Favorite American beers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

You've definitely got me intrigued, Steve. I have no clue if I've ever had unpasteurized beer, but I'm guessing I haven't. And I'm not sure if I'd have much opportunity here in Alabama.
Actually, our local session is at a microbrewery. I'll have to ask them if they pasteurize. They tend to have some decent stuff sometimes.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Reading through the comments about the different beers being recommended, I saw that Abita beer was mentioned. This beer is brewed in Abita Springs, Louisianna, which is just across the Lake from New Orleans. My brother moved to Abita Springs a few years ago, so it has been my good fortune on several occasions to visit Abita Springs and sample the great Abita beers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abita_Brewing_Company
Abita Springs was heavily damaged by hurricane Katrina, so the Abita Brewing Company has come out with a special beer where a portion of the sale of the beer to go to Katrina restoration.
http://www.abita.com/party/restoration_ale.html
If you are ever in the regions, stop by the Brew Pub in scenic downtown Abita Springs.
http://www.abitabrewpub.com/
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Thomaston wrote:You've definitely got me intrigued, Steve. I have no clue if I've ever had unpasteurized beer, but I'm guessing I haven't. And I'm not sure if I'd have much opportunity here in Alabama.
Actually, our local session is at a microbrewery. I'll have to ask them if they pasteurize. They tend to have some decent stuff sometimes.
The received wisdom was that draught Guinness was unpasteurised if you bought it in Ireland but pasteurised in the UK. I believe the situation has changed now that it's no longer brewed under licence in the UK. Whether that means it's all unpasteurised now I'll leave someone else to research. Bottled Guinness, a very different drink to the draught, was always unpasteurised, and bottle-conditioned, at one time, and may still be for all I know. I doubt whether any canned Guinness is unpasteurised. In the UK, "cask-conditioned" means unpasteurised beer that will throw a live yeast sediment in the cask, which has to be set in a certain position and left to settle in order for the beer to be served bright. It often gets a bad name because of mishandling by pubs which break into the cask then leave it for many days to get used up. Once a cask is tapped it needs to be used up in no more than three days, otherwise the beer goes rapidly downhill. I have no idea what the situation is in the US apropos of bottle-conditioned beers, but here it will always say so on the label - you have to have the bottle settled and pour it in one go, slowly, to avoid getting the sediment in the glass which will cloud the beer (though it doesn't affect the taste). The most famous early example, apart from bottled Guinness (which never proclaimed its bottle-conditioned status - you'd never notice any sediment in the glass anyway in such a dark beer), was Worthington White Shield. There are quite a few more these days. The brewery with which I'm associated, Sharp's, currently has two bottle-conditioned beers, Chalky's Bite (named after Rick Stein's dog) at 6.8% and First Reserve, at 4.5%. They're both absolute gems, but I would say that wouldn't I.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Steve - I agree with you that bottle conditioned beers are head and shoulders above regular bottled beers. I'm lucky enough to live 3 blocks from a microbrewery that does carry a couple of cask conditioned ales (75th Street Brewery if any of you make it to Kansas City) they brew. Our local "micro-brewer" Boulevard, now not really "micro" since they cover about 7 states, bottle conditions their beers... and I really like their Pale Ale and Stout. Bridgeport from somewhere in the northwest also bottle conditions and makes a fine ESB.

ERic
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Jayhawk wrote:Steve - I agree with you that bottle conditioned beers are head and shoulders above regular bottled beers. I'm lucky enough to live 3 blocks from a microbrewery that does carry a couple of cask conditioned ales (75th Street Brewery if any of you make it to Kansas City) they brew. Our local "micro-brewer" Boulevard, now not really "micro" since they cover about 7 states, bottle conditions their beers... and I really like their Pale Ale and Stout. Bridgeport from somewhere in the northwest also bottle conditions and makes a fine ESB.

ERic
Excellent stuff! I hope your brewery is just as fussy as Sharp's about the quality of its malt supplies and that they refuse to use those horrid hop extracts. Lovely, sweet malty flavours, plenty of fruit esters on the nose and a firm undercurrent of fresh hoppiness on the palate, all leading to a long, mouth-watering linger. Yum. You don't get that from gut-rot Stella or Bud!

chas

Post by chas »

Thomaston wrote:You've definitely got me intrigued, Steve. I have no clue if I've ever had unpasteurized beer, but I'm guessing I haven't. And I'm not sure if I'd have much opportunity here in Alabama.
Most American beers aren't pasteurized, but filtered within an inch of their lives. A filter to get out bacteria will also remove all yeast.

There are some widely available American beers that are unfiltered -- Sierra Nevada comes immediately to mind. If you get a fairly fresh bottle, you can culture yeast from it. Many brewpubs offer cask-conditioned ales on tap. If they offer a hefeweizen, that is by definition unfiltered.

I've been gone, so am ringing in a little late, but: I agree that Yeungling is a great value for a pretty decent beer. A couple of others that are widely available for about the same price are Saranac and (especially) Shiner. To give an analogy to what others have said about other beers, a highlight of visiting Texas is fresh Shiner Bock on tap.

For widely available beers, I'm quite fond of Pete's Wicked, Sierra Nevada (pale ale and porter), Anchor Steam (also porter and their Christmas ale), Red Hook, many others.

Some locals I like are Dominion, Wild Goose (although it's not the same since Frederick bought them), Magic Hat (a Vermont brewery that appears to be trying to go national, and their quality is slipping now, too), Bar Harbor (smallest brewery with an ATF license). . .

If I had to pick a favorite American beer other than my own raspberry wheat, it would probably be a tie between Anchor Steam and Dominion Stout. If I'm on the West Coast and they're fresh on tap, it'd be Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Steve - no hops extracts for either the 75th Street Brewery or Boulevard...just the real stuff.

God I love beer...

Eric
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Nirvana. :)

Brewster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brewster »

Some of my favorites are:

Geary's Special Ale from Portland, ME (might have something to do with the 7% alcohol)

http://www.gearybrewing.com/pages/hsa.php

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog from Portsmouth, NH

http://www.smuttynose.com/pages/beers.html

When I'm in the west, I like Fat Tire, but I can't get it here in MA.
jkwest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Jayhawk wrote: Bridgeport from somewhere in the northwest also bottle conditions and makes a fine ESB.

ERic
Portland, OR.

They make one helluva IPA.

My favorite drinking beer is made by Mendocino Brewing Co. Red Tail Ale.....yumyum.

some of you mentioned Fat Tire, which is brewed by New Belgium Brewing Co....they offer this amazing organic wheat beer called Mothership Wit that is simply amazing...if you can find it, I command you to try it!

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

MTGuru wrote:Not American but North American ... I'm very fond of "La Fin du Monde" from Unibroue in Québec. A rich triple-fermented Belgian style beer. All their beers are subtle and interesting, and the labels are works of art.

http://www.unibroue.com/index_eng.html

How can you go wrong with a cool quaff of "End of the World"?
They've also got on called "Terrible" :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

There is a belgian beer "Pirat", the pirate that is justamazing. Lots of taste and fairly alcoholic.

Kinda funny- the topic is "American beer" and we nater on about Belgian's
Last edited by fel bautista on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

MTGuru wrote:Not American but North American ... I'm very fond of "La Fin du Monde" from Unibroue in Québec. A rich triple-fermented Belgian style beer. All their beers are subtle and interesting, and the labels are works of art.

http://www.unibroue.com/index_eng.html

How can you go wrong with a cool quaff of "End of the World"?

Hey seems we share a similar taste in brew too.

Just had a Fin du just the other day.

You know Sapporo owns them now... I haven't noticed any change to the worse over the last few years.

If you are up here some other time there is a brew place we gotta go to.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

jkwest wrote:
Jayhawk wrote: Bridgeport from somewhere in the northwest also bottle conditions and makes a fine ESB.

ERic
Portland, OR.

They make one helluva IPA.
Indeed they do.

In 2006, Portland, Oregon surpassed Heidelberg (I think...) to become the city with the most breweries within its city limits of any in the world. In my opinion, some of the best beer in North America, if not the world, is being made in Portland and surrounding parts of Oregon.

Probably one of my favorites is the Terminal Gravity IPA. Amnesia Brewing Co. does a pretty good pale ale and an absolutely amazing pilsner, though I'm not sure how widely available it is outside Portland. Head over to their brewery on N. Mississippi St. and bring some empty Mason jars with you...In the past, I haven't been all that partial to porter, but Alameda Brewing Co. does a very nice porter that's very smooth with a subtle, almost chocolatey finish.

See more for yourself at http://www.portlandbeer.org. God, I love living here...

Beyond the Pacific Northwest, I like Anchor Steam and some of the things coming out of the Mendocino Brewing Co. If we were to expand to North America in general and bring in our Canadian cousins, there is some outstanding beer being brewed up there. I recall having a very nice Scotch Ale from Swans in Victoria. "La Fin du Monde" has been mentioned already and is good stuff (gave me a vicious hangover after election night in 2004...). Probably my favorite Canadian beer is Propeller ESB brewed in Halifax. Damned hard to find down here in the States, unfortunately.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

There is a sad deficiency in bitters in general in the US. We had a great bitter, Ten Penny Bitter, made by Boulevard, that went the way of the Dodo.

Personally, I think most US drinkers are turned off by the term bitter - the few bitters around tend to only call themselves ESBs, and many yanks (we intellectual giants in this thread are excluded) aren't bright enough to know what that stands for.

Eric