Bob Marley

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Bob Marley

Post by chas »

One of our local PBS stations, Howard University television, is showing a Bob Marley concert from around 1977-78. I'd forgotten what a great performer he was. I never saw him, but have both live albums and have seen some footage; this is a really good show. The thing I love about his performances is that they're very different from his studio performances. He doesn't just mess with the vocals like most performers, the arrangements are different and there really seems to be a connection with the audience. He feels what he's singing, while in the studio I suspect the emphasis is on getting everything perfect. (Those of us who are middlin' musicians and post clips can appreciate that. ;) )

He died at 36. What a loss.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Chas,

I just saw that same show on PBS about a month ago and was, once again and then some, blown away at how great a musician, singer, magician Marley was. It seemed every single sound/note he uttered was perfectly placed, sung at the perfect time, in perfect tune/inflection, all in the groove, could hit it hard and loud, and swing it soft and low--absolutely amazing. He truly was a genius. I heartily echo your approbation and admiration.

I think during the pledge break, it was quoted from the NY times or some heavy-hitter critic that this movie of this show is one of the greatest musical performances of the century. I'd say there is a strong case for that.

Jason
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I have become really interested in the Rastafarian movement and Haile Selassie I through Sinead O'Connor, and Bob Marley is intimately connected to all that. In her last few years of recordings, Sinead has been really influenced by reggae music in general and Bob Marley in particular. It's interesting to see a white woman singing some of his songs, but was indeed a great performer. And a pot head.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:.... And a pot head.
Ain't nothin wrong with that, right? :P

Bob Marley was a fantastic musician and songwriter. Grew up listening to his stuff; was how I got into the third-wave ska movement as a young man.
Was also how my cousin got into ska, now he's got himself a tidy gig as a professional musician.

Thanks Bob!

'course, I'm a big fan of Family Man Barrett
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've never smoked pot but I used to eat it all the time and it made me fat.

You know I'm convinced it wasn't the brownies, cookies, cakes, pastries, and even things like quesidillas and scrambled eggs I put it in that made me fat, it was the pot itself. It makes you hungry, you know.
Boody

Post by Boody »

I really like Marley's music, but it does kind of annoy me how famous he is. At my highschool there were several kids who wore Bob Marley t-shirts, but they all just thought he was cool because he smocked pot. None of them knew anything about reggae. I would be cranking some Toots and the Maytals and they'd ask what it was! I would tell them Toots invented the word reggae and they all thought Bob Mayely invented reggae.

So very good music, but as far as roots go I like Johnny Clarke and Barrington Levy more.
But I like Trojan reggae more than roots anyway.
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:I've never smoked pot but I used to eat it all the time and it made me fat.

You know I'm convinced it wasn't the brownies, cookies, cakes, pastries, and even things like quesidillas and scrambled eggs I put it in that made me fat, it was the pot itself. It makes you hungry, you know.
Cran, you owe me a new keyboard! :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Boody wrote:....At my highschool there were several kids who wore Bob Marley t-shirts, but they all just thought he was cool because he smocked pot. None of them knew anything about reggae. I would be cranking some Toots and the Maytals and they'd ask what it was! I would tell them Toots invented the word reggae and they all thought Bob Mayely invented reggae.

So very good music, but as far as roots go I like Johnny Clarke and Barrington Levy more.
But I like Trojan reggae more than roots anyway.
heresy.....just sad...

just in case anyone's unfamiliar... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Records
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I saw Bob Marley live back about 77 or 78 in a big theatre in Highbury. Great show. A lot of weed about and a lot of knives too.

Bob Marley really invented reggae as a suitable vehicle for rock superstardom. In doing that, inevitably he smoothed out a few rough edges that purists prefer. You can't really hear it comparing Marley's early work with his mature work. His early work was rougher but not all that great either, IMO. By 77, he'd left the 'singles for Jamaica and the UK only' market a long way behind.

A better case study is his old singing partner Peter Tosh. Tosh made a bid for superstardom with a couple of albums in the 70s the first of which was Legalise It I like those albums, but they recycled for the world slick versions of singles for Jamica only that he recorded at the same time. Those singles were very much tougher. I love them.
chas

Post by chas »

And by 77 or 78 Tosh had pretty much abandoned reggae for some sort of reggae-meets-rock-and-R&B. I love the album with Buck-in-ham Palace on it (I can't call up the album name), but reggae it's not.

I love the earlier Wailers stuff when Bunny and Tosh were still with Bob, and I wonder what would have happened if the three of them had stayed together. Probably somewhere between the music being that much better, that much worse, or them killing each other.

There are many people responsible for reggae becoming (somewhat and gradually) mainstream. Desmond Dekker, Jimmy Cliff (one of the best singers alive), all of the Wailers, Toots, Johnny Nash, Eric Clapton, and many that I can't call up right now. But nobody has touched as many hearts with reggae music as Bob Marley.

Good for you for seeing him, Wombat. Quite an experience, I bet.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
Oh.

Wrong Marley, sorry.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

My favorite artist of all time....

sadly, since I'm only 31, I never was able to see this man perform.

His teachings of love and music could have really had a serious effect on our world, IMO.

Not to compare anyone to him, but, I really enjoy Ben Harper also...this man has a great soul, also. I would love to meet him one day...maybe share a bowl for memories sake.. :D

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
rh

Post by rh »

chas wrote:"One good thing about music
When it hits you feel okay" -- Bob Marley
hey chas,

i'm pretty sure the line from Trenchtown Rock is "when it hits you feel no pain".

evryting be irie,
rh :)
there is no end to the walking
djm

Post by djm »

I'm surprised no-one has linked the <A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEQXvsQJVnY">buffalo thread</A> into this one yet.

Woy yoy yo

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas

Post by chas »

rh wrote:
chas wrote:"One good thing about music
When it hits you feel okay" -- Bob Marley
hey chas,

i'm pretty sure the line from Trenchtown Rock is "when it hits you feel no pain".

evryting be irie,
rh :)
You're absolutely right. I meant to change it before anyone noticed. :oops:

Actually, I think I'll change it to something I heard Tom Waits say once.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods