Oh, heaven help me!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Oh, heaven help me!

Post by Redwolf »

A couple of the people at my church have been organizing free Sunday evening "mini-concerts"...45 minutes or so of music with some light snacks...a nice way to spend a bit of the evening, and a way of helping people see the church as a part of Santa Cruz's downtown culture. I volunteered to play a couple of tunes tomorrow night. I just got the program and oh my...it's me and my little cláirseach playing Carolan's Welcome and Brian Boru's March along with people doing Scarlatti and Beethoven! Gulp!

I keep having to repeat to myself "You are not a poser. You are not a poser. You and your harp and this music belong here." Now if I could just start to believe it....

If you're of the praying kind, I sure could use it!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

You got it, Red.

And take it from me, your music belongs right in there with Scarlatti and Beethoven (who was himself a fan of folk music, as were many of the greats).

Have fun. :party:

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

O'Carolan can hold his own against that bunch any day.

:thumbsup:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Psst: It's not scarlatti hisself playing. It'll be someone like you, feeling very out of place.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: cool!

of course! :D
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

I was just at a concert for homeschool students this afternoon. Along with the middle school kids on squeaky violins and the little girls in tutus, there was a sister duo playing harp and hammered dulcimer. It was the most amazing, mysterious, ethereal sound-- it brought tears to my eyes. I talked to the girls afterwards and told them how moved I'd been by their music. They were gracious enough, but didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Then I realized, they listen to harp music every day-- it doesn't sound ethereal and mysterious to them!

Redwolf, if the people in your audience are like me, it's been a long time since they've heard live harp-playing, and the sound of the instrument itself will be very moving for them. :love:
hyldemoer

Re: Oh, heaven help me!

Post by hyldemoer »

I see it now.
They'll all be shuffling paper and playing Scarlatti and Beethoven from the dots

and then you stroll in with your little cláirseach and play Carolan's Welcome and Brian Boru's March the Irish way, from your heart.

You go girl!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I am sure you will do fine. The program sounds fine too. The bad thing would be if you and the other performers were going to do the same or very similar work.

I've been on stage before and after some accomplished professionals, and I am what some would term a poser. For casual crowds the amateurs get plenty of leeway.

Harp music is usually well received and you have played for plenty of audiences. It is a casual get together, not a judged competition. Have a good time and enjoy. Sharing music can be a magical experience.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

You'll knock 'em dead, Red, no doubt at all!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Are you going to dress up all "traditional"? :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Turlough O'Carolan (Gaelic: Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin, 1670 - March 25, 1738)

Note his dates. They place him squarely in the Baroque period right along with JS Bach (1685-1750). You'll be just fine.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

djm wrote:Are you going to dress up all "traditional"? :wink:

djm
Hmmm...playing a harp while trying not to show everybody a lot more than they want to see might be rather challenging....

Redwolf
djm

Post by djm »

Redwolf wrote:playing a harp while trying not to show everybody a lot more than they want to see might be rather challenging
Well, you could get a second really curly Irish "traditional" wig and ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas

Post by chas »

I think people will love you on your harp. I used to play mu dulcimer at the occasional college pub or folk club open-mic night. Even the college kids were captivated by the weird instrument -- it beat the hell out of another duo on acoustic guitars playing more Dead or Simon and Garfunkel. They'll love the harp, especially since most of them probably have never seen a lever harp.

And I assume there won't be a harpsichord -- Scarlatti just doesn't sound right on the piano. I never saw what the big deal about him was in the 70's and 80's, till I heard someone play his music on the harpsichord -- it's a totally different experience.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I think my biggest fear is not doing this tradition and my instrument justice. I know intellectually that that fear is all between my ears...that I can play with passion and beauty and conviction, and that the people I'm playing for AND the other performers are fully capable of appreciating music from a different tradition. I know that this music is wonderful. I just need to believe in myself.

One thing I'm carrying with me tonight: Back in September, when I was at the Deireadh Seachtaine na Gaeltachta in San Francisco, I managed to find a little time off in a back room, by myself, to play my lap harp. I was working on Boru, to get it ready for the Highland Games in October, so that's what I was playing. I was all by myself (I thought), so I really let myself get into the music and the story it tells. I played the last chord, and I heard a sigh. I looked up, and there was one of my fellow students, who happens to be from Ireland. She smiled and said "you took me right along with you."

If I can do that tonight, I'll have no complaints.

Redwolf