annoyed by made-up ingredients

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol: NICE. :lol:

What Walden said. I hate those yoghurt commercials with their smoke and mirrors and puffery. The first time I saw that self-satisfied mall-rat of an adolescent looking down her nose while flogging "L. kay-see-eye immewni-toss", I wanted to lock her priggish bourgeois ass in the cellar where she could eat copies of Teen magazine if she got hungry.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Why did I read through the FDA list before breakfast?? :o
Charlene
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Charlene wrote:Why did I read through the FDA list before breakfast?? :o
Vegans are SO screwed.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:The first time I saw that self-satisfied mall-rat of an adolescent looking down her nose while flogging "L. kay-see-eye immewni-toss", I wanted to lock her priggish bourgeois ass in the cellar where she could eat copies of Teen magazine if she got hungry.
Wow. "It rubs the yogurt on its skin, or else it gets the hose again!"
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

What nobody bothers to notice is that if you eat that silly yogurt you waste a container of plastic that will never biodegrade for about 6 spoonfuls of yogurt.

I believe most of these food manufacturers are really in the packaging delivery business, not the food-making business. What better way to get us all to consume so much packaging than put every living spoonful of food we eat into a package?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:The first time I saw that self-satisfied mall-rat of an adolescent looking down her nose while flogging "L. kay-see-eye immewni-toss", I wanted to lock her priggish bourgeois ass in the cellar where she could eat copies of Teen magazine if she got hungry.
Wow. "It rubs the yogurt on its skin, or else it gets the hose again!"
Nah. I wouldn't be nearly so interactive.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nanohedron wrote:
Charlene wrote:Why did I read through the FDA list before breakfast?? :o
Vegans are SO screwed.
At least they have an answer for the common question, "Where do you get your protien?"
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
drruthless
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by drruthless »

dwest wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Rumour has it that the old-style cider makers used to toss a couple of dead rats into the fermenting vats to add a bit of character to the flavour. :D
We make hard cider and we have a friend who owns a winery and vineyard. We'd both would be afraid to remove the hundreds or thousands of wasps from the fruit before it's pressed. Loss of all those little bug guts would ruin the taste.
I once worked at a winery.. The part where they dump the grapes to be crushed. If it can’t jump out, slither out, or fly out ….. It’s.... WINE….Bon apa teet y’all…( haven’t touched the stuff since 88 )

One small step for man
One giant leap for manki…oh my god look what I’ve stepped in…!!
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

sbfluter wrote:What nobody bothers to notice is that if you eat that silly yogurt you waste a container of plastic that will never biodegrade for about 6 spoonfuls of yogurt.
I buy big tubs of plain yogurt, dump some in a bowl, and stir in a little homemade jam for a good fruity yogurt. My teen daughter likes the individual pre-sweetened storebought ones so I do buy those for her sometimes. I hate all the plastic. (The big tubs are great, too, because they are reusable for lots of stuff, like storing dinner leftovers in the fridge.)

One of my pet peeves is the shrinking size of individual servings of yogurt. The standard size used to be 8 ounces. Now they've all shrunk to 6 ounces, and I've noticed that some are now down to 4 ounces. Why is it that they feel the need to shrink the size of a relatively healthy food like yogurt while junk food serving sizes grow?
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
missy

Post by missy »

HDSarah wrote: Why is it that they feel the need to shrink the size of a relatively healthy food like yogurt while junk food serving sizes grow?
because they don't have to "raise the price". You pay the same price today for the 6 oz that you paid last year for the 8 oz.
But you aren't supposed to be able to do the math to figure that one out.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Wanderer wrote:http://www.bifidusdigestivum.com/
just sounds better than "Bifidobacterium animalis DN 173 010" ;)
It just needs the right spin.

Something like "Bifidobacterium DN-173 010, its the only culture some people have!™"
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

You can use one store-bought batch to trigger a large batch of home-made. Those little cups are an ecological foolishness unless you reuse them. They are good for starting plants, sorting nuts, divvying up M&M's, etc. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

HDSarah wrote:
sbfluter wrote:What nobody bothers to notice is that if you eat that silly yogurt you waste a container of plastic that will never biodegrade for about 6 spoonfuls of yogurt.
I buy big tubs of plain yogurt, dump some in a bowl, and stir in a little homemade jam for a good fruity yogurt. My teen daughter likes the individual pre-sweetened storebought ones so I do buy those for her sometimes. I hate all the plastic. (The big tubs are great, too, because they are reusable for lots of stuff, like storing dinner leftovers in the fridge.)

One of my pet peeves is the shrinking size of individual servings of yogurt. The standard size used to be 8 ounces. Now they've all shrunk to 6 ounces, and I've noticed that some are now down to 4 ounces. Why is it that they feel the need to shrink the size of a relatively healthy food like yogurt while junk food serving sizes grow?
If you really want yoghurt fairly often, make your own. It isn't difficult and you can use milk of whatever fat content you choose (I'm not a skimmed milk man, as any photo of me would reveal :( ) Don't kid yourself that shop-bought fruity yoghurts are healthy food. They're crap, filled with all sorts of dodgy ingredients but no real fruit in any quantity. What they do contain is a ton of added sugar. If you make your own you can add your own fruit, or a spoonful of nice jam or something, and you know you're eating proper, healthy grub. It tastes ten times better as well. And it's cheaper. And no plastic tubs going to the landfill to prick your conscience.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

anniemcu wrote: divvying up M&M's, etc. :)
It's very important to be able to eat the blue ones last. :lol: