Picking a whistle...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Another Whistler

Post by Another Whistler »

I am looking to buy a more expensive soprano D whistle. I want one that will have a sweet(ish)sound, plays in tune, and can be heard well when playing with other instruments. Here are some of the ones I am looking at:
Chieftain, Harper, Kerry, and Overton. If anyone could give me some input on what they think of these whistles it would be realy appreciated. Thanks.
Constance
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Constance »

Hey there Another, have you considered the new Reyburn high D with the Delrin head. It sounds to me like it fills all of your needs and you get a bonus of having it tuneable.
Check it out.
Constance
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

'nother whistler, you don't say where you post from.
I'd have suggested that, all things equal or nearly, you chose in your vicinity : direct contact with a whistlesmith is a service, and avoiding expensive transatlantic shipment will end up paying a few whistles, or extra bodies.
For instance, if you live in Uptown Fairbanks, get a Tully :razz: etc.

BTW, edit your profiles, folks : you won't catch no Internet clap by publishing where you are and a bit of who you are ! The rubber is already taken care of : it's your Username, and you even have Private Messages, so Chiffboard is totally prophylactic
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I know a guy who has a Copeland. It'll cut right through a fairly large session, and it has a sweet tone. However, I would opt for a Burke. Not the loudest, but it's gotta be the sweetest (IMHO).
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

If, by sweet, you mean pure, then I would recommend a Silkstone alloy d. The others mentioned have a bit of breath in their sound.

~J
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

This is a matter of personal taste to a great degree, so with that disclaimer, here's my opinion. Judging by the description of what you want, I think you might be somewhat disappointed with any of the group you mentioned. IMHO, the Chieftain is not as good as the Overton and can be strident. The Overton, while a fine whistle, is certainly not "sweet" or pure in tone and IMHO Overtons get better as they get bigger (i.e., lower keys). I've never played either a Kerry or Harper soprano D, but what I've heard is very mixed and does not match your requirements.

I would recommend Copeland, Burke, Silkstone, Sindt. (Although I agree with Jessie that the Copeland may not be sweet, I think it sounds so great, anyone would like it anyway.)

Take care.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

oh I'm picking out a whistle for you
not an ordinary whistle for you
but the extra best whistle you can buy
with vinyl pink strips and a cup built right in
oh I'm picking out a whistle for you
and maybe a barometer too
oh what can I buy so on me you'll rely?
a rear-end thermometer tooooooo......
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I agree with all the previous posters, none of those you mentioned are sweet-sounding, at least to my ears.

In the moderate price range, I might suggest a Water Weasel -- they vary some in sound, but mine is a tad chiffy, but very sweet-sounding. Burke Al Pro is a little more. If you wanna go for the higher range ($200 plus) a Grinter or, the sweetest of all, a Rose.

Charlie
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Another Whistler,

Contact me at my email address jdurdin@heartland.net if you are interested in trying one of the whistles mentioned in the answers to your original post.

jim
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

On 2002-12-06 17:10, JessieK wrote:
If, by sweet, you mean pure, then I would recommend a Silkstone alloy d. The others mentioned have a bit of breath in their sound.

~J
Yep, Jessie's right on the mark here, it is a really sweet pure sounding whistle with fantastic intonation.

Richard
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

Copeland all the way.
-Ross
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2002-12-07 15:11, DrRichard wrote:
On 2002-12-06 17:10, JessieK wrote:

~J
Yep, Jessie's right on the mark here, it is a really sweet pure sounding whistle with fantastic intonation.

Richard
For a little less money, the Silkstone PVC whistles also have that pure, sweet tone with no chiff that I can detect.
elliott

Post by elliott »

Yep. Silkstone PVC - sweet and loud.
Copeland - awesome.
My Water Weasel is not too loud, but sweet.
Try the Dixon! $16 at The Whistle Shop. Loud enough and sweet enough. Sounds like a whistle, too!
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I'll 2nd the Dixon vote. It's one of the sweetest sounding whistles I own (if I'm using sweet in the same way you are). Watch the tuning though...mine get's way off in the 2nd octave (enough that people I play with have commented on it).

-Brett

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bretton on 2002-12-08 19:53 ]</font>
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Why don't people use the word "pure" if they mean pure? The purest tone possible is that of a perfect sine wave, but it is a weird, synthetic sound, so neutral in character that it is neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Add a few even harmonics of suitable amplitude, and you no longer have a pure tone, but a very sweet (i.e., pleasant, non-strident) tone. Toss a few odd harmonics into the mix, and the tone gains character, like what nuts do in a chocolate bar.