St. Patrick's Day

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

St. Patrick's Day

Post by Charlene »

What do you folks have planned for St. Patrick's Day?

I plan to go to this:

Come Celebrate a month of old Ireland with a series of paintings from the Irish life of this former Irish Rover. Starting with a St. Patricks Day Party March 17th 4p.m until 9 p.m
at Excellent Frameworks Gallery- 28 Station Street Duncan
(250) 746-7112
Craig Street Brew Pub will be offering samples of their fine beers. There will be wine tasting and Some Irish Soda Bread and Jams to help set the mood.
Of course there will be a music session- so bring your Harp!
Even though my husband has made me promise not to buy a painting. (However, he didn't say anything about buying a print, notecards, calendar, CDs . . . . :D )

It's kind of a long drive from Spokane, but I figure I'll leave after work on Sunday, get over the pass and stop someplace in the Seattle area, then drive the rest of the way up on Monday and drive back on Tuesday. Besides, I haven't been anyplace since August and I'm getting cabin fever stuck in Spokane!
Last edited by Charlene on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlene
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

more importantly, everyone knows St. Paddy's Day is officially on the 15th this year, right?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaki ... ing85.html
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Spokane always has the parade on the Saturday before the 17th anyway. I haven't been able to go to the parade for the past 3 years because I have to work Saturdays.
Charlene
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Well, we're starting early this year, with the Mass in Irish at St. Joseph's in Mountain View (it's this Sunday, because the Sunday before St. Patrick's is Palm Sunday). It's always really neat...just about anybody in the area who can sing in Irish comes together for the choir (we do the Ó Riada Mass), step dancers lead the procession and bring up the gifts, the whole service is as Gaeilge, and there's a lovely gathering afterward with more music and dancing.

On the 16th there's an Irish film festival, followed by a session, at the United Irish Cultural Center in San Francisco, so I'll be going up there for that afternoon and evening.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Buncha gigs on and around the day. It's the most lucrative time of the year.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

It's gonna be a 3 day event at the pub where I work. Live music and deals on Irish beer. I'll be cooking up Irish-related food. The classic Corned Beef and Cabbage(I know, it's Irish-American) and I make a great Chili using Smithwick's. I'm gonna see if I can't come up with some other food specials for the event. Any ideas?

I'll also be performing on Monday! I just hope my finger has healed by then so I can play whistle.(I cut off a piece of my right index finger yesterday! *gasp*) At least I can still sing!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

We'll be wandering up to central London to see the parade and other associated activities on the 16th.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I've never done anything about St. P's day. That may be a bit of a sacrilege around here, I know.
I s'pose, being a Gillespie, I've always identified with the brooding Scot mentality and completely ignored my Irish side.
However, it's getting more difficult to do so. The lady who cuts my hair is a Daugherty, and more into her Irish heritage than any Baltimorean I can think of. Consequently, every 8 weeks I get the lowdown on how, since my mother's a Daughtry, we're only separated by a mere Ellis Island spelling discrepancy, and it's high time I embrace the green in my blood.

But the other thing is...my cranky tactless temperament seems to owe more to my great-grandmother, a Schaffer, so perhaps if I do drink green beer, it should be in a stein.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

3/15: 8am-9pm 3 gigs
3/16: just one- Palm Sunday processional 10am
3/17: 6am -8pm 3 gigs

both days with a spare time slot 11am for the inevitable funeral,
I'm taking it lighter this year; the last 2 years were a real marathon.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Since I quit the pipe band, for the first time in 10 years I don't have to worry about marching in the freezing cold Roanoke St.Pat's parade.

I'm celebrating by not celebrating. :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Monday the 17th: gigs 8am to 9:30 pm.
Sunday the 16th: gigs from 9 am to 5:30 pm.
Saturday the 15th: gig at 7pm.
When you play Highland pipes, and uilleann pipes, and play in an Irish band, you can take nearly every gig that comes along...
I'm just waiting for all those last-minute calls from Pub owners wanting a piper on the 17th, the only pay being free beer and "exposure". You just have to laugh in their face.
missy

Post by missy »

we're playing at the farmer's market (thankfully inside!) on Saturday.

I spent four years freezing my you know what off in the parade in high school and that was enough for me!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Driving from show to show. My daughter is a step dancer and -- as we all know -- parents are support crew.

It's actually kind of fun most of the time. (Except for the fact that designated drivers can't have a pint when a show is at a pub.)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

no plans this year.
might just jump in the van and head off to ennis or galway. im off till tues, so it should be a good rip-up wherever i end up.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm gonna see Dervish.