Maundy Thursday

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

When we've had these services, I experience them on 3 levels simultaneously.

One is, I try to imagine what the historical situation might have been like. Weird to think about a culture where there were servants who would wash off your feet when you came into the house! I imagine the beat-up sandals, the smell of sweat and dust, how dirty the roads probably were. Here's Jesus telling his disciples that now he's going to wash their feet. Must have been a real Oh, my goodness! What in the world? moment for them :lol:

On another level I'm paying attention to, has it come around to my turn in the circle yet? OK, time to hold out my feet...I bet the person washing my feet feels self-conscious... I feel self-conscious doing this....smile, trade places, now I'm the one doing the washing....geez this is awkward...

And on the third level I'm thinking about how this awkwardness comes up over and over again, whenever people try to do helpful things for each other. A friend had a medical test done that might mean cancer-- should I call to see if she's gotten news? Or is it better to wait for her to call me? She might want some time to process the information. "I don't want to intrude..."

And, turning the tables, it often feels awkward to receive help too.

It's humbling, being on the giving or the receiving end.
pastorkeith wrote:Never had someone kick over a basin - that would be interesting
:lol:

And that would symbolize...uh, let me see...the inadvertent comedy that comes from the interactions between...um... :boggle: :lol:
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pastorkeith »

sbfluter wrote:I worry about the diseases at those pedicure shops and now this, too.

Do you put something in the water to prevent the spread of athlete's foot and toenail fungus and plantar warts?
We'll put a bit of anti-bacterial soap in for what that's worth and ask people who have concers about their feet to consider the basin that we will set aside for handwashing. Yes, someone else will wash your hands, so barriers are still broken and awkward lines crossed.

Now, we do not know where people's hands have been...but since folks share the peace with like a dozen others, hand germs get spread around pretty regularly.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My granddaddy's Old Baptist church use to do foot washings on occasion but I've never been to one. I'd be too ticklish to even think about that.

Our priest's other church has a seder on Maundy Thursday. A friend and I meant to go but it is an hour's drive one way and I just can't make myself get back in the car after being in it all day.

Tomorrow night, our church will host a combined Good Friday service for us, Episcopal, the local Roman Catholic church and this year, for the first time, the Methodists will join us. This is such a different service. Since there is to be no music for the processional and recessional, I've always played my tenor drum for these, a rather dramatic effect I'm told, and our altar is stripped except for the altar cross which is covered in black. It is a very startling change. Playing the Stabat Mater works for the Veneration of the Cross-for myself, cause I love it and the Catholics, 'cause they love it and don't get to do it much anymore-but the Methodist will just have to wing it on this one I guess. The priest insists on "Were you there" for the sermon hymn, otherwise I'd have done "He never said a mumblin' word" . "Oh Sacred Head" has been overdone to the point I don't like it anymore and always try to find a substitute. This service is always very awkward for me because there is such little music. I need to be practicing.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
missy

Post by missy »

For Good Friday, our church is doing a musical Passion. Tom was supposed to sing at it (our church is really despirate for low voices!) but he's been sick with the cold/flu crud all week and can't talk without coughing, so no singing.

Another "tradition" here in Cincinnati on Good Friday is to pray the steps. There is a long flight of stair that lead up the side of one of our "hills" that goes along the route that an old incline went. The steps end at the Church of the Immaculata. People pray silently at ever step (Catholics say the rosary) - I think it's close to 300 if you do the entire length. People start at midnight tonight and continue until after sun down tomorrow.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

This thread touches on two of America's three favorite pastimes, religion and the fear of germs. All we need now is pro wrestling.
/Bloomfield
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Bloomfield wrote:This thread touches on two of America's three favorite pastimes, religion and the fear of germs. All we need now is pro wrestling.
Here we are trying to have a serious discussion of footwashing, and Bloomfield steps in with his arch sense of humor. :wink:

Edited to be less subtle, I hate to see good puns go to waste :lol:
Last edited by Caroluna on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Bloomfield wrote:This thread touches on two of America's three favorite pastimes, religion and the fear of germs. All we need now is pro wrestling.
Smackdown!!!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well a few opted for the handwashing, but most went for the feet.
It was nice to offer a choice so that everyone who wanted to could participate. Tomorrow it is stations of the cross at the prayer labyrinth, three hours of quiet/music time (packing the whistle :) ) inside, then tenebrae in the evening

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

This was my first MT at an Episcopal church. They did the foot washing thing
(thanks to this thread, I wasn't totally surprised by it), and they stripped the
alter at the end. Then one of the priests came back with an empty chalice,
and laid it on its side on top of the alter. It was pretty neat, I thought.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Caroluna wrote:
Here we are trying to have a serious discussion of footwashing, and Bloomfield steps in with his arch sense of humor. :wink:

Edited to be less subtle, I hate to see good puns go to waste :lol:
Oh, for goodness' sake! I saw it! I just had to finish a school thing first.

Well, I suppose it's good to keep us on our toes. You'll have us hoofing right smartly to answer you.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'm sure many of us saw it... :lol:

Should we comment on each perceived pun?
that could be barry bad for some others
djm

Post by djm »

It would behoove some of you to stop now, before the moderator brings you all to heel.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:It would behoove some of you to stop now, before the moderator brings you all to heel.

djm
Wow.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah. This thread's taken a skewed ankle, so toe the line and keep instep.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

I feel the roof pressing in upon me ... or is that just the fallen arches? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.