Memory foam mattress toppers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Memory foam mattress toppers

Post by BillChin »

Anyone use one of the memory foam mattress toppers? Like? Dislike? Concerns? Durability?

What about sheets, adding a couple of inches would make a much tighter fit for sheets.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nope. But if that memory foam would remember the shape of my wildest fantasies then I'm sure it would be worth every penny.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have a two-inch thick magnetic mattress pad on our queen-size mattress. If I recall correctly about the construction of the mattress pad, the top inch is memory foam, and it rests on top of 500 high-strength magnets, with standard form for the bottom inch. I am a believer in the use of therapeutic magnets, as I have noticed a big difference in my sleep on the magnetic mattress pad. I was having a lot of pain in my hips and shoulders during the night prior to my purchase of the magnetic pad. I am happy to report that I rarely notice this pain anymore.

The only negative that I can say about the foam padding in the mattress pad is that it has tended to form a hump right in the middle of the mattress between where we lay. This is not really a problem, but I do notice it when I make the bed.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Memory foam mattress toppers

Post by s1m0n »

BillChin wrote:Anyone use one of the memory foam mattress toppers? Like? Dislike? Concerns? Durability?
I shelled out 300 clams extra for a memory-foam topped mattress when I was having back trouble and tried the "get a better mattress" cure. It was complete waste of cash; after a short trial, I flipped my new mattress over and sleep on the other side.

As I discovered, I shift around too much to make use of memory foam. If you sleep like a log, memory foam is great; it'll shape itself to your body and cradle you all night long. OTOH, if you're sleeping like a log, why would be looking for a better mattress?

I roll around all night long. With memory foam, what this means is that every time I shift, I'm sleeping on a lumpy mattress again, because the foam resists changing shape (which is the point with memory foam) for a lag time of several minutes, depending on body heat. Ouch; I wuz robbed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ketida

Post by ketida »

I had one for my old double sized bed. I was trying to get a few more year's use out of the mattress, and it worked fine. I loved the memory foam. It was the 2 inch thick size, and only cost about $80. I had no problem with the sheets fitting, but then, the mattress was getting old, so it wasn't as deep as the new ones are. Eventually I gave up and bought a new, king sized bed, but I still miss the memory foam. At that point, the memory foam was about two years old, but still in very good shape. I would buy another one but the new mattress is the pillow-top-type and I'm pretty sure the sheets wouldn't fit over both the pillow top and the memory foam. Otherwise I would buy another one in a flash.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I have a memory foam mattress. The sheets were special order. It's pretty comfortable. Way better than sleeping on springs.
Reasonable person
Walden
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Too much of a hippie here to give up the waterbed.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

They are hot.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Lambchop wrote:They are hot.
Hippies or waterbeds? Our waterbed heater recently bit the dust. What a challenge it was trying to find a replacement heater within driving distance. The heater on a waterbed has a thermostat that can be adjusted. My wife & I have come to a somewhat happy medium.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Sniff it first.
I've yet to have found one that wasn't out gassing toxic chemicals.

There might be a nontoxic memory foam product out there, but I haven't come across it yet.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I can scarcely think of a more tidy way to use a common household item to trash the environment with toxic chemicals. And as an added bonus you get to pay a fortune to purchase it and then figure out how to dispose of it when finished with it.

I'd rather sleep on pine needles. Or concrete.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
djm

Post by djm »

They are hot in that they reflect body heat. If you thought you were already sweating to death in the summer, you will think you're being roasted alive with one of those things.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:They are hot in that they reflect body heat. If you thought you were already sweating to death in the summer, you will think you're being roasted alive with one of those things.

djm
That's it, exactly. They also mold up around you and block off any hope of ventilation.
Cotelette d'Agneau
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

sbfluter wrote:I can scarcely think of a more tidy way to use a common household item to trash the environment with toxic chemicals. And as an added bonus you get to pay a fortune to purchase it and then figure out how to dispose of it when finished with it.

I'd rather sleep on pine needles. Or concrete.
Well, apparently most mattresses made in the past decade, unless they specify totally toxic chemical free, are outgassing toxic fumes.

I'm sleeping on an older cotton futon. Its not very soft but I use plenty of natural fiber stuffed pillows to accomodate it to what I need.
I keep my fingers crossed that none of my cats ever gets irritated at me enough to pee on it. I don't know what I'd replace it with.

It's been suggested to me to buy a latex mattress, but here's the thing,
all mattresses sold these days (in the USA) have to have some kind of fire proofing.

Its been suggested to me to buy a latex mattress that's covered with wool as fire proofing.
Yeah, right. Doesn't wool release something like cyanide fumes when it burns?

I've been told a getting an Rx from a Dr. using the excuse of an allergy can be used to purchase a mattress without fire proofing,
but a lot of companies that claim their mattresses made from otherwise natural products refuse to say exactly what chemicals they use to fire proof those natural products so
getting the right Rx might be a challenge.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »