Jigity-jig for jigs - what about hornpipes, reels and polkas

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:Am I missing something? Surely you can't say 'jigity-jig' for jig rhythm? :-? jigity-jig sounds like the start of the sailor's hornpipe.
It should be 'jigity-jigity', shouldn't it?
Well actually, let's ride that little pet peeve for a minute: above I linked t oa recent thread in which example and discussion of the matter didn't get much reply when put forward. How about a straight forward comparison between the mechanical, formulaic rigid jiggetyjiggety or the one that recognises the structure and rhythm of a jig for what it is?

[edit] I have deleted the soundfiles. There was an incongruity of 2:1 in the number of download in favour of the example of the mechanical rhythm example, which defeats the whole point of the exercise

Last edited by Cayden on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Nice demonstration and clearly the phrased version is preferable, but how does that help the "non musical wife of a friend of" Keith in identifying the tune's rhythm?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Guinness wrote:Nice demonstration and clearly the phrased version is preferable, but how does that help the "non musical wife of a friend of" Keith in identifying the tune's rhythm?
It won't. I am continuing the previous discussion and am looking at the wider issue of playing jigs. Jiggety jiggety is not a helpful approach for playing jigs.

As I said, just entertaining a pet peeve.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Guinness wrote:Just for fun, listen to this clip of a popular tune played by a very well known band:

http://www.cdworld.ie/mp3/188517_000100010011.mp3

What rhythm is that?
A crap one.

It sounds like what it is - a nice 9/8 slip jig crammed into the first variant of a 6/8 jig rhythm (1-3456).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Peter Laban wrote:
Guinness wrote:Nice demonstration and clearly the phrased version is preferable, but how does that help the "non musical wife of a friend of" Keith in identifying the tune's rhythm?
It won't. I am continuing the previous discussion and am looking at the wider issue of playing jigs. Jiggety jiggety is not a helpful approach for playing jigs.

As I said, just entertaining a pet peeve.
I agree - my knowledge of jigs isn´t somehow vast, but I can clearly see there are very different sounding jigs, even with different articulation, so one "jigity jigity" can´t absorb all of them.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

BigDavy wrote:
Guinness wrote:Just for fun, listen to this clip of a popular tune played by a very well known band:

http://www.cdworld.ie/mp3/188517_000100010011.mp3

What rhythm is that?
A crap one.

It sounds like what it is - a nice 9/8 slip jig crammed into the first variant of a 6/8 jig rhythm (1-3456).

David
Sorry, (1-3456) is incorrect. You're only allowed to call it "crap" after you get the rhythm right. :P
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

To go back to the original question, when I first started putting names to the different types of Irish dance tunes, I used to identify hornpipes as the ones that went "Humpty-Dumpty Humpty-Dumpty..." (I liked those best) and jigs as the ones that went "Tweedle-de Deedle-de...". And reels were the ones I didn't like, 'cos they sounded like too many notes played too fast. Not sure how helpful that last bit will be to your friend's wife...

Noel
(who's finally started to see how reels might be fun...)
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Here's a final edit to my old post summing up all the onomatopoeic suggestions on this topic:

There seems to be two threads going here – the original one about the onomatopoeic sounds we might be able to use as a rule of thumb to help non musical ears differentiate between ITM tunes, and a second theme that’s attached itself to the main one: a technical discussion implying a correct way to play jigs.

The second thread will go on for ever. But the first thread has produced the following:

Jigs : jiggety-jiggety, jiggety-jiggety, jiggety-jiggety, or
jiggety-jig x 3 or
tweedledee x 3 or
watermelon x 3 or
A jiggity jiggity; It's a jiggity jig

Double jig : huffington, huffington,
huffington, huffington

Polka/Hornpipe : ahnold x 4 or
corn popcorn , popcorn, popcorn, popcorn
humpty dumpty x 4

Polkas : oh not again x 2

Reels : yeah lobster bisque x 4
bustamente x 4
watermelon x 4

I hope I’ve not misreported anything.

K.
Last edited by keithsandra on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Personally, in only this one instance, I agree with Bloomfield and wish to thank him for making me think of watermelon whilst playing Dunmore Lasses, Magical Priest, or the Flagstone of Memories - something I never would have gotten to on my own..ah, Bloomie... :wink:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Laban wrote:How about a straight forward comparison between the mechanical, formulaic rigid jiggetyjiggety or the jiggetyjig that recoginises the structure and rhythm of a jig for what it is?
How about something like: "A jiggity-jig, It's a jiggity-jig" - which captures the phrase-leading structure I think you're hinting at.

FWIW, I think the onomatopoeic phrase thing is fun but kinda silly anyway. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

MTGuru wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:How about a straight forward comparison between the mechanical, formulaic rigid jiggetyjiggety or the jiggetyjig that recoginises the structure and rhythm of a jig for what it is?
How about something like: "A jiggity-jig, It's a jiggity-jig" - which captures the phrase-leading structure I think you're hinting at.

FWIW, I think the onomatopoeic phrase thing is fun but kinda silly anyway. :wink:
How about "The praties are dug and the frost is all over; Kitty lie over close to the wall."
/Bloomfield
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog,
Home again, home again, jiggity-jog.

:)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

MTGuru wrote:To market, to market, to buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog,
Home again, home again, jiggity-jog.

:)
Golly, your phrasing is really quite lovely.