returning emails unread?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

returning emails unread?

Post by Jack »

Is there a way in Microsoft Outlook to return an email, unread, the way you can return a letter in the mail?
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

You close your eyes and don't look at it, then you hit REPLY and SEND.

Then you can block that address.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Well, I want the whole story before suggesting an answer.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well, since you can mark the email as read or unread, that would be the thing to do. I'm not sure if you send it back, that the original sender will be able to tell if you have read it or not. Many of my business senders mark their emails with a "read verification". If it doesn't have that, then most senders would just assume that you've read it.

Why not create a new folder in your outlook box called something like "not to be read" and move the message in there. Then send a message to the originator saying something like "I am not at home to emails with topics 'whatever-it-is' thank you." Or send them a message telling them that you will block all their future emails, if you feel that is appropriate.

But you don't send emails back in that way. The "mail" metaphor is not exact.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You're getting straight lichen again, aren't you?
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

No, it's not pоrn (lichen).

I have legal matters and I've chosen with the advice of counsel not to speak about a certain issue. I send letters back and don't answer the door or phone when it's certain individuals, but I don't know how to similarly handle emails. I don't want to block all their addresses, because I can speak about most topics, just not a certain one.

That sounds much more dramatic than it is, by the way.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

forward it back rather than reply. you might not have to look at it that way. you could even add a note saying you didn't read it.
白飞梦
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I do not believe that you can return an email like you can a letter. It's not technologically possible.

If it is certain individuals' emails that you have been instructed not to read, you might want to set up a rule to instantly delete all their messages. It still might not pass the legal test however, since you technically did receive the email. It would remove temptation from you, though. You could also flag for deletion emails containing certain words, too.

If you have access to your email account at the server level, you might be able to set something up to mark emails from that individual or emails that contain that subject matter as spam so that you don't receive them in your mail client at all.

The other thing might be to start a new email address and discontinue the old one, only telling people you wish to receive email from what the new address is.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

You could just delete it unread if you can tell from the subject title that it's something you don't want to read ("busness offer" or "dearly beloved" or "enlarge . . . . " are good tip-offs! :D )

Otherwise, delete it as soon as you know it's something you don't want. You could, if you know the sender and want to stay friends with them but don't want any mail on a certain subject, send them an e-mail saying something along the lines of "I still want to hear from you on other matters but let's stay away from the subject of (whatever it is)." Then hope your friends are nice enough to honor your wishes.
Charlene
Jack

Post by Jack »

It's a college address, so I cannot discontinue it.

How do I block certain senders, by the way?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

For senders, on an email that they've sent, right-click on the email and you should have an option "Junk Email". Within this there is an option "Add to blocked Senders List".
If you can't block the sender (because they are an authority within your network, like our Human Resources "You-at-Work" spam, which drives us all nuts) you can sometimes block the topic. On the menu choose "Rules and Alerts" then "New Rule" and decide who or what you want to block or move to a select "Ignore this" folder.

But I keep doing this to the Human Resources rubbish and the network guys keep overriding it. You'll just have to pay your college bills, Cran.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jack

Post by Jack »

It's not about bills, either! :lol:

Thank you everybody.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

In Mac Mail, you can bounce an email back making it seem like it's the wrong email address (you go into the menu bar to "message" and then select "bounce" from the pull down menu). I'm not sure if other clients do this or not, nor do I know if this is what you are looking for to begin with. I just thought I'd put it out there.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

If all you want to do is not read the emails, then just don't read them.

However, sending them back "unread" isn't not talking about the subject. It's what is known as "getting the last word."

Probably, your legal counsel told you not to discuss the matter. Returning letters is just keeping on with it. Returning emails is just keeping on with it. It's discussing it by bringing up that you don't want to discuss it.

Nobody has any legal hold over you via plain old letters and sending you junk email. That's because nobody has any proof that you received a letter or email unless you acknowledge it in some way, i.e., by signing for a certified letter or allowing a "yes, I read it" receipt in email.

If you're supposed to be not discussing it, then just throw the letters in the trash and junk the emails. "Not discussing it" is an action you can be responsible for, and it includes not getting the last word. Just put on the big-boy underpants and take responsibility for letting the issue go.
Cotelette d'Agneau
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Lambchop wrote:If all you want to do is not read the emails, then just don't read them.

However, sending them back "unread" isn't not talking about the subject. It's what is known as "getting the last word."

Probably, your legal counsel told you not to discuss the matter. Returning letters is just keeping on with it. Returning emails is just keeping on with it. It's discussing it by bringing up that you don't want to discuss it.

Nobody has any legal hold over you via plain old letters and sending you junk email. That's because nobody has any proof that you received a letter or email unless you acknowledge it in some way, i.e., by signing for a certified letter or allowing a "yes, I read it" receipt in email.

If you're supposed to be not discussing it, then just throw the letters in the trash and junk the emails. "Not discussing it" is an action you can be responsible for, and it includes not getting the last word. Just put on the big-boy underpants and take responsibility for letting the issue go.
Sound advice.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard