Literary epiphany

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Literary epiphany

Post by Flyingcursor »

I just discovered something more surreal than a 10 day acid trip.

Between the ages of 15 and 24 I read Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange" at least 21 times and that was after I started keeping count.

I felt I knew Alex and Pete and Georgie and Dim. I knew them like my own hand!

Tuesday night I stopped at the library and decided to read it again, though it's been over 20 years, to see what I thought after all this time.

I got to the final chapter where Alex jumps from a building in a suicide attempt but he didn't "snuff it". About this time I noticed there were more pages left to go than I remembered but I dismissed it as a glossary and read on.

At the end of this "final" chapter Alex is happily listening to classical music and imagining himself tolchocking every bolshy veck in sight and reveling in the old ultraviolence. Yes Alex was cured.

Yep the same as every other time I read the book.

I turned the page.....

THERE WAS A WHOLE NEW CHAPTER!!!

Bewildered I frantically began searching for my lighter and a cigarette and my teddy bear. This was out of my experience!

"What the hell is this?" I asked myself and my teddy bear.

Without regard for calamity, famine or plague I read a chapter of the book I'd never seen before. A chapter that added a whole new dimension to the book and to the character. It even explained the esoteric title of the whole damned book!

I must tell you I almost cried! I literally almost cried when I read this. It was like finding a missing Gospel that answered all my questions. It was like discovering the truth about the Trojan War or the meaning of eternity!

After I finished the "true" final chapter I decided to read the Forward to the book, (which I never do before I read a book).

For some stupid reason the final chapter of "A Clockwork Orange" was dropped from the American version of the book!!!! It wasn't until 1986, (after the last time I read it), that the chapter was re-added.

I'm still overcoming my anxiety attack and hope to be back to normal soon.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Since you throwed a spoiler at me without warning I get to point out that books have forewords and not forwards. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

God bless you, my child.

(It just felt like I should say that.)
emmline

Re: Literary epiphany

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:For some stupid reason the final chapter of "A Clockwork Orange" was dropped from the American version of the book!!!! It wasn't until 1986, (after the last time I read it), that the chapter was re-added.
Oh, that sucks.
Probably the same stupid reason they changed the title of the first Harry Potter book from "The Philosopher's Stone" to "The Sorcerer's Stone."
Kind of peeved me, so I ordered the UK version.

I'm glad you've been fulfilled.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The movie also stopped at the 20th chapter. The original version had the 21 chapter as a bridge to maturity that made the book complete. The book would seem hollow without it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

What?! Censorship in the US?! I'm so angry. I hate my country sometimes. It definitely does not practice what it preaches.

I'm glad you had an epiphany and your story got all wrapped up finally after all these years.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

here's Mad Magazine's version. I read this as a kid.

http://pages.prodigy.com/kubrick/aco-parody.htm
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I felt that way when I discovered, just last year, that there was another version of Kipling's "The Jungle Books" (note the plural) than the one I grew up with. Red Dog. Mowgli as a grownup. Elephants trashing the...well, I won't spoil it for Walden. It was wonderful!

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

sbfluter wrote:What?! Censorship in the US?! I'm so angry. I hate my country sometimes. It definitely does not practice what it preaches.
I also understand that the movie Blade Runner had a voiceover
added because americans were too stupid to understand it.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

WyoBadger wrote:I felt that way when I discovered, just last year, that there was another version of Kipling's "The Jungle Books" (note the plural) than the one I grew up with. Red Dog. Mowgli as a grownup. Elephants trashing the...well, I won't spoil it for Walden. It was wonderful!

Tom
It's okay. I done read the Classics Illustrated version of the Jungle Book!

Reasonable person
Walden
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

fearfaoin wrote:
sbfluter wrote:What?! Censorship in the US?! I'm so angry. I hate my country sometimes. It definitely does not practice what it preaches.
I also understand that the movie Blade Runner had a voiceover
added because americans were too stupid to understand it.
Never bothered to watch it. But if you are up for an old movie that really, really needed voiceovers (and a makeover), try Dune. The original novel by Frank Herbert was dense, intricate, and long, but you could understand what happened and why. The movie? Seemed like a Brit plotline.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I love it! New wallpaper, maybe......!

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote:here's Mad Magazine's version. I read this as a kid.

http://pages.prodigy.com/kubrick/aco-parody.htm
They still did not get Dim's codpiece right.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I love the cover. Caption reads:

"If you have to ask, why are you looking??? Go play in the street. Jeez."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician