Chanter by Patrick Henelly for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chanter by Patrick Henelly for sale

Post by uilleannfinlander »

ferris54

chanter

Post by ferris54 »

I `ve just won this on the auction. Has anyone else experience with this particular maker??
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It looks like a nice chanter and if it plays well ,you got a real bargin at only £352 .I thought it would have gone for more.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Patrick Hennelly was one of the last American pipe makers in the 50s/60s. Pat Sky has a picture of his "sky scraper" set.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Thanks

do you have a link to this picture as i can`t find it
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

It in his uilleann pipe tutor. Maybe you can send a message to Pat. He checks in here every so often
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Chanter arrived and looked ok. Has a reed in it which plays the first octave in tune but from top d up its flat all the way. How do i sharpen the upper octave in comparison to the lower or do i need a new reed?
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Flattening the lower octave is much easier than sharpening the upper one - just insert a rush into the chanter, all the way up. Many old chanters were designed to work best with a rush. The flat upper octave can mean that the reed staple is too narrow although there are more possible reasons for that, you should have a reed maker have a look at it. Another possibility might be that many of the old american reed makers inverted the staple (narrow end in the chanter) but I have no experiences at all what happens if you use a staple the "normal" way in a chanter that is possibly designed for an inverted staple.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Thanks for the advice. I`ve managed to get it in very good tune now, mainly nby closing the bridle and removing the wax that was filling half of the g hole. The only note that is a bit off now is the c nat, but this can be brought in with pressure or using the c key. I also put a new pad of leather on the stop key as this was leaking a bit, and have given the chanter a once over with the brasso. I`m very pleased with it and it goes nicely with my seth gallagher set.
Here are some pics

[/img]
No E

Post by No E »

Oh noooo-- don't use Brasso! it's got ammonia in it and isn't good for the pipes at all. You're better off with Cape Cod polishing cloths. If you must use a polish, Flitz is much better than Brasso.

Congrats on the new chanter,

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
vanfleet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

c nat

Post by vanfleet »

The only note that is a bit off now is the c nat, but this can be brought in with pressure or using the c key.
Check the many threads and discussions on this board concerning the c natural. You might try an alternate fingering to see if this chanter works better with, say, lifting the right hand index finger and half-holing with the left hand index finger . . . you should be able to produce a spot on c natural without using the key.

JVF
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

No E wrote:Oh noooo-- don't use Brasso! it's got ammonia in it and isn't good for the pipes at all. You're better off with Cape Cod polishing cloths. If you must use a polish, Flitz is much better than Brasso.

Congrats on the new chanter,

No E
Sorry to get a bit off topic, but I'm interested - why not Brasso? How does ammonia affect pipes? I ask because I've been using Brasso on my drones for the past 16 years with (so far) no ill effects. Of course, by that I mean I've polished them about 7 or 8 times in that period.

Cheers,

DavidG