Kevin Crawford: A class act!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Kevin Crawford: A class act!

Post by fyffer »

A couple of weeks ago I posted kind of a 'mystery workshop' type of post "Calling Southern New England Fluters".

Well, we had the workshop last night, and it was an intimate (10 participants) session with Kevin Crawford. A handful of Chiffers were there, some of whom because of responding to my mysterious posting (I'll let them reveal themselves if they want), and it was a fantastic evening. The workshop was geared toward an intermediate level (thank goodness), and he gave us a couple of new tunes, with his own little twists and turns all over the place. The focus was not so much on trying to create a particular sound, or crisp ornamentation, but instead on getting the pulse and rhythm right. He emphasized a couple of times that recently he has been drawn to players and tunes that are not as flashy as he once preferred in his 'reckless youth', but that the simple tune was enough.

He had originally given the attendees 4 tunes to have prepared for the evening (great tunes, too, BTW), but upon arrival, decided to give our ears a test. It was refreshing for me, a lifetime affliction sheet-music-learner, to learn tunes completely by ear, without the aid of standard notation. I'm pleased to say I came out of last night with these tunes learnt, without having seen a single dot!

If you ever have the chance to take a workshop with Kevin, I highly recommend it. He is at once humble and charming, while still brilliant and witty, without a hint of arrogance or pretense. An excellent and patient teacher, and highly encouraging, even to us fledgling fluters. He was gracious enough to take a break from his very busy touring schedule, with what could have been a night off for him, to trek way out of the city (Boston), and hang out with a bunch of noobs. Thanks, Kevin!
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
segv
antispam: No

Re: Kevin Crawford: A class act!

Post by segv »

fyffer wrote:A handful of Chiffers were there, some of whom because of responding to my mysterious posting (I'll let them reveal themselves if they want),
You bet. Thanks for letting me in on it.
He had originally given the attendees 4 tunes to have prepared for the evening (great tunes, too, BTW), but upon arrival, decided to give our ears a test.
It was just a sneaky way to make all of us walk away with more new tunes than we thought we could handle.
Thanks, Kevin!
And huge thanks to the mysterious host who not only opened her home to a bunch of strangers, but had the audacity to chat up Kevin after a gig and convince him to do this.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Wow! I am envious! Congrats to all of you who attended! I bet it was nothing short of a fantastic experience. Thanks for posting this thread. It's got me thinkin' . . . hmm . . .
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
azw

Post by azw »

Yep, this was a really good idea. Someone deserves an award for creativity.

How did you all know in advance that you'd have enough people interested in attending?

Do you have any tips on how to set up something similar elsewhere?
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Trout Bum,

Mr. Crawford will be teaching a flute class at the St Louis Tionol this weekend if you happen to be in your "9 months in Iowa" phase ... :-D

www.tionol.org

P.S. So does the Trout Bum moniker describe the fact that you wander about in search of good trout fishing, or do you have finned backside? ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Thanks Ms. Wilde!!! I didn't know that this was going on. I'm seriously going to think about a trip!

On the issue of Trout Bum - yes, I would willingly give up my current life if I could find a place to wonder aimlessly for 12 months a year fly-fishing for the 'mykiss'. Also, I might . . . just might . . . have finned backside! :boggle:
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
elizabeth

Kevin Crawford, class act

Post by elizabeth »

I second everything fyffer said! I was lucky enough to be there last Monday night. It was fascinating to be able to hear him and to watch him up close. He is wonderfully fluent at making little variations on the melody line and changing up the ornaments when they come around again. He let me try his Grinter flute, a gorgeous thing, but I didn't get much of a sound out of it because I am used to more modern-style embouchure holes. Kevin was so patient and generous with us. Don't ever pass up a chance to meet him if you get one. Thanks to our hostess for having us over!

Best,
Elizabeth
If it was necessary to tolerate in other people everything that one permits in oneself, life would be intolerable. --Georges Courteline
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Indeed, Kevin is a great fellow. I'm envious too!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.