Off-road flute advice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cork wrote:
sbfluter wrote:Derlin is too heavy for backpacking. Weighs more than my tent. The Tipple is probably the best...
I think you're right, in that the Tipple is fairly light. Earlier I was speaking in favor of Delrin, but then I got to thinking about a situation where EVERY bit of weight matters, and then I realized that the Tipple really would be a better choice.

Anyway, I wish you a great trip!
we've got bears at this end..... :twisted:
Cork

Post by Cork »

Denny wrote:
Cork wrote:
sbfluter wrote:Derlin is too heavy for backpacking. Weighs more than my tent. The Tipple is probably the best...
I think you're right, in that the Tipple is fairly light. Earlier I was speaking in favor of Delrin, but then I got to thinking about a situation where EVERY bit of weight matters, and then I realized that the Tipple really would be a better choice.

Anyway, I wish you a great trip!
we've got bears at this end..... :twisted:
Shhh!

I'm waiting to see the Bigfoot photos!
Denny

Post by Denny »

well....I've seen bears & and I got big feet :P
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Denny wrote:well....I've seen bears & and I got big feet :P
In that case I would definitely opt for a heavier flute-never know what you might chance upon....

Arbo
Cork

Post by Cork »

Big bears at the northern end of the trail?

Big cats at the southern end of the trail?

And, what of the legendary big-foot?

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

This doesn't look like Kansas, Toto.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cork wrote:Big bears at the northern end of the trail?

naw, seen me a big cat also....
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Denny wrote:
Cork wrote:Big bears at the northern end of the trail?

naw, seen me a big cat also....
Does S&W make any flutes? Sounds like diane might look at their line before she goes traipsing off into Not-Kansas.

Bigfeet, eh? Seems I remember dating a girl like that in the seventies. Hairy, too. :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

The large critters haven't been a problem on the trail.
Unless you come around the same corner from opposite directions.

Do hang all food, well away from camp, in something rodent proof though.
Ronbo wrote:Bigfeet, eh? Seems I remember dating a girl like that in the seventies. Hairy, too. :D
but real friendly?
Cork

Post by Cork »

In summer, even big bears aren't so much of a concern, as they really have better things to go after, nuts, berries and all.

Big-foot looks rather friendly, too, if not downright scary, but maybe looks aren't everything, eh?

It's those come-from-behind cats which cause concern, frankly.

And, you've seen cats up north?

Whoa!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cork wrote:And, you've seen cats up north?
yep....they're shy though!

I came over a wee shoulder, there was a stream in the next section. Big cougar having a drink. I told her how pretty she was, undid the pack belt and waited for her to move off. She looked at me for a bit and wandered off down stream, through the campsite where we spent the night.

oh, yeah....and waited for the rest of the party to catch up :lol:
Cork

Post by Cork »

Ronbo wrote:...Does S&W make any flutes? Sounds like diane might look at their line before she goes traipsing off into Not-Kansas...
"Smith, Wesson, and me," and thanks, Dirty Harry!

Just to be sure, however, try this: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily? ... &famlst=42 and here the nod goes to the No. 1 "Tropical" model in "blue" steel and as chambered in .375 H&H Mag, which is proven as being able to take down ANY predator on the North American continent, with the exception of corrupt politicians. BTW, these, as chambered, are also endorsed by many African hunting guides. And, black and blue shoulder comes as a standard feature, too. ;-)

Now, that's a flute!

Not that you could ever need such a thing, eh?
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

:) :)

I don't really need a flute or whistle, either. But it looks to be a nice gun. Truth be told, I haven't fired at anything more dangerous than a paper target in decades. When I hunt, it is with a large camera (white lens, though).

Most critters will give you leeway when they can unless they are hungry, injured, or ill. It's those accidental encounters that get most people hurt. From the description that Diane gives of the route, she could be quite a ways from help if anything bad happened. That would be my biggest concern.
Denny

Post by Denny »

there is a lot of traffic on the PCT
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

ImNotIrish wrote:
Denny wrote:well....I've seen bears & and I got big feet :P
In that case I would definitely opt for a heavier flute-never know what you might chance upon....

Arbo
But if you drop it in the stream, at least Delrin will sink!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cork

Post by Cork »

OK, seriously, perhaps the odds of anybody encountering any real trouble out there, on the trail, could be somewhere between slim and none.

Over here, on the East Coast, for instance, we have black bears, which pose no real threat to anybody, and about the worst hazard could be deer, and sometimes moose, in or crossing a road. Watch out!

However, considering that one could get hit by the proverbial truck while crossing a road, perhaps going out into the wilderness could not be risk free, eh?

For instance, are you aware that flute playing can attract snakes? That's a fact.