I can't play it

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
space cadet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I can't play it

Post by space cadet »

Hi, everybody, It's me with another newbie question. I want to start off by saying I really appreciate you all - what a great bunch to take us newbies under your collective wings and get us started off right :)

I started branching out with some additional keys. I bought a Generation B flat. Love the sound - but I can't play the darn thing :( My fingers seem so stubby and short - I can cover all the holes with my right hand, but when I go to play it, I have trouble covering them back up again. I have played it about twice. Is this something that will get better with time and practise? At what point do I give up and say that my hands are simply too small? I had grand ideas about getting an alto G, now I am glad I didn't jump into something that expensive. Any suggestions? I tried using my little finger, that doesn't work. I also tried that modified chanter's grip I have seen pictures of in learning how to play a low whistle. No luck with that either. Suggestions?
Linda
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A B-flat whistle isn't really all that big...unless you have tiny hands you shouldn't have much trouble...once you get used to it.

That said, if you are used to playing high D whistles, a B-flat is going to feel like an unwieldy monster the first couple of times you try it.

Give yourself a bit of time to get used to the whistle.

Also, you may want to read up on piper's grip...just search the forums, you'll find lots of stuff on it.

Most folks don't need piper's grip to play a B-flat, but if you're having trouble because your hands are really small, it may help.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

How small are your hands anyway?

Bb, like said, isn't that big.

You'll get used to it. Keep at it.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I use the piper's grip with my right hand while playing my Bb Generation. It feels most comfortable. I just got a Copeland A, which i also do the same with, but I keep missing the holes, too. It'll come.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Yes, keep practicing, a Bb whistle is nothing.. I think that even a child could reach it with piper's grip!
When I first bought my Gen Bb (after playing only a high D whistle for a few months) I felt very uncomfortable too, I wasn't able to play a tune without missing the bottom hole.
After a few weeks I was able to play it in the same way than my high D.

KEEP AT IT, you can, I'm sure.

See a video of myself playing a Gen Bb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbiEbuXhSFs
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Aanvil wrote:How small are your hands anyway?

Bb, like said, isn't that big.

You'll get used to it. Keep at it.
Have you seen that Burger King commercial about the guy with the tiny hands?

That's what I'm imagining here. :)

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

As an intermediate step between a D and a Bb, try a C.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

brewerpaul wrote:As an intermediate step between a D and a Bb, try a C.
That's really good advice!

A C whistle is a very handy whistle to have, there are some session tunes that just don't work well on a D whistle but that lie perfectly on the C...Julia Delaney, for instance.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I bought a used Howard low D, which I can't play to save my life. But 5 minutes with it sets me up to play the rest of the pack with ease. It's kind of like a baseball player swinging two bats before going to the plate. Buy yourself a really big whistle!!! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
emtor

Post by emtor »

Is this something that will get better with time and practise?
Yes.
At what point do I give up and say that my hands are simply too small?
On your deathbed :lol:
I had grand ideas about getting an alto G, now I am glad I didn't jump into something that expensive. Any suggestions?
Buy it!
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi space cadet,

I find this stretch also awkward. Some whistles, even in D have a longer stretch than others.
I'm sure everyone is right by saying keep at it and you will get there, however i personally look for a whistle with hole positioning i feel comfortable with.
I have made a few whistles myself, and try to put the holes where my fingers want them. If you look at different hand made whistles they all vary with hole size and placement.
have a look at some whistle reviews and study the pictures. It could be easier to buy a whistle which works for you, instead of giving up with something that doesn't
GOOD LUCK AND KEEP AT IT!
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

It will come with practice, I would think. I have short, stubby fingers. Your problem may be one of not being relaxed enough to feel the holes. If you squeeze too hard, you reduce or lose the sense of touch (some call this the "death grip").

Now, I find my Generation Bb (with a Hoover Blacktop fipple) to be the most comfortable whistle to play that I have.

I use the first pads of my fingers on my whistles down to low G and the piper's grip on the low F on down. The hole spacing on my low F is just about the same stretch as on my D chanter.
space cadet

Post by space cadet »

Thanks, everybody. Once again, I really appreciate all the help and support. Just how short are my fingers? I can stretch and reach an octave on a piano, but it isnt' a comfortable reach at all. I also got a C whistle in the same batch; I can play it easily and really like the tone. I will keep trying and experimenting.
Linda
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

(I didn't read the posts)
I have small stubby fingers too. C is the best I can manage. Bb is a serious stretch for me. Luckily, 99% of ITM can be played on a D, and the other 1% on a C.
Short bio: 1952-
Tia

Post by Tia »

your probably just used to the spacings on teh D, maybe play in front of a mirror, and getting a C is a good idea too
-Music is a magic beyond everything-