Destination Truth: a Critique by Nano

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Destination Truth: a Critique by Nano

Post by Nanohedron »

Is there any greater waste of television air time than that founded on the crashings in the dark of a big galoot whose script seems to consist mainly of, "*Bleep*!" and "What the *bleep* was that??" and "I think I saw something. But it's not there, now. OH *BLEEP*! Did you hear that? What was that? Man...*bleep*."?

I think not. You'd think he could maybe show us a monster, or stub his toe, or something.

I never thought I'd say this, but at least "Reality" TV has something resembling content. And don't bother pointing out the narrative bits. Be honest - no one listens to those.

Hey, I just put four different punctuation marks in a row. Cool.

:wink:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steamwalker

Re: Destination Truth: a Critique by Nano

Post by Steamwalker »

Nanohedron wrote:Is there any greater waste of television air time than that founded on the crashings in the dark of a big galoot whose script seems to consist mainly of, "*Bleep*!" and "What the *bleep* was that??" and "I think I saw something. But it's not there, now. OH *BLEEP*! Did you hear that? What was that? Man...*bleep*."?
I actually like those kind of movies, like an M Night Shamalan film or the Blair Witch Project. I know the in-thing is to say the Blair Witch Project sucked but to me, it was scary as all get out. Less is more, I believe. I think The Mist would have been better had we not seen what lurks in the mist. In truth though, I don't know what tv show you are talking about.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Okay, I just looked it up and it sounds highly appealing to me. I always loved cryptozoology.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steamwalker wrote:In truth though, I don't know what tv show you are talking about.
It's on the cable SciFi Channel. Some info:

http://www.scifi.com/destinationtruth/

Yeah, I think it's basically the same sort of "BOO!" show concept as the others you mentioned. I can see how they might be fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a topic with the title "Blah Blah Blah: a [whatzit] by Nano". I hadn't done that yet and was feeling a bit left out.

I'm not hip or "in", and the show still seems like wasted time to me. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I thought you were talking about "Hell's Kitchen." I was typing my Idol contribution tonight and I kept hearing this beeping coming from the front of the house. I finally got up to check and it was Hells Kitchen. Cause every time that cook swears its a beep. Or a bleep. Or...you get the picture.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Nanohedron wrote: ...I'm not hip or "in"...
Another idol crumbles.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
missy

Post by missy »

I couldn't watch Blair Witch - made me carsick. And I hate that so many other movies and shows have taken to using that camera "technique".

I thought you were talking about that ghost show on the Travel Channel. Same thing, probably, but they do all their filming in night vision. Why bother with a color TV, take an old B&W (if it could get cable), put green plastic over the front and you'd have the same effect.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

The Weekenders wrote:I thought you were talking about "Hell's Kitchen." I was typing my Idol contribution tonight and I kept hearing this beeping coming from the front of the house. I finally got up to check and it was Hells Kitchen. Cause every time that cook swears its a beep. Or a bleep. Or...you get the picture.
On that subject, be aware you get a very different Gordon Ramsey than we do (though he still swears):
http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink ... on_ramsay/
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:I thought you were talking about "Hell's Kitchen." I was typing my Idol contribution tonight and I kept hearing this beeping coming from the front of the house. I finally got up to check and it was Hells Kitchen. Cause every time that cook swears its a beep. Or a bleep. Or...you get the picture.
Weeks, I think the *bleep* thing in Destination Truth is to beef up the content. Remove the *bleeps* (should that be *bleep*s?), and you get the picture. Well, really, you can't, so substitute "hey" for *bleep* and read the content. Same diff.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

chrisoff wrote:
On that subject, be aware you get a very different Gordon Ramsey than we do (though he still swears):
http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink ... on_ramsay/
Yeah, I can't even watch it, it's so obviously contrived with lousy cooks to set up the inevitable reaction.

I guess it wouldn't be exciting to have good chefs on there, not enough tension.

Cooking is really hard work. I guess Ramsay is pickin' up a hefty paycheck and making his life good by playing down to the lowered expectation... I guess I don't blame him...
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: ...I'm not hip or "in"...
Another idol crumbles.
In Nano's case, might that not be "Another Idle crumbles?" :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I heard that.
dwest

Post by dwest »

[..
Last edited by dwest on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

My husband was watching Hell's Kitchen the other night, and he said his drill sargent in the Army didn't swear half as much as that guy does. I have no respect for people who can't say two words without swearing.
Charlene