plumbers tape to seal reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin King
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

plumbers tape to seal reeds

Post by Kevin King »

I've had a go at making some reeds but when i tested them for leaks they never seem to be fully air tight. Would it be a good idea to put plumbers tape under the wrapping to seal them ,I've seen reeds with the tape on the outside.

Thanks
Kevin King
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

I wrap the reeds with plumbers tape and then bind them.Works for me.
mike spencer
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Dave Hegarty does it. I put the tape outside the wrapping once. It won't win a beauty contests, but the reed is excellent, so who cares

One basic and very important thing to keep in mind; the slip MUST be the same width from top to bottom. It's true that where the tails end up (either side of the slip) it's not as important, but forget that you read that and just be dead on accurate from top to bottom. Keep things uniform

If your gauge is reading (for example) .496 and elsewhere .490 etc, you will have leaks. The more steps you have dead on, the less chance for weirdness.
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Yes' I also use the tape, :wink: would'nt be without it.all the best.
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I used to seal the reed with plumbers tape and then wax the thread like Geoff Wooff on NPU reedmalking DVD.

I now use Waxed Polymide thread as it is 100% air tight as you don't need any plumbers tape to seal reeds before the binding the reeds. I first saw My pipemaker Andreas Rogge use it.

I have seen Robbie Hughes use cling film to seal reeds before the binding with waxed Hemp

Other reedmakers using Waxed Polymide thread is
Cillian O’ Briain, Bill Haneman, Pat Stones, Alan Burton.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

I use this, I was put onto it by Bill H - RS Online part no 303-1675. I don't get leaks anymore, although I find sanding the slip on a flat surface with 600 or 1200 before tying on helps with this a lot. I press (lightly) about where the eye will be.

Scribble on the slip with pencil and you can see where you're taking it off. If there's a bit with pencil still on it will leak there, maybe (low spot).

C Cannon would advocate pressing on the binding whilst spinning on the winding engine to seal. I don't find it helps but he does make good reeds!

BTW sometimes a reed will leak through the lips when snapped shut. To eliminate this as a cause of leak rest your finger against them whilst sucking.

It happens with uneven scraping / sanding when using the Benedict K method sometimes.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

One problem with plumber's tape is that it (and slips) might move when you're fitting the reed into the seat.
PJ
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Fergmaun wrote:I now use Waxed Polymide thread
Hi Ferg,
do you by chance know a source for this waxed thread in black?
billh

Post by billh »

Sam L wrote:I use this, I was put onto it by Bill H - RS Online part no 303-1675. .
Note that not all waxed polyamide threads are "created equal." The part above is the thinnest/smallest diameter which RS stocks (about the size of "dental tape"), and it works much better for me than the thicker stuff (the thick stuff is useful for binding stocks, etc.) I know Andreas uses, or used to use, a wider variety but his was still fairly 'thin', it's not round but rather flattened in cross-section.

Some folks who have reported problems with waxed polyamide thread may have been using the thicker stuff, IMO it may be worth giving it another go with the thin stuff.

Unfortunately NPU ordered a bunch of heavy stuff a couple of years back, so their stock may be a bit thick unless they have re-ordered.

Glad it's working for you, Sam!

Best regards

Bill
Charlie Skelton

Post by Charlie Skelton »

I use superglue; dribble it over the binding and then wipe with polythene sheet ( which does not stick ), it's totally airtight, instant, and holds everything together too. I'm not sure about longevity and you have to watch the fumes.
If you pull a reed apart ( not too easy) you get left with a little thread chrysalis, unfortunately none have hatched so far!!!

Cheers,

Charlie.
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Can someone provide a link to whoever this "RS" is. I did a google search and came up with an Indian manufacturer. Thank you.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

KevinCorkery wrote:Can someone provide a link to whoever this "RS" is.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=3031675

This sounds a lot like the "waxed artificial sinew" available from Tandy.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/prod ... er=3609-00

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Last edited by Jumper on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

search google for rs online it gets you www.rswww.com which seems to work out where in the world you are and redirects me to Planet Janet, sorry redirects me to http://uk.rs-online.com/web/
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

What about waxed thread for fly tying?
Danville waxed threads come in a few different sizes and a veriety of colors.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/thread.htm

Too thin?

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
WireHarp

Post by WireHarp »

I have never had any luck with waxed thread. For a while, I went to oboe thread which is unwaxed, and then used a waterbased varnish over the thread. This can actually work quite well, but you cannot untie to adjust the staple without redoing the whole shebang.
Then I found this "Parafilm" from Forrests http://www.forrestsmusic.com/thread

It is a thin wax film that will actually stretch, and when you wrap it around
the thread it sticks to itself like glue. I started using on waxed thread, and if you hold it very close to a halogen desk light it will actually melt into the other wax. Cheap too.

Problem with waxed threads used for sewing leather, I think they are way too thick. The NPU video on reedmaking mentions a flattened polymide thread and iI haven't been able to find any on the web. I constantly feel as if I am using the wrong stuff... first the wrong type of cane, wrong gouge sweep, wrong thread type... arrggg...

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com