Totally OT-- scotch

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fatveg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fatveg »

'For malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.'
Ale, ale's the stuff to drink,
For fellows whom it hurts to think...

Yaeee! Another Housman fan!
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-11-28 12:07, Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
Now that Irish Distillers has been bought over by Pernod Ricard :-{, it is being much more actively marketed in France, and even the great unwashed are beginning to discover that Scotch isn't the only whisk(e)y in the world.
If Pernod-Ricard is in, better stock up whatever you can : soon Scotch will really be the only whisky worth caring about.

B.t.w. I see my previous remark wasn't totally inane. Some could take offense of your nicknames. Remember Englishmen invented the one you just used, as some other niceties : WOG's for instance (of course, "WOG's start in Calais"), but also any other nation they used to be prejudiced about, which includes about everyone else, especially if celtic. :roll:
It may be a bit passé in 21st century.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Hmm. Confused, Zoob. You talkin' ta me? I'm a fully-accredited card-carrying francophile (Etat civil of St-Julien-en-Genvois shows me still married to the same frog who turned into a princess when I kissed her in 1975).

I took your wink to mean that there was no misunderstanding or even risk thereof. The assholitude of the person I referred to is a purely personal characteristic. And, Irish hypocrite that I am, I'm still polite to him when I meet him.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

No sweat, Roger!
And I really like reading fairy tales like yours :smile:

Hey, I mean I don't call you a fairy, Roger! Roger? Can you read me ?

I guess it's just I got used to adding smileys, or italic, or quotes, whenever something could be misinterpreted for lack of live voice intonations.
I have a hard time with put-down ethnic nicknames, when they're not blatantly tongue-in-cheek.
Someone once called me here P.C. for that. I guess I am PC in the "ow-so-proper" sense. Worse--I try hard!

All to say, no hard feelings! You don't frighten us, would-be English colonized pig-dogs, married to a would-be Swiss batrachian deported in would-be has-been France! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. :lol:

Post by Guest »

The only good bottle of scotch is an'emtieern.
He! He, Hic.
:lol:
Dizzy

Post by Guest »

[quote]
On 2002-11-28 08:09, Lizzie wrote:
My favourite is Glenmorangie....ye canna go wrong here!

Great stuff, that's my local brew, best with an 80 shillings chaser.
:eek:
Pishie
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

aye, glenmorangie, best sold malt in scotland.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Ale is the stuff I Like to drink
When I reserve the Power to Think
Guiness is the Beer for me
When I wish not to see
Rumplemints Gets me wanting more
But me ends up passed out on the floor
Goldschloger gives me the power of three
Because that's how many pairs I see
Scotch the nectar of the land
In and Irish Carbnomb I can not stand
Now that I'm as drunk as can be
I'll play on my whistle a Merry Jig
For Thee
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Hallatauer

Post by Hallatauer »

I myself am a single malt fan. As far as how to drink it, try one brand several ways and see which you prefer. Straight up, a little water or on the rocks. It's your choice! I prefer them straight up unless they have a bit of an alcohol burn, then I'll add a little water to cool it down.

Tha Macallans is a good one to start as well as the Glenmorangie. Want a really strong flavor to contrast, try Laphroig.

Happy drinking... err hunting

Hallatauer
Dan the Squeaker Extrodinaire
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I first developed a taste for scotch many years ago while a freshman in college. Up to that time I foolishly thought it tasted something like Listerine. However, one partying night the spirits were running short, and only scotch was left. I found that one can develop a taste for it in only one or two drinks if one is already limbered up.

Soda, by the way works well with it, as does ice, water and even (believe it or not) hot chocolate!

happy toons

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulsdad on 2002-12-02 19:09 ]</font>
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

O whiskey of whiskeys, Laphroig's Islay single malt's the one, smokey, sharp, heavenly. A little too dear at $45 per, but McClellands makes a passable Islay single malt (less peaty) selling here for about $20 per. Both just fine in front of the fireplace.