Elfsong Impressions (long)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nickt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nickt »

.....you will be elfsimilated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickt on 2002-12-06 08:50 ]</font>
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2002-12-06 08:49, nickt wrote:
.....you will be elfsimilated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickt on 2002-12-06 08:50 ]</font>
Heh...some of my favorite variants:

I am Homer of Borg...you will be...oooh, donuts.

I am dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated. (Sorry for anyone else that suffers from this as I do, although mine is mild.)

I am blonde of Borg. You...uhm....kinda cute?

Aodhan
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-06 04:48, nickt wrote:
Sheesh - I'm going to have to get one of these things! Great review Redwolf, and at the risk of sounding utterly crass, I am a great fan of quality written English, and you got me hook line and sinker with your writing!
Thanks! I was a writer and editor before becoming a full-time mom (in fact, among many other things, I used to write restaurant reviews), so it's good to know I haven't lost my edge. :smile:

Redwolf
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Redwolf, great review. I drool over those Elfsong pics every time I look at them. Would that I had money for a new whistle!! If I do get some, I think I might definitely go for an Elfsong as my first high-end.

One question: did I miss it, or did you not mention the mouthpiece? Which did you get, copper or brass? How do you like it? How does it feel? I only have one whistle with a metal mouthpiece and it's kind of hard to get used to. All the rest are plastic mouthpieces (cheapies).

Thanks!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-06 13:22, Cees wrote:
Redwolf, great review. I drool over those Elfsong pics every time I look at them. Would that I had money for a new whistle!! If I do get some, I think I might definitely go for an Elfsong as my first high-end.

One question: did I miss it, or did you not mention the mouthpiece? Which did you get, copper or brass? How do you like it? How does it feel? I only have one whistle with a metal mouthpiece and it's kind of hard to get used to. All the rest are plastic mouthpieces (cheapies).

Thanks!
I mentioned it in passing, but only to comment on its appearance (lovely and nicely finished).

I have a copper mouthpiece, and the more I play it the better I like it. This is my first whistle with a metal mouthpiece (other than a Clarke original, which I disliked, not because of the metal, but because of the unpleasant feel of the unfinished wooden fipple plug. The smooth finish on the Elfsong's hardwood plug takes care of this problem nicely).

The only thing that took a little getting used to is the tendency for a little moisture to build up under my upper lip before the whistle is fully warmed up. It isn't unpleasant...when I noticed it, it was more a matter of "Oh dear, am I having a spitty day?" :smile:. Once I stopped to think, I realized it was a natural consequence of blowing warm air over relatively cool metal, and it wasn't an issue. I can either exercise more care to warm the whistle up before playing (which is a good idea anyway, as it really helps prevent clogging), or just discretely wipe my lip between tunes until the temperature of the mouthpiece and my mouth are in sync (which usually doesn't take more than a tune or two).

I really like the shape of the mouthpiece...it feels quite comfortable between my lips.

Redwolf

(Edited to add a comma, because, yes...I am an obsessive! :wink: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-12-06 13:39 ]</font>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-05 14:38, Redwolf wrote:
[snipped mightily] I do want to mention the headpiece, as someone said in a previous thread (sorry, I can't remember who) that he or she had seen one that appeared to be rather rough-finished. My guess is that either that person saw a very early prototype or the headpiece had been abused by its owner in some way...the one I have is beautifully finished, and shows no residual marks from whatever tools may have been used in shaping or cutting it. [much more snipping]

Redwolf
I believe it was Wendina who said that about my Elfsong. I don't know Wendina well, personally, but I respect her experience and expertise. Her standards are VERY high.

In the Elfsong's defense, I <i>never</i> felt that the mouthpiece looked "unfinished" or even "roughly finished." "Handmade," maybe, but I don't count that as a blemish at all. (No, I certainly did NOT abuse it! :smile: )

I had presumed Sandy had a jig of some sort set up to mass produce the mouthpiece until I was able to compare it to a second mouthpiece. Both beautiful, each one unique. (By the way, I went for the engraved name option on each one, too.)

I'll let the more experienced players talk about how Elfsongs play and sound--I'll just tell you that of the variety of whistles I've collected, they're the ones I always pick up first.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-06 13:37, Redwolf wrote:
On 2002-12-06 13:22, Cees wrote:

Thanks!
I mentioned it in passing, but only to comment on its appearance (lovely and nicely finished).

I have a copper mouthpiece, and the more I play it the better I like it. This is my first whistle with a metal mouthpiece (other than a Clarke original, which I disliked, not because of the metal, but because of the unpleasant feel of the unfinished wooden fipple plug. The smooth finish on the Elfsong's hardwood plug takes care of this problem nicely).

The only thing that took a little getting used to is the tendency for a little moisture to build up under my upper lip before the whistle is fully warmed up. It isn't unpleasant...when I noticed it, it was more a matter of "Oh dear, am I having a spitty day?" :smile:. Once I stopped to think, I realized it was a natural consequence of blowing warm air over relatively cool metal, and it wasn't an issue. I can either exercise more care to warm the whistle up before playing (which is a good idea anyway, as it really helps prevent clogging), or just discretely wipe my lip between tunes until the temperature of the mouthpiece and my mouth are in sync (which usually doesn't take more than a tune or two).

I really like the shape of the mouthpiece...it feels quite comfortable between my lips.

Redwolf

(Edited to add a comma, because, yes...I am an obsessive! :wink: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-12-06 13:39 ]</font>
One further note: I may be wrong (and I'm open to correction), but I suspect the copper may be one reason this whistle doesn't clog badly once it's warmed up. Copper is an excellent heat conductor, thus it reaches the same temperature as the air going through it relatively quickly and tends to hold that temperature as long as it's being played. This could allow for less condensation along the top and sides of the windway.

Redwolf
mendel5

Post by mendel5 »

I'm very new to whistling and wanted to know if it's difficult to change tubes. Redwolf, you said you ordered two tubes. If you change tubes too much will the tubes begin to get loose?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-06 14:34, mendel5 wrote:
I'm very new to whistling and wanted to know if it's difficult to change tubes. Redwolf, you said you ordered two tubes. If you change tubes too much will the tubes begin to get loose?
Hi Mendel,

Changing tubes is really simple. On a tunable whistle, the bottom part of the headpiece is slightly wider in diameter than the bottom tube...it just slides on. To change tubes, you just pull the headpiece straight off (perhaps with a slight twist if it's a bit stubborn), then slide it on to the other tube. It's a nice, snug fit, so the tube won't slip around or slide off. To tune it, you pull the headpiece slightly out (it's a little sharp when it's pushed all the way on) until your bell note is in tune with whatever instrument or tuner you're using.

Theoretically yes...eventually the fit could get less snug, especially if you tend to rock the headpiece when pulling it out (thus de-forming the tube), though it seems a little less likely to happen with this heavy-gauge tubing than it might be with a lighter-gauge material. Sandy includes suggestions for fixing this if it occurs...sounds like a fairly easy fix.

Redwolf

(edited to correct a stupid mistake :wink: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-12-06 18:20 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Image Changing tubes is just a question of good technique. Forget the screwdrivers : it should be handled with bare hands.

The trick is to always start and stop at the opposite of the valve, and to slightly tap the tyre so it unglues from the rim. In cold weather, use soapy water.

...Er... Image This not the MTB board ? :oops:
It's true: I read it on Internet.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Silly, silly, silly :wink:

One thing I did forget to mention (and something those of you who are eagerly awaiting Elfsongs will want to know)...this whistle shows off its best voice when it's thoroughly warm (this may be true of other high-end whistles, or even all whistles...I don't know. It's very obvious with this one). It sounds fine for the first few tunes, but it'll really wow you once you've blown through it for a while. If you're performing (or just want to show off your new treasure to admiring friends and family members), it's worth taking it into the green room and playing a few tunes or practice exercises on it first, just as you would warm up your voice before singing, so it shows off its voice to best advantage. Of all my instruments, this one is the most like a human voice, both in temperment and tonality :smile:

Redwolf
roycustomknives

Post by roycustomknives »

On 2002-12-06 02:32, Sandy Jasper wrote:
I just want to say thanks to Redwolf for an amazingly thorough review! And to everyone else for the kind comments. It sure makes it worth while to go back into the workshop and get out the tools!

Sandy
It's like I said before:
Sandy is a Genius, Sandy is a Genius, Sandy is a Genius, Sandy is a Genius!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roycustomknives on 2002-12-06 19:47 ]</font>
elliott

Post by elliott »

Tech tip: You can make most reverb disappear by listening in MONO.
“Poor man,” said I, “you pay too much for your whistle.”
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

ummmh....your making my mouth water....i have a combo a/Bb on order. anticpation
Elerossë

Post by Elerossë »

Redwolf, thank you so much for the review. I am eagerly awaiting my C/D combo, and you have put to rest all my worries!

Kaitlin