Latest ettempts at casting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Latest ettempts at casting

Post by Jon C. »

Once more I find myself out in the desert with a couple of hundred pounds of casting equipment and a lot of free time...
Here is my latest attempt to cast something, I have vulcanized the rubber mold, injected the wax, now I just have to cast it! Always wanted to make a R&R crown, now that I got the rubber mold, I will attempt to cast it in silver. Once I have the emblem, I will silver solder it to the rest of the crown. More to come... I am posting form the McDonald's parking lot, (no veggie burgers!)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

What's you plan? Passing as royalty? Becoming a pretender? Passing thse off on e-bay? or Hoping the cashier at McD's is dim enough to accept these as legal tender?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

What's you plan? Passing as royalty? Becoming a pretender? Passing thse off on e-bay? or Hoping the cashier at McD's is dim enough to accept these as legal tender?
mute, what's your plan? Just attacking for no reason?

John has skills. What do you have?
eilam

Post by eilam »

naturally ~ mute thinks we'd all act just as he would......
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Blackwood wrote:
mute, what's your plan? Just attacking for no reason?

John has skills. What do you have?
What do I have? I have someone who thinks I'm attacking someone because they want to believe that I'm attacking someone. I thought the casting were pretty and wondered what he was going to do with them.

Geesh Blackwood. Would it save you bother if I sent you a private message every time I posted so that you wouldn't have to seach to nit-pick?
白飞梦
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Dear John:

Please forgive me for hi-jacking your thread.

Hey, Blackwood. Instead of being lead by your issues, think logically. All of the suggestions that I made were totally ridiculous. What could John hope to gain by announcing he was making these himself only to use them for ill gotten gain? Although I have to say, using them in McDonald's would be the opposite of ill-gotten game. He'd be wasting his hard earned work on a non-veggie burger.

Now if we could please return to the topic of this thread. Hey John, what do you plan on doing with these?
白飞梦
daiv

Post by daiv »

here's another one of jon's castings from a while back:

Image[/img]
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Just in case anyone forgot...

Looks good Jon!

I think you pulled a better cast.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Good luck with it, Jon! Certainly taking an impression and using it as a mold is the obvious way to try to replicate a R&R Patent Head endcap. However, I'm just wondering if you saw this rather relevant discussion from 3+ years ago (one of my first forays onto the Web when I only had access at the public library!) about how said crown caps may have been produced originally? The debate started on the Woodenflute forum but was condensed and reposted by David Migoya on the R&R Yahoo Group with the contributors' consent. The whole discussion is worth a read, but the bits most relevant to Jon's current project are towards the end - David's Parts VII-XIV.

BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else think the embossed silver caps look kind-of odd, out of place on a non-PH? I think a normal turned wood crown cap suits a normal head better, though I do like fancy finials on the screw adjuster end, like the little turned silver acorns on some antiques. (I think Chris Wilkes is featuring those these days.) I've also always felt that M&E's crude impression is both cheeky and naff!

P.S. I thought from first reading that Mutepoint was being humourous......so was taken aback by the reaction to his post!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

All of the suggestions that I made were totally ridiculous
ridiculous is what I have become to expect from you. Humour I have yet to see.

Nice job on the castings John.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

It never ceases to amuse me how aggressive people get when they are able to remain either anonymous or at least safely separated by internet distance.

We ought to have mandatory once a year get togethers where we'd meet one another face to face and either make friends or duke it the feck out. That would solve a lot of the negative crap that's been going on here for the last few years.

Even fighters have more respect for one another than we often do, but then that's because respect is earned, not given.

Loren
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Jon, meanwhile, retreats to his casting couch...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Isn't it obvious he would attach these to the top end of the flute?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

hey Jon, will you retrofit my flute with one of these? they're pretty cool! Don
huffin' and puffin'
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Crooked Tune,
Jon, meanwhile, retreats to his casting couch...!
Jon is just a CastAway! :D
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan