How do you dress?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I say come as you are when it comes to sessions and community gatherings where you aren't a paid performer. If a fellow musician showed up at a session wearing a green blazer or the like, I'd have trouble taking him seriously.
If you are performing I think that a paying audience deserves a certain level of professionalism (music being the first priority IMO and dress a close second).
On the other hand:
Based on what I've experienced locally, if I walk into a pub and see a group of "musicians" dressed "Irish" or in matching outfits I typically expect to hear green beer songs. I usually won't make it through the opening set. The times I've walked in to see a group of average looking Joes wearing blue jeans and t-shirts, I've usually ended up enjoying some brilliant music.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

pancelticpiper wrote:Now, I USED to dress like this: Image
feather bonnet $400 (yes it's hollow inside)
doublet $800
kilt $500
full plaid $300
tartan hosetops, custom knit to match kilt $200
waistbelt and crossbelt set $300
dirk $1000
sgian dubh $200
plaid brooch $100
OK, no mention of what's under the kilt. Is is true that nothing is worn beneath?
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

I have yet to play Irish music publicly (and it will probably be a while) but as the guitarist for a hardcore punk band I wear what I wear in normal life, combat boots, jeans, a t-shirt, a scally cap, and an old army motorcycle jacket or flight jacket. Occasionally I will dress up by swapping the scally cap to a fedora or even a bowler, the t-shirt to a button up, my belt for suspenders, and occasionally even my jeans to work type pants and boots to doc martens. I suspect I would wear the same thing performing Irish music.
PNB

Post by PNB »

Tucson Whistler wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:Now, I USED to dress like this: Image
feather bonnet $400 (yes it's hollow inside)
doublet $800
kilt $500
full plaid $300
tartan hosetops, custom knit to match kilt $200
waistbelt and crossbelt set $300
dirk $1000
sgian dubh $200
plaid brooch $100
OK, no mention of what's under the kilt. Is is true that nothing is worn
beneath?
That is one of those questions that could start a thread extension that could go on for days. When I first started to learn the pipes, I was the base drummer in the band. Never having worn a kilt in public, I was shocked at the questions that I was asked, and by whom. You learn very quickly some "cute" answers to appease the question, but never quite answer. That is part of the mystique of a kilt. I was standing on a street in a little resort town near here that we as a band had been playing in. My soon to be wife was close by watching the goings on, when 2 elderly ladies walked up and flanked me on both sides, wanting a pictures taken with a piper I had just got through playing for a small crowd that had gathered, so there was quite a few people listening. The older of the two ladies asked very loudly, "What is worn under the kilt?" I made some comment like, "A gentleman never tells" or something along that line. Just as a picture was about to be taken and we were told to "smile," the one on the right reaches up under my kilt and grabs a handful of my buttocks, and loudly proclaims, "I told you Beth that he doesn't wear anything under this thing." I could have died. My soon to be wife about blew a soft drink out of her nose that she was just taking a drink out of. The crowd went into hysterics. I turned 40 shades of red, and then she asks me, very loudly, "You want to meet for drinks later this evening?" She was someone that truly enjoyed life and was not afraid to have a good time.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Tucson Whistler wrote: OK, no mention of what's under the kilt. Is is true that nothing is worn beneath?
It depends if you prefer following a stupid myth and risking cold fronts in the south or keeping the kids warms and protecting your modesty.

Feel free not to read the next bit, I'm going to go off on one...

<rant>
Few things irk me more than "are you a true scotsman?". Well yes, I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents in the same part of the country that they themselves were born and brought up in and I can trace my family as far back as you can go to the same part of Scotland. I'm as true a Scotsman as anyone living in this country and whether or not I wear my boxer shorts under my kilt doesn't change that fact
</rant>

However many people choose to freeze their bollocks off in the name of "being a true scotsman" and it is them than find themselves running away from drunken ladies who want to lift up their kilt and take pictures (Imagine if a guy did this? How quickly would they be arrested?).
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm another one who treats sessions as "come as you are" affairs. Jeans, a T-shirt or sweater, maybe a sun dress in summer. I don't see a session as a "performance," even if people in the pub do enjoy listening to the music...it's more of a social gathering in my mind. I probably wouldn't go to one in workout clothes, or covered in mud from the garden, but then I wouldn't go to a bar dressed that way even if I weren't playing.

For performance, including busking, it's a different matter, and for me, it depends on the venue. With the harp, most of the playing out I've done has been in places where some sort of "period" costume is required, so it's Ren Faire garb for me. Even when I'm playing in a place that doesn't have such requirements, I tend to wear something that's a little bit Renny" (long, full skirt, decorated bodice, long hair down) just because it fits an image that audiences seem to find pleasing. I've never busked with the harp, but even then, I think I'd go for the slightly Renny look...it's just part of the package. For playing in church, I prefer formal concert black, even though I'm playing traditional music. For busking with the whistle (which I haven't done in years, alas!), I always went the "neatly dressed college student route."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Played at a wake last evening: basic black.

Pub gig tonite: whatever isn't too stained or smelly.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

chrisoff wrote:... many people choose to freeze their bollocks off in the name of "being a true scotsman" and it is them than find themselves running away from drunken ladies who want to lift up their kilt...
I too can't imagine wearing a kilt without some "coverage". You never know what sort of idiot or drunk (or drunk idiot) or inquisitive child or strong wind may come your way.

I know some pipers to go to the point of wearing beach shorts (sort of like a bathing suit, sort of like Bermuda shorts). The added benefit is that they can take off their kilt as soon as they're done with the gig.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

OK...Now I've got "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?" running through my head!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
ned o the hill

Post by ned o the hill »

Tucson Whistler wrote: OK, no mention of what's under the kilt. Is is true that nothing is worn beneath?
I wear brogues and hose. :lol:
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

The real scotsman c. 1550 wore bike shorts and so do we todayhttp://hdl.handle.net/1854/225

Daithi Sproule tells the tale of Altan doing an awards show of some kind and dressing in their rolled up shirt sleeves and jeans when in walked another band in tuxes. "Thanks for making us look like @#$%!" he said.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

For gigs, I think it is nice to dress up to honor the occasion and tradition.

The screaming red shirts to show that there is a party going on, green vests and slacks for the trad celtic feel :D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Man I think those guys need to get bigger vests!!!
At least they're wearing shirts...
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Since we seem to be heading down this road:

http://www.zonicweb.net/mobac.htm

Note: There may be content that is offensive to some...but it's really funny.

:)
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

pancelticpiper wrote:I know some pipers to go to the point of wearing beach shorts (sort of like a bathing suit, sort of like Bermuda shorts). The added benefit is that they can take off their kilt as soon as they're done with the gig.
Brilliant! Next parade, I'm wearing my obnoxious flowery bermudas under my kilt, and when anyone asks, I will not hesitate to let 'em have it. :lol:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.