would work for Mac since all the hardware and software I use is cross-platform.

I've been using "Transcribe" by Seventh String Software as my primary tool for learning tunes for many years. It is now up to version 7 and available for PC, Mac, and Linux at:

http://www.seventhstring.com

Price is about $50, and its the best $50 you'll ever spend. It is able to slow down tunes without changing pitch, or change pitch without changing speed all at very high quality. The user interface shows a waveform of the tune. You can select sections of the tune with the mouse, and drop markers using the keyboard while the tune is playing to help with isolation of A/B/C sections.

I also use a wireless recording controller from Frontier Design called the "Tranzport".

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort

It allows me to completely control Transcribe wirelessly via tape-transport style buttons and a foot pedal, so I don't have to sit right in front of my computer to practice. However, everything I'm describing here can be done via the keyboard and mouse, so it is completely optional, but highly recommended if you can spare the cash. I have developed a set of custom control mappings for the Tranzport for Transcribe, so please contact me if you'd like a copy of the settings.

Step 1: Find a recording of the version of the tune you want to learn either on CD, online recording, YouTube video, or on iTunes. The goal here is to end up with a .mp3 file of the tune.

Best case scenario is you find a version in a non-protected .mp3 or .wav file.

If the tune is only available on iTunes, since the audio file is protected you have a few options to get an unprotected .mp3 version of the recording:

Option 1: Export the tune to an audio CD, then rip the audio CD back to non-protected .mp3 format

Option 2: Run audio recording software and record the output of your computer sound card while playing the file in iTunes. This generally requires that you start recording before launching iTunes, as iTunes will disable the ability to start recording once it starts running. Save the file as a .mp3 or .wav file.

Option 3: If you have an iPod, transfer the file to the iPod, plug the headphone output of the iPod into the line-in input on your sound card, then record the file in realtime.

If you don't already have an audio editor (I like Sony SoundForge), check out Audacity, an open source sound editor available for both PC and Mac:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Step 2: Launch Transcribe and load the .mp3 or .wav file

Step 3: If the tune isn't in concert pitch (i.e. Eb flute or flat concertina or pipes), use Transcribe's transposition feature to adjust the coarse pitch and fine tuning to match your practice instrument.

Step 4: Play the tune in Transcribe, and while it is playing, use the "S" key to drop section markers at the beginnings of each of the parts of the tune.

Step 5: Now that you have adjusted the tuning and set markers, save the Transcribe settings for the tune using the "Save" option on the "File" menu.

Step 6: Set the playback speed to 50% (or 70%) by clicking on the preset tempo buttons at the top of the Transcribe window. Enable looping by clicking the loop button at the top of the window.

Step 7: Click on one of the markers you previously set, the display will scroll to the marker. Click in the waveform at the marker position and drag to the next marker and release. You have now highlighted one section of the tune.

Step 8: Click "Play". The section of tune between the markers will play and repeat forever. Adjust the speed as required. If your mouse has a scroll wheel, you can hover over the speed display at the top of the window and change the speed by moving the wheel.

Step 9: Repeat steps 7-8 for each of the sections of the tune. You can also select through multiple sections of the tune or repeat the whole tune if you're doing well.

Step 10: After doing this for as long as you can tolerate, I'd suggest a minimum of 10-15 minutes, save your settings and go do something else for a while.

Step 11: Come back after a few hours, and try to play the tune without the recording. If you're like me, you will probably not have a clue how it starts at first. Just keep trying, play a few notes, just keep at it for at least 5 minutes before giving up. Once you can get it started, probably 50% of the tune will come back to you.

Step 12: Repeat steps 7-8 for each of the sections of the tune for another 10-15 minutes, and go away for a few hours or overnight.

At this point, just keep periodically reinforcing the tune by practicing the tune a minimum of daily until it becomes second nature.

If you have the Tranzport device, I have come up with keyboard mappings for it that allow you to use the buttons on the Tranzport to drop markers, select between markers, adjust the tempo, as well as pause playback using a foot pedal. The foot pedal in particular is very handy for practicing with the Uilleann pipes or Concertina, where you're hands are pretty much completely occupied while playing, you just step on the pedal to pause the playback while you figure out a section.

I've had great success using this method for learning tunes, hope you'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Michael

For more tips, session and tune videos, please visit my site:
http://www.tradlessons.com
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

mmm... like I said, you could also use the variable playback speed which comes as standard in Windows Media Player and Real Player with no loss of quality, or you could open the mp3 in Audacity select the bit you want and apply the change tempo with changing pitch effect, save the file and you have it. Quicker and cheaper?

Alternatively, pop along to the pub, hear a great player playing a great tune, ask them what it is and if they wouldn't mind showing it to you. Although I've just realised this doesn't involve the use of a computer so it's probably not traditional :wink:
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

i just burn a CD and listen to it while driving to work and back home. or i just play along to the recording (actually I import it to iTunes) again and again, and each time pick up another bit of the tune. when a tune is played on an Eb flute, i just have to listen until i know it by heart, and then play it (what a silly idea to play music on Eb instruments).
Right now I learn the tunes from the Comhaltas "Foinn Seisiun" CDs which are learner-friendly (everything in standard pitch and at a slow tempo). I finally gave up learning from the dots. Dots have lost their sex appeal for me ;) Dots spoil the fun. The music just feels more "organic" when you learn it by ear.

Thanks for posting this, Michael. I will probably try this transcribing software soon.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

As long as you remember that learning one version of a tune is not learning the tune. This is especially important for beginners in ITM. The only correct "version" of any tune is the version the lads and lasses are playing down the pub tonight.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
eskin

Post by eskin »

MarkP, your method works just fine, mine just adds a lot of flexibility. Transcribe gives precise control of marking sections, looping, exporting pitch shifted or speed altered data, realtime changes of tempo and pitch, fine tuning of recordings, isolation of instruments from background, all that stuff that can be done in non-realtime with Audacity, but in realtime at extremely high quality with Transcribe. Lots of great tools out there, I'm just explaining a system that works well for me over the years.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I don't think Windows XP is considered trad in most circles. My session mates won't use anything later than '95.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

For Mac users there is a similar program called Amazing Slow Downer. Works great for looping, slowing down and transposing. I mostly play uilleann pipes in B so comes in handy quite a bit.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

misterpatrick wrote:For Mac users there is a similar program called Amazing Slow Downer. Works great for looping, slowing down and transposing. I mostly play uilleann pipes in B so comes in handy quite a bit.
I use amazing slowdowner on a PC. Works great...no pitch change....just slower.

Good information Mike. Thanks for the post.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I just go to the session with my dulcimer and try to play the outline of the tune. As I listen I try to add more of the melody.

I wish this worked as easily for the flute.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
FredB

Post by FredB »

Another happy PC user with the Amazing Slowdowner. All the features you mentioned. But sounds like it may have a bit more of a clunky interface than "Transcribe". May have to check it out.
Fred
fearfaoin

Re: How I learn tunes by ear...

Post by fearfaoin »

eskin wrote:Step 12: Repeat steps 7-8 for each of the sections of the tune for another 10-15 minutes, and go away for a few hours or overnight.
(emphasis mine)
I think this is the most critical step...

Way to fit it in a 12-step program, BTW.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

FredB wrote:Another happy PC user with the Amazing Slowdowner. All the features you mentioned. But sounds like it may have a bit more of a clunky interface than "Transcribe". May have to check it out.
Fred
I use ASD but based on Michael's recommendation I downloaded Transcribe as well. The GUI is better, and I like the wave form map. There's a 30 day grace period before it runs out. I just may buy it.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi Fel,

Glad you're trying out Transcribe, its been my primary tune learning tool for as long as I can remember.

What people don't quite understand about this particular application without trying it, is how responsive and realtime all the controls are, the ability to drop markers and do scripting and command key reassignment really makes this a powerful tool. For example, little things like having it play a drone note while you are dragging a microtuning slider to exactly retune to concert pitch some old recording that isn't quite in any specific pitch, or the ability to have it progressively select between markers and then loop on the next set of markers with a key press. All these little things really make for an extremely powerful learning tool. I've never seen any tool that works as well as this program for this specific purpose.

I'll have to put together a video demonstration and post it on TradLessons one of these weekends.

Just to be clear, I have no personal financial interest in this program.

M
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

Thank God for this software. It has totally changed the way I learn music. I've always mostly played by ear, but when a song or tune is playing at full speed you are going to miss things. With this stuff you can totally disect a piece of music and milk it for all that its worth.

When I took guitar lessons as a teen my, guitar teacher (who was really great) told me that if I'm watching TV or listening to the Radio to just try and fiqure out whatever was on. Even if I only got a couple of notes out of it. I did this and my accuracy improved, but slow downer software is the real way to go now.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
eskin

Post by eskin »

Another great feature of Transcribe is that it can also slow down videos as well as audio files. Last night, I was just learning Tom Lehrer's "The Masochism Tango" on the concertina from a video file posted on YouTube, which I grabbed with UnPlug and had converted to h.264 with Super.