Forgive me, Father. I've converted to Wal-Mart.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
izzarina wrote: I tend to think that's what WalMart is TRYING to do, but really, that smiley face is rather frightening. Kind of like clowns. The more I see, the more afraid I am.
Sugar gives you cavities, heart disease, and even cancer.
No, no, no.....too MUCH sugar gives you cavities, heart disease, and even cancer. Plus, if you use unrefined sugar, your risks go way down. It's all that refining that's terrible for you, and that goes for any food.
So Wal-Mart is refined sugar. You can live with NO refined sugar, but you can DIE from too much.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If I had to guess where I got the sugar cubes and coffee, I'd guess Kroger's. I know that every one one of my actions has a chain of related actions forward, backwards, sideways, and any combination thereof. I try to do the least harm that I can. I wish I had the luxury of being socially conscious with every action that I take. But sometimes, that's difficult to know and achieve.

The water did come from West Virginia, one of our abundant natural resources here.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:It's all that refining that's terrible for you
Oh good! I've hardly got me any refining at all! :wink:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Aldi's will save you a good deal more.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Please, someone find me the methadone to Wal-Mart.
Don't do it. It's just as bad, as expensive, only semi-legal(better pray you don't get stopped while driving home from Walmart, you'll get a DUI) and they'll call you in at a moments notice to do a bottle count.

Check yourself into Sam's Rehab Clinic and get clean. Those smiley faces are sportin' an illegal smile.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I despise Wal-Mart. It's a bad company and they don't get any of my money.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Dale wrote:I despise Wal-Mart. It's a bad company and they don't get any of my money.
The matter is not that black and white, especially to people of limited means living where Wal-Mart is the only viable option. I mean Dollar General is great, but you just can't shop there exclusively.

I live near Bentonville. Wal-Mart was part of most everyone's life here before I was born. It was hard being without it when we moved overseas.
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:
Dale wrote:I despise Wal-Mart. It's a bad company and they don't get any of my money.
The matter is not that black and white...
As most are not.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I shop at Asda/Wal-Mart. Wish I didn't but it's cheaper than Sainsbury's and I can't be bothered driving to Tesco's on the other side of the city.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Thanks for that, Susan, I'm with you.

M
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:
The matter is not that black and white, especially to people of limited means living where Wal-Mart is the only viable option. I mean Dollar General is great, but you just can't shop there exclusively.

I live near Bentonville. Wal-Mart was part of most everyone's life here before I was born. It was hard being without it when we moved overseas.
I was going to respond this same way. I know hundreds and hundreds of people who live in a rural area where Wal-Mart is now the only option.

Fourty years ago apparently there were 3 grocery stores, 2 craft shops, a pet store, and even a bar in town plus lots of smaller places, but now there's only Wal-Mart, Dollar General, and Sav-A-Lot, besides gas stations.

I recently took a Poverty and Justice religion class and one of the things we learned was that such a high percentage (I forgot the number, sorry) of Wal-Mart Superstores (compared to the regular Wal-Marts) are located in impoverished, rural areas. There's a real connection.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote:
Walden wrote:

I was going to respond this same way. I know hundreds and hundreds of people who live in a rural area where Wal-Mart is now the only option.

Fourty years ago apparently there were 3 grocery stores, 2 craft shops, a pet store, and even a bar in town plus lots of smaller places, but now there's only Wal-Mart, Dollar General, and Sav-A-Lot, besides gas stations.

I recently took a Poverty and Justice religion class and one of the things we learned was that such a high percentage (I forgot the number, sorry) of Wal-Mart Superstores (compared to the regular Wal-Marts) are located in impoverished, rural areas. There's a real connection.
I certainly don't hold it against people that are more or less forced to shop there. I know it's a privilege that I have more options because of where I live and our family income.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Cranberry wrote: I know hundreds and hundreds of people who live in a rural area where Wal-Mart is now the only option.

I grew up in a small town of 5,000 people in Indiana. As a kid, I remember shopping with my mother at small grocery markets in the downtown area (around the square). Fifty years later the small grocery stores, independent drug stores, and clothing stores are all gone. What is left is only a shell of what was once a wonderful small town. The Walmart superstore, sitting at the edge of town, is now the only supermarket in town, although you can buy necessities like bread and milk at the few remaining service stations.

There are only three places in the whole county where you can buy prescription medications, and Walmart is one of them. In Walmart's defense, however, people with limited income can buy a lot more food at Walmart for their dollar than they could at the family-owned Marsh Supermarket that had dominated the grocery market in town previosuly. Shopping at the Marsh supermarkets in other cities across the state, I could see how they were raising the prices on items when they had a captive market, as in my hometown. The prices at the Walmart store appear to be the same prices as here in Indianapolis, the state capitol, where there is a lot of competition for the grocery market.

Being retired from a regular full-time job, I have the liberty of shopping during the less-crowded daytime hours at a variety of stores. This allows me to shop for sale items. There are a few items that I purchase at Walmart. I do compliment Walmart for having public recycling bins for glass, metal cans, plastic bottles, and newspaper/cardboard in their parking lot. I don't think that there is another supermarket in town that offers public recycling, and since we don't have curbside recycling in the city, this is an important service. They also will accept my used plastic bags for recycling.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cranberry wrote:
Did you buy it from Wal-Mart and will you share it with starving orphans in China?
I'm interested i this link between Walmart and starving orphans in China. Is this just inflammatory rhetoric, or do you have some evidence that walmart creates starving orphans in china.

I just have a hard time understanding the link. Does Walmart work their parents to death? Does Walmart refuse to sell food to orphanages?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:
izzarina wrote:It's all that refining that's terrible for you
Oh good! I've hardly got me any refining at all! :wink:
Really? I hadn't noticed :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.