Windows Vista experience

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:Don't get me wrong, Tyler. I'm no MS fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. I was just making the observation that the Vista rollout really is not much different in terms of creativity, completeness, bugs, and system requirements being at the high end of the spectrum than any previous version.

Whenever MS puts out a new Windows version, it's the same complaints, every time. By now, it shouldn't be a surprise.
I hear where you're coming from, there, but I have to be honest when i say I really don't remember having to tool around as much with XP when it came out as vista just to get it to operate on a level I'd consider optimal. I bought my first xp box when I was living in BC (coincidentally where XP was partially developed :D ). It was such an improvement over 9.x that I was certainly willing to overlook a few little bugs, but I don't think I'm looking at it with rose colored glasses either, if you know what I mean. When I bought my xp machine, it worked just fine right out of the box (IIRC, it was an HP, 1.3ghz pentium4, had a 30gig HD and I opted for an upgrade to 500mb of ram. Cripes, but I think XP only occupied 2gig of the HD IIRC...). Vista was just plain buggy right out of the box, and took a bit of tooling around just to get it to run smoothly on a brand new computer. (up to this point we've just been talking about new computers; we haven't even gotten into the horror that is the Vista upgrade. With my old pent3 Dell, I was able to upgrade to XP no problem, still runs great...I tried upgrading a friends computer that's only 2 years old to Vista...ummnotsomuch.... :D )
What really gripes me is that M$ claims that Vista will run just fine on a unit having only an 800mhz processor and 500mb of ram. that's tootin' baloney right there. At one point in time I shared a story about computer shopping with my little sis who's a decade my junior and just getting into college this year. She took me along because she knows next to nothing about the newer stuff on the market.
The sales guy we went to tried to pawn off a "minimun requirement" level computer on us, saying it would run vista no problem. He tried to convince of that fact by showing us a demo model of what we were supposedly looking at. I specifically asked the salesperson if it had identical specs to the one we were looking at, and he reassured me it did (there was even one of those stickers they put on the front of the towers to reassure you of it's capabilities :lol: ). Sure enough, it ran fine....
Now, I'd been using vista for some time on my computer, and I know full well that a minimum system requirement unit isn't going to run vista worth a dang, so I pop on over to the properties menu on MyComputer, and sure enough, that damn showroom model had been upgraded. I could speculate as to what their game is, but that's another thread...
It just gripes me crazy that M$ will claim up and down that consumers are supposedly able to run vista on so little, but that the OS itself isn't even 100% maximizable at the "Vista Premium Ready" level. My computer exceedes their reccomended specs by double and still doesn't run at its full potential with all the options turned on. Even running with an extra 4gig via readyboost its still not quite to where M$ claims it should be.
If they want a pretty OS, great, I'm not opposed to that (in fact I love eye candy, but not when it interferes with the functionality of the system...by the way, Dear Microsoft, Aero is for Saabs, not for Microsoft...NOT YOURS! )[/i]
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Well, Tyler, I dunno what to tell ya. Vista has run fine, without being buggy, on my machine.

You say you bought a new machine and got XP on it...so I'm not surprised it was up to spec. You didn't experience the great wailing and gnashing of teeth that people experienced putting xp on older machines that ran 95/98 just fine. Windows XP wasn't really ready for prime time until SP2.

A quick internet search finds plenty of people the same complaints about xp that you've mentioned about vista. Examples:
http://tinyurl.com/2ux7r
I bought a second hand computer which had Windows XP installed.
However, XP was faulty and would not boot. I decided to downgrade to Windows 98 as I had no intention of going out to buy XP.
http://tinyurl.com/2wkscp
I have a P4 1.6G computer with 256k memory. I recently had my computer wiped and upgraded from Win 98SE to Windows XP Pro and also had a new video card installed. After the installation, everything in the computer seems to be running very very slowly. Load times are taking an incredibly long time to do the simplest tasks (ie. Just opening Word). Programs and games now either do not seem to be working or runs at what seems to be half the speed as before.

And remember, people complained about the learning curve for XP, too, because it's built on windows 2000 technology, whereas 95/98 was built on 16 bit DOS. Things were simply different, but eventually, people got used to them.

And there were plenty of programs (especially games) that wouldn't run on XP that ran on 95/98, because the platforms were different.

And check this out: http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18829228
A year after XP came out, only about 10% of MS's installed base had upgraded. MS knows that any OS they release isn't for today's market--early adopters will also upgrade their machines. It's for people who want to buy new machines a year or two after the OS is released.

To me, this Vista rollout is pretty much "par for the course" in terms of microsoft OS rollouts.
Last edited by Wanderer on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Vista

Post by pastorkeith »

My Vista machine had 4 gigs of RAM a high end Duo Core Pentium, and a 8800 graphics card - the specs can wrestle Vista easily. Still I find the occasional hard lock up requiring reboot. Other than the wireless network adapter and earthlink as my service provider and Kapersky as my security don't know what could be the problem. I keep looking. It does
boot up faster than anything I have ever seen and I like it, but would also like to minimize the lock ups - perhaps SP 1 will help.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I can remember the agonies upgrading to w98, when plenty of folk, including me, still had 286s or 386s. Hell, I can recall the achievement of getting windows 3.11 running on an XT.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Linux! :twisted:
Amen!

I am abandoning Fedora Core 6 and going to Fluxbox Ubuntu. I love it! Image
Last edited by fancypiper on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fancypiper wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Linux! :twisted:
Amen! I am abandoning Fedora Core 6 and going to Fluxbox Ubuntu. Image
You guys talk funny.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

There is a program that will strip Windows Vista down to just what is needed. I think I found the story on slashdot, but I didn't bookmark it. It might even be on Thomas Scott Sexton, that's the web site of my youngest son that is in the US Air Force.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

The Weekenders wrote:You guys talk funny.
We had rather be the wizards of our computers. Image
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

fancypiper wrote:There is a program that will strip Windows Vista down to just what is needed. I think I found the story on slashdot, but I didn't bookmark it. It might even be on Thomas Scott Sexton, that's the web site of my youngest son that is in the US Air Force.

I'll see if I can find it.

tyler - Did you turn off Aero or just remove the transparencies and the font smoothing?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:
fancypiper wrote:There is a program that will strip Windows Vista down to just what is needed. I think I found the story on slashdot, but I didn't bookmark it. It might even be on Thomas Scott Sexton, that's the web site of my youngest son that is in the US Air Force.

tyler - Did you turn off Aero or just remove the transparencies and the font smoothing?
I went to the properties menu and switched everything over to the classic view a'la Win98
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fancypiper wrote:
Yeah, I can't help but think that chanting Ubuntu three times with a wand might.... just .... work.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:
fancypiper wrote:
Yeah, I can't help but think that chanting Ubuntu three times with a wand might.... just .... work.
Needs to be in the proper latin; "Ubuntis!" with the proper wand flourish ought to do the trick...
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Tyler wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:

I went to the properties menu and switched everything over to the classic view a'la Win98
Ah. I thought about that. I found the ability to turn off transparancy and not using smooth fonts. Maybe I'll set it to Windows "Classic" and see what memory boost I get.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

I found it. The program is here: vLite
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Ronbo wrote:
JordanII wrote:I am a Linux user and have Vista (NOT as my main OS... on a secondary computer) it's AWFUL! Compared to Linux there are NO effects and it runs slow and eats the system. it is TERRIBLE! :P If you think the effects are even kind of cool take a look at Compiz: http://compiz.org/Home/Screenshots
The only problem with Linux is that you actually have to learn how to USE it. Not something most people are prone to want to do. :D If you want to compare operating systems, Mac people are the ones who like their steak rare, with a warm center and their martinis shaken, not stirred. Windows folks are just happy to get a hamburger with both parts of the bun. Linux folks, on the other hand, prefer to butcher the steer themselves, and cook it their way.
Ubuntu is EASY. Besides, is that a problem?