C flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

C flutes

Post by matahari_1946 »

I was listening to Kevin Crawford's "In Good Company" yesterday and I loved the tracks with Martin Hayes on viola and Crawford on a Bb flute. I don't think I can handle a Bb yet but I have played a C and was OK with it. What I'm wondering is this: who has played a C flute, which maker(s) and what are your thoughts?
~Tiff
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: C flutes

Post by Doug_Tipple »

matahari_1946 wrote:I was listening to Kevin Crawford's "In Good Company" yesterday and I loved the tracks with Martin Hayes on viola and Crawford on a Bb flute. I don't think I can handle a Bb yet but I have played a C and was OK with it. What I'm wondering is this: who has played a C flute, which maker(s) and what are your thoughts?
I make a low-cost, 3-piece, 6-hole low C, cylindrical-bore pvc flute. Even though it is a large flute, I can easily manage the finger stretch with the offset holes, and I don't have very large hands. I have an audio clip of the flute on the audio files page at my website, in case you are interested. The low C flute is at the top of the list.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

I love my Olwell C flute. It's the best of both worlds, really - the mellowness and darkness of a Bb flute with the responsiveness of a concert pitch D flute.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

C is lovely. McGee makes a nice one. Had a WIlkes C here once that was lovely as well. Had a Hammy C here that was lovley too. Burns makes a C I've heard good things about but haven't played. Seems like Jim Stone has one as I recall. Dave Copley also does a C.

Billy miller makes nice bamboo Cs as does Pat Olwell.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I have a Casey Burns C/Bb flute in mopane. I'm still having a bit of a struggle with the reach on the Bb body but the C body is hardly longer than a D, very comfortable and the sound is wonderful and very easy to play, I think it takes less air than my Pratten in D. It makes all those tunes in D minor accessible as well!
huffin' and puffin'
Denny

Post by Denny »

Casey Burns C/Bb/A flute in mopane
the C is very nice, quite managable
with some of the low flute characteristics of the Bb & A
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Dave Copley now makes a keyed C!
(and I have one :D) Just got it a few weeks ago, so I've been waiting to get to know it better before posting.

It definitely has a different, more "dusky" voice than my D. It's a little harder to play because it takes more air. The span's larger but he was able to make it a bit more ergonomic than it might have been. I find it harder to do the ornaments, but I think that's a matter of getting used to it.

Dave Copley is great to work with-- he patiently answered all my questions, and was willing to do the little tweaks I asked for. And he was several weeks ahead of schedule!!! :boggle:

I usually play in church situations and they seem to do things in the key of C or in multiple flats, so it's been working very well for me.

:D

Good luck with your decision!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Tiff,

check out Martin Doyle's site. He has some clips of himself playing his 'C' flute.
Arbo
Cork

Post by Cork »

I have a C flute, by Sweetheart. Nice flute!

I find the C flute to be the largest flute I can comfortably play fast ornaments on (cuts, taps, etc.), the qualifier here being fast. I really like the bigger flutes, too, such as the Bb you mentioned, but perhaps because I spend less time with them, my fingers tend to more notice the stretch between the tone holes, not bad, but just enough to inhibit fast fingering.

YMMV.
Last edited by Cork on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Wow, thanks for the replies! I'm still looking at all of your suggestions but here are a few of my thoughts; I don't like the look of Sweetheart flutes so I'd rather avoid those if I can, even if they do sound nice. I loved the clips of Martin Doyle's C flute on his website but I'm afraid that's a little too pricey for me. I'm too impatient to wait for an Olwell. :) I liked the Copley D that I played for a few weeks, I'll look into this one. The rest I haven't had time to check out yet.

The C flute I played belongs to a local player (and C&F-er). It's a delrin McGee with that MDT thingy which I'm not crazy about. I didn't have any trouble getting the notes out or covering the holes but the tuning and intonation isn't very good. A couple of notes on it were pretty bad the last time I played it. (Sorry, Mark!) I liked the tone but playing this one has made me a little leery of getting one like it. Has anyone else tried a McGee delrin C? Or even a McGee wooden C?

Any other ideas for C's?
~Tiff
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

The Couple of McGee Cs I've played have been spot on in tuning. I think you'll find low flutes in general require a bit more control with embouchure and air stream to maximize intonation.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Caroluna wrote:Dave Copley now makes a keyed C!
(and I have one :D) Just got it a few weeks ago, so I've been waiting to get to know it better before posting.

It definitely has a different, more "dusky" voice than my D. It's a little harder to play because it takes more air. The span's larger but he was able to make it a bit more ergonomic than it might have been. I find it harder to do the ornaments, but I think that's a matter of getting used to it.

Dave Copley is great to work with-- he patiently answered all my questions, and was willing to do the little tweaks I asked for. And he was several weeks ahead of schedule!!! :boggle:

I usually play in church situations and they seem to do things in the key of C or in multiple flats, so it's been working very well for me.

:D

Good luck with your decision!

I'll second this. I played one of his Cs (actually a middle core d'recharge for a D ) little over a week ago. Really nice. I actually didn't find the stretch to be a problem and it was easy enough to fill. I have big hands though.

Real choc-co-la-teh it was too. Kinda like a Bb without the pain.

The fellow that owns it had nothing but praise for Dave and his bedside flute manner.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I'll admit my embouchure isn't the best so that definitely could have been the problem. If I remember correctly, the "E's" didn't sound so great and maybe an "A" too. I should have paid more attention! I just thought of this but it seems to me that the holes on this C flute were pretty small so maybe that's why I didn't have any trouble with the reach. Maybe I wouldn't be able to handle anything bigger than that.
~Tiff
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Aanvil wrote: I played one of his Cs (actually a middle core d'recharge for a D ) little over a week ago.
Hey, maybe we should do a whip 'round and send a "core d'recharge" to that guy in the other thread who needed to perk up after work! Cheers,

Rob
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Rob Sharer wrote:
Aanvil wrote: I played one of his Cs (actually a middle core d'recharge for a D ) little over a week ago.
Hey, maybe we should do a whip 'round and send a "core d'recharge" to that guy in the other thread who needed to perk up after work! Cheers,

Rob

:P

Hey now... I can make up numerous words you'll be able to understand.

I couldn't be arsed to look it up at the time...what is the correct term anywho?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert