Cherish The Ladies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Well, I saw Joanie & the girls last night at Wolf Trap and it was quite a treat. As usual, I went home and threw away all my whistles. :-) They played a number of new tunes. They started the night with a set of jigs Joanie wrote after a recent trip to Boffin Island. They were quite good and I wanted to ask Joanie to post the ABCs here, but I didn't get a chance. Maybe she'll see this and respond...

They had step dancers with them and also Dan Stacy (?) who in addition to dancing took a turn on the fiddle and did foot percussion as he played. It was quite fun.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Told you you'd love it. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
FearNot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by FearNot »

So, if you could buy only one of their CDs, which one would it be?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

FearNot wrote:So, if you could buy only one of their CDs, which one would it be?
Every one. :D

I started with Joanie's Song of the Irish Whistle, but now have both volumes of that, plus CTL "The Girls Won't Leave the Boys Alone", (as well as the original "The Boys Won't Leave the Girls Alone"), "Woman of the House", "Out and About", and a couple others that I can't locate at the moment...

Also, do a search for recommended listening, or recommended recordings, as there are many other folks well worth investing in the CD's of as well,.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Going to see CTL in Orange county this Sunday (3/9). I'll write back soon
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I'll be going to see them at Orange County this Sunday, I will dress nicely...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I wonder when CTL wil be touring Australia??!!

Wouldn't miss that!

(BTW, Joanie - if you're reading - please check your PM inbox!)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It was a great concert, had a lot of good Itrad foot stomping music!
So if you get a chance to see them, go for it! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Saw CTL last night. I had never been to the Segerstrom. Seems more intimate that the Disney Hall where I saw the Chieftains, but maybe it had something to do with being in the fifth row.

What a great show. It seems that Ottawa Valley step dancing is the thing to do. The Chieftains had a dancer/fiddle player doing that style of dancing/fiddling in the concert at the Disney Hall, here in L.A.

I've never seen Joanie Madden play live so I was really impressed that she can make a "penny" whistle really sing, extracting as much of the tonal chracteristics of the instrument. Her playing reminds me of Ronan Burke playing Uilleann Pipes. Nice set of tunes, even some that I recognized!!! :-)

Tommy Sands sang "There were roses..." Great voice. Great song. Introduced myself to him and his daughter after the concert.

Joanie played her Burke whistles, but I was wondering what the long black whistle was. I suspect it was a low D of some sort and am curious as to its make. I really wanted CTL to play their name sake jig but they didn't.

Since it was deep behind the Orange curtain, people were dressed up a touch more than the Chieftains at the Disney Hall for all you fashionistas out there.

Go see 'em
pojp58

Post by pojp58 »

I so want to see the CTL but they will not be coming near me any time soon so I will have to count on your post for up dates.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Awesome show, I'll have to write more about it when I get home from work!
wvwhistler

Post by wvwhistler »

fel bautista wrote: Joanie played her Burke whistles, but I was wondering what the long black whistle was. I suspect it was a low D of some sort and am curious as to its make.
She was playing Burkes and O'Riordans at Wolf Trap, at lt least that's what she said when I talked with her.
from another post wrote: The show was simply fantastic!! Joanie asked me to "Say hello to all my fellow Chiffers". The energy in the Barn was really high. My family's night started with seeing the Ladies arrive outside and watching them hang about while they got themselves set to go inside, smoking, getting thier instruments together and chatting. The first set of music and introductions of the band, new comers and guests was 1st class all the way. A short break and then a second set that out did the first. 3 new tunes, 2 written by Joanie and both excellent were mixed into the show and in no time at all, 2 hours were gone! I only wish I could catch the show tonight as well. Joanie also said "that albums need to be done soon and that they will probably do a Whistle cd, a trad cd, and a Ladies cd prety much at the same time. I hope the wait isn't a long one. Those new tunes and the new lead vocalist, guitarist, bodhran player, Liz are all a grand and winning addition to CTL. This was also an ideal 1st concert for our 11 year old who enjoyed himself immensly with clapping, stamping, laughing and singing along. He also found it rather cool to hear the same songs that he hears on our cd's at home and meet the people that he has seen on the computer.
(Joanie, I hope I quoted you correctly. BTW, it was really great to meet and talk with you and Mary Coogan.)
Last edited by wvwhistler on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

The show was awesome and I had a great time. I went with a coworker and I was glad I got there with more than enough time. The drive from the San Diego area was fairly quick as traffic was light.

It was a beautiful venue which Joanie even commented was among the nicest she has ever visted. It was a concert hall at the Orange County Performing Arts Center and it attracted people that were more dressed up than the band.

The first thing I noticed was Joanie's rather thick New York accent. She was great and funny. I also learned that Roisin Dillion is pronounced ro-sheen. I didn't know it at the time but apparently the lead singer, Heidi Talbot left the group a few months ago and she was replaced with a splendid singer by the name of Liz McNicholl.

The audience really loved the Irish step dancing. There was this wonderful fiddler/dancer from Canada and everyone loved him. There was a brief intermission which afforded people bathroom breaks, smokes, or an opportunity to buy CTL CDs out in the lobby. I checked it out but already owned all of CTL's and Joanie Madden's albums. Joanie had mentioned the cruise that she posted on the forums recently and there was additional information about it in the lobby.

After intermission, it picked up quickly again with many songs I was familiar with such as the Cat's Meow and Down By the Sally Gardens. I recognized Joanie playing her O'Riordans and probably what was her Burkes (she had her custom made whistle roll made by our own Annie laying on a table beside her). I was curious about that long black whistle she played as well, it didn't look like an O'Riordan but I could be wrong. It had a large silver tuning slide which I couldn't immediately identify.

Tommy Sands was introduced and played that wonderful song, There Were Roses. I couldn't make out all the words at the time but I googled the lyrics after I got home and found it to be more poignant than I could've imagined.

The show started at 7 PM and continued until around 9:15 or so. The band came out after the show to sign autographs and meet the people. Unfortunately, I couldn't really stand to wait in line as we had a long drive ahead of us and I had to be up early in the morning the following day for work.

It was an amazing experience and we all had great fun. I had great seats in the orchestra section which afforded me a great view of the ladies. We were all tapping our feet and clapping our hands and laughing and cheering out loud. It's quite a different experience seeing them live than listening to their albums. You miss the dancing, impromptu performances and just how funny Joanie is if your CTL experience is limited to their CDs. I recommend everyone see them if you get the chance.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

wvwhistler wrote:I'm catching them on the 4th of March at Wolf Trap.
Rats! Rats! Rats! :boggle:

I was on business in Ballston that night. I could've caught the Metro over to Vienna very easily if I had known.

Next time, I'll check the concert schedule before I go there.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

I was at the Orange County concert, a rollicking good time. ITM ensemble-style isn't my first choice, but the positive vibe and energy more than made up for that. A few times they highlighted one instrument, my favorite was a hornpipe by their accordian player.

Someone wondered about the low whistle played for one song, my educated guess is that it was a low F O'Riordan. In fact Joanie Madden played O'Riordans much of the time, along with Burkes. Seemed to play a Bb for a handful of tunes. All great.

Joanie Madden is one of the friendliest people I've ever met, makes everyone feel like an old friend. After the concert when she was greeting people she lit up if someone said they were a Chiff & Fippler, and said to say hi to everyone here.
Love...Serve...Remember