X-Rays are normal

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

X-Rays are normal

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't have lung cancer!!!! YEEEEHAAA!

I'm so relieved I feel like I have a new life.
To make a long story short there were some concerns about my lungs that had me scared out of my wits over the last few days.
What I DO have is the beginnings of COPD. Not good, but not so far gone that I can't arrest the progress and live a long, free-breathing, life.

So, the big news is I've finally quit smoking after 36 years. No playing this time.

Today is day 2. I know that's not much yet but it's the longest I've gone in a long long time. It's been interesting to observe but each hour is another step to breathing well and discovering what the non-addicted Flydood is really like. Probably a bigger ass than ever LOL

I can't wait to start smelling and tasting things again!!!!

Of course the beer has to go by the wayside for awhile until I get well past this initial stage but I figure beer will taste a lot better in the long run.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wooohoooo!
Start livin' man...

Quite a load off.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Great news. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Glad to hear no lung cancer. Not so glad to hear about the COPD.

A bloke I used to work with had tried to give up smoking two or three times. His boss, who was a charismatic individual, told him "Smoking is not addictive". This was the fundamental thing for him. Once he had his head around it, he gave up and never even bothered worrying about it.
I've no idea why that made a difference to him, but it did.

Olfactory warning. Not all smells are nice smells. :moreevil:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I smoked for 20 years. Start buying yourself presents right now with at least part of the money that you would have spent on smokes. Things get easier.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
djm

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:What I DO have is the beginnings of COPD.
Is that the sexually transmitted kind?
FlyingC wrote:]I can't wait to start smelling and tasting things again!!!!
I have been a non-smoker now for almost two years. My sense of smell and taste has not come back in any way. In fact, things like radishes that used to be too hot don't even have a taste for me any more, and things like grapefruit that used to be too sour I can now eat without any sugar on them. In fact, I now have a whole grapefruit every day.

If you find yourself getting the shakes etc. that from withdrawal, just let it happen. Don't use that as an excuse to go back to smoking. Let it play out for a few days. It will gradually go away.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

First off - glad for the good news Flydood. :D

I used to work with one of our best "off flavorists" in the company (we got stuff when it went "bad" and we had to figure out why). For YEARS, Mike would have to go out and smoke a cigarette before he would "sniff" (which involved standing for about an hour at the end of an instrument called a gas chromatograph and smelling the vaporized effluent that would elude off the end of the column while the column heated up).

He wound up having angioplasty done, was put on beta blockers, and was told in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS he had to quit smoking.

He only worked about a year after that - he completely lost whatever it was that had "calibrated" his nose (he was close to being able to retire anyway). Even the most common (and most volatile and stinky) compounds he had trouble sniffing and identifying correctly.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

WTFG!

Its worth it.

1 Year 3 Mo 11 Days
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nothing like a close brush with death to wake one up, eh? :o

That's great news! COPD is a whole lot more manageble than lung cancer.

Well... now that you know what the heck your life is worth, live it, my friend!!

Live it well!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

anniemcu wrote:That's great news! COPD is a whole lot more manageble than lung cancer.
Not if you keep smoking!

Everyone thinks "cancer" is the only thing you get from smoking, but it isn't. COPD, emphysema, gum disease, vascular diseases of all sorts, from coronary artery disease to peripheral arterial disease to . . . wrinkles and sagging skin . . . and to . . . not making this up here, folks! . . . impotence.

Congratulations, Fly!
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

On February 21 at 8.05 p.m. I celebrated my 30th anniversary of giving up smoking with a bottle of pink Cava. :party: . Not one scrap of tobacco product has passed my lips since that day in 1978. I was a terrible addict, not happy with fewer than 30 a day of the strongest I could get my hands on. Giving up was the best decision I ever made. Tell everyone you're giving up. Keep busy. Giving up was acutely hurtful for a month, then I spent the next three months sighing and feeling sorry for myself, then I was free. Just think what a great summer you're going to have!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Great news! Now stay strong.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Way to go!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

One other thing...don't buy too heavily into the COPD diagnosis.

I quit in 2004, while in the throws of a terrible infection that included bronchitis. I went to the emergency room, they took a chest X-ray, and told me in no uncertain terms that I had COPD. Turns out that's a stock diagnosis for ANY smoker who's experiencing respiratory problems. A non-smoker might get "acute bronchitis" written in their charts, but the smoker will ALWAYS get "COPD" even if there's no indication that the problem is chronic.

I don't have COPD. Never did.

People talk a lot about "taste" and "smell" "returning"...but I'm four years after quitting, and, to be honest, there's not much difference.

There are lots of good reasons to quit...don't get me wrong. They're expensive (mainly because the anti-smoking lobby have chosen to make them that way), and there IS an increased risk of lung cancer and heart attacks (though that's another thing I think the anti-smoking lobby has overstated), and it's really nice to not be addicted to something (though I still LOVE the smell, and occasionally bum a hit from smoking friends). Just don't let the doctors convince you (and, more importantly, your insurance company) that you have a chronic disease when that may well not be the case. If you ever have to buy your own insurance, that may well come back to haunt you. Give it a few years and ask for another X-ray...chances are good that that "COPD" will have magically disappeared.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Congratulations, Fly. Hang in there and know we're pulling for you!
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.