RIP Arthur C. Clarke

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Heinlein, Asimov and now Clarke.

The universe seems a little smaller, somehow.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Of course, Sir Arthur was a Westcountry lad, demonstrating once again that the best is in the west, whether that be Somerset or Lancashire. :wink: That much larger than life character (in every imaginable way) and close friend of Clarke, Sir Patrick Moore, paid him tribute.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

s1m0n wrote:
fel bautista wrote:He was a visionary. He dreamed up geo stationary satellites among other things
When the space elevator finally gets built, I--and probably a great many others--will promptly knock it down again if it doesn't have his name all over it.
I'll be right there with ya.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Like Missy, Clarke was my first real science fiction author...it wasn't until I'd read Clarke that I discovered Asimov, Dick, Heinlein....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

In Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars" series, the asteroid imported to areosynchronous orbit to anchor the space end of the elevator gets named "Clarke" iirc.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

When I first ran across Clarke and read Childhoods End in the late 50s, the old term "fired the imagination" understates my reaction at the time. I have been a lifelong fan since.

-
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Clarke's three laws:
"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

He lived to see 2001 come and go without a space odyssey, though what had transpired was...umm... interesting.
Reasonable person
Walden