Persistence and the Boinking 'h'

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Persistence and the Boinking 'h'

Post by weedie »

G'day everyone...Just thought I'd tell you about the interesting time I had yesterday....
I'm a fair way into the restoration of my old Flute ...see the pic http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=57600
Some of the remaining letters were falling off so I decided to take them out,clean them and re-glue them back in...
As I was cleaning the 'h' in 'July 26th',it just went Boink... off the workbench,went Boink... off my chest and landed on the floor :swear:
Now, this 'h' is about 4mm long and 2mm wide..The floor,although swept occasionally,is like a lot of other workshops where sawdust,cobwebs,mouse poo,old beetle wings,metal filings,spider poo and all manner of other things live happily together and when the 'h' landed there,I thought mate, thats the end of that.....
The fact that the 'h' is 140 years old justified a thorough search and so I was down on floor with a lamp and magnifying glass....an hour later,no 'h'.
Not to be put off,I went to the kitchen and got the spaghetti strainer and the flour sifter...I then carefully swept up all of the above detritus and put it all through the sieves...an hour and a half later...no 'h' :(
I was pretty deflated so I decided on a lunch break.....during the break I hit upon an idea..."I wonder if I could gather up all the sweepings (about a shoe box full) carefully burn them and then re-sieve all the ashes"...
Sounded like an OK idea,as long it did'nt get too hot and melt the 'h'....
So off I went and did the biz...after the fire had cooled down,I was left with about a cup of ash......and about halfway through the processing via the flour sieve,there it was ......the 'h' :D ...blackened and charred and very beautiful.......man,was I a happy chappie....as evidenced by my hangover today.....
All in all,about 7 hours was spent on finding the little beggar but is was well worth it..... :thumbsup:
I'll post a photo of the finished Flute soon....
bye for now.........weedie.......
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
daiv
antispam: No

Re: Persistence and the Boinking 'h'

Post by daiv »

weedie wrote:G'day everyone...Just thought I'd tell you about the interesting time I had yesterday....
I'm a fair way into the restoration of my old Flute ...see the pic http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=57600
Some of the remaining letters were falling off so I decided to take them out,clean them and re-glue them back in...
As I was cleaning the 'h' in 'July 26th',it just went Boink... off the workbench,went Boink... off my chest and landed on the floor :swear:
Now, this 'h' is about 4mm long and 2mm wide..The floor,although swept occasionally,is like a lot of other workshops where sawdust,cobwebs,mouse poo,old beetle wings,metal filings,spider poo and all manner of other things live happily together and when the 'h' landed there,I thought mate, thats the end of that.....
The fact that the 'h' is 140 years old justified a thorough search and so I was down on floor with a lamp and magnifying glass....an hour later,no 'h'.
Not to be put off,I went to the kitchen and got the spaghetti strainer and the flour sifter...I then carefully swept up all of the above detritus and put it all through the sieves...an hour and a half later...no 'h' :(
I was pretty deflated so I decided on a lunch break.....during the break I hit upon an idea..."I wonder if I could gather up all the sweepings (about a shoe box full) carefully burn them and then re-sieve all the ashes"...
So off I went and did the biz...after the fire had cooled down,I was left with about a cup of ash......and about halfway through the processing via the flour sieve,there it was ......the 'h' :D ...blackened and charred and very beautiful.......man,was I a happy chappie....as evidenced by my hangover today.....
All in all,about 7 hours was spent on finding the little beggar but is was well worth it..... :thumbsup:
that's some committment there! i'm glad you found your h. i cant wait to see the pix!
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

What a great story, Weedie! :lol: Congrats on finding your "h." :thumbsup:
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

good on ya, weedie.

if i ever lose anything, may i just call you?

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Persistence and the Boinking 'h'

Post by Jon C. »

weedie wrote:G'day everyone...Just thought I'd tell you about the interesting time I had yesterday....
That is the only time I sweep, when I drop a pin or spring, I am down on the floor with a flashlight (torch)... So I feel for ya!
"Bob's your uncle"!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Did anyone ever say you were relentless? I would have had two more suggestion for you if I was there. Instead of burning everything, I would have gone with the other two of the four immortals that you were dealing with. (Earth, wind, fire, & water.) You already had the earth. Next, I would have tried some wind and blew the light particles away. If that wouldn't have worked, I would have dropped all the sweepings in water. Some would have sunk, some would have floated, some would have dissolved. I bet it would have been a bit mucky mess though.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dave shapiro

Post by dave shapiro »

glad you found it! been there myself, more than a few times.

here's an idea that i got from a friend of mine - he has a strong magnet attached to a stick, which he uses to retrieve small (ferrous) metal items that have fallen off the bench.

no good for brass though!

but really handy for tiny screws, et.c.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

You can often get wonderful magnets (even long ones on wheels!) at your local farm & horse supply store. On an old farm like mine, especially where there are horses about, such a thing is downright vital. It's amazing the old nails, chain, mule shoes, and implement parts that turn up during a barnyard walk with my magnet device after a heavy rainstorm (and then there's the old glass, silverware, and pottery shards) .... I got about a five-gallon bucketful a week for the first few months after I moved here.

Meanwhile, weedie, you're an inspiration.

"From the fires of H .... " cheers to ya!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MIT's Francis Bitter Magnet Laboratory (FBML) receives its new 900 MHz superconducting magnet on Wednesday, Sept. 21. The magnet, a cylinder roughly 10 feet high by 6 in diameter and weighing 7 tons, generates a magnetic field of 21.1 Tesla, about 400,000 times larger than the Earth's magnetic field. The magnet is part of the MIT-Harvard Center for Magnetic Resonance supervised by Professor Robert Griffin of chemistry, director of the FBML, and Professor Gerhard Wagner of Harvard Medical School. Photo / Donna Coveney
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hey! They left off the "on loan from Mudhaven" credit! ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

rude, ain't they!
weedie

Post by weedie »

Thats a serious magnet there Denny.....I used to have a steel pin in my leg...(motorcycle crash :( ) and I wouldnt like to be nearby when that big fella was turned on......
Y'all would'nt believe how happy I was when I saw the 'h' sitting there amongst the ashes...the last seven hours just vanished ....
G'day to mutepoint....your ideas would'nt have worked, as when then the sweepings were all gathered up,all the cobwebs,sawdust,assorted poos etc. became a ball.....a veritable conglomerate of floor debris !!
Looking closely at the letters now that they've been cleaned,I'm wondering if they're silver ?? or some alloy...they look to be not 'yellow' enough for brass.....maybe when I post the 'after' pics ,someone will be able to tell....
Thanks for your interest.....great to hear form yers......
Cork

Post by Cork »

Denny wrote:...MIT...
I left MIT, aka "the 'tute", more than twenty years ago.

:-D
Cork

Post by Cork »

weedie wrote:Thats a serious magnet there Denny.....I used to have a steel pin in my leg...(motorcycle crash :( ) and I wouldnt like to be nearby when that big fella was turned on......
No need to worry, weedie, as that pin likely was made of stainless steel, which is non-magnetic.

Motorcycles? Yeah, BTDT, and I've done the ambulance ride, too!

Unlike you in OZ, however, I'm still waiting for the ice and snow to melt, here, just to get my bike out, once again.

;-)
weedie

Post by weedie »

G'day Cork,
I reckon that most people that have had bikes in their time have had that 'sliding along the road' experience.....trouble with my skid was that there was a power pole in the way :o
Once bikes are in the blood though,we'll always have them...
Snow and motorcycles !! Now theres an unhappy mix !! Its Autumn here now and superb weather for a ride.....Apart from the Triumph on my avatar,I have a 1974 Ducati 750 and we are planning a ride this weekend....what type of bike are you waiting to ride when the snow clears??