A walk in the woods

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

A walk in the woods

Post by sbfluter »

I turned 43 yesterday. I took the day off from work, but I really honestly felt like I quit my job as I walked out the door on Thursday evening. I quit my job in my heart.

I am going to go for a walk in the woods. I haven't quite decided exactly where I will start and where I will end, but it's entirely possible that I will start at the border of Mexico and end in Canada.

I've been wanting to do this since 1975 when National Geographic produced a book about the Pacific Crest Trail. I was 10 years old then. I have carried this book around all those years.

It's time. The universe is commanding me to do it. I just hope that I have the courage to hand in my walking papers -- literally. I'm not sure I'm to the point where I fear more what will happen to me if I don't, but I do feel like I crossed a threshold and it's time to go.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Good for you. I decided to up sticks and do what I really wanted a few years earlier in life than you did (but not by much) and the upheaval was probably larger, but I never regretted it, life's too short to put off things you really want to do because you're tied to a job or a settled life. It may not be the easier option but probably the better one. Good luck and bring your flute as you go.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Wow Diane that is breaking news. You have been entertaining these kind of thoughts for some time so it isn't entirely a surprise. If you do decide to make the leap, or even if you don't, happy trails.

As some readers know I am a hobbyist songwriter. Here is a kernel of a song (or poem) for your situation:
>>

I walk a hundred miles searching for a star,
a star to guide me home

Three weeks ago I quit my job, gave up my lease
I left to find some meaning in an ever complex world

I walk by day, watch the stars by night
looking for some answers

I walk a hundred miles searching for a star,
a star to guide me home

>>
I think a lot of folks are looking for that metaphoric star, that metaphoric home. Good luck with whatever you decide.
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Yes, the Pacific Crest. Although the one we decided, ten or so years ago, that we would hike was going to be the Continental Divide trail. Not as well established, but certainly worthy.

That was scheduled to happen just a few years from now, but turns out we can't.

Maybe if you can, you should!
(send pics.)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Whoa.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

emmline wrote:Yes, the Pacific Crest. Although the one we decided, ten or so years ago, that we would hike was going to be the Continental Divide trail. Not as well established, but certainly worthy.

That was scheduled to happen just a few years from now, but turns out we can't.

Maybe if you can, you should!
(send pics.)
It's an age/lifestage thing. A lot of people (in their 40s/50s) here would go off on St James' Way, Camino de Santiago de Compostella and take stock/do a spiritual refill.

Happened to be talking about that last week as a number of people I know are planning to go off on that one in the coming months.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Peter Laban wrote: It's an age/lifestage thing.
Yes, I do believe it is.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

emmline wrote:
Peter Laban wrote: It's an age/lifestage thing.
Yes, I do believe it is.
Sort of a mortality thing, too. Gets bigger every day. :)
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

It probably is an age thing, but I've been struggling with this "age thing" all my life it seems. I am not made for the corporate world and I've tolerated it now for only a mere 8 years. In fact, the corporate lifestyle makes me angry. I'm not walking my own talk and I realize I'm pretty mad at myself for that.

I just realized there were signs indicating that this is probably the right thing to do and the right time to do it:

1. I knew my new job was a mistake by this time last year, but I stuck it out in hopes I could get used to it. I dread going there every day. Truly. I feel like a zombie. I need to change course.

2. I dream of feeling warm sunshine on my face and watching birds but I spend my days in a cube where it's really cold and the lights aren't even on. We recently moved offices and this new one is even colder than the last. We all have to wear hats, scarfs and parkas to endure it. I see it as a sign that the longer I don't pursue this dream the colder and darker and further from it I'm going to get.

3. Little synchronicities keep popping up. Articles in the paper, songs, unsolicited comments from people, whatever. Not to mention that a giant wildfire burned away my entire local wilderness area in an almost perfect circumference of it. An easier, shorter, closer respite has been eliminated as a possibility at least in a metaphorical sense.

4. I'm already in shape, have solo hiked and backpacked before, have even been to 18,200 feet elevation before. I have over 50K saved up. I already have most of the gear I would ever need. There's no real obstacle in my path other than fear. If I can overcome that, I will go.

If I can't overcome the fear, then I just need to find SOME kind of new path to walk. I cannot take another dreadful Monday. I just can't do it anymore. When something is wrong for a year it's obvious it's time to change course.

I'm not sure what instrument to bring. I don't want to lose my embouchure so I could bring my Tipple. But I think my low whistle would sound so much more like it belongs out there. And my strumstick would be a lot of fun because I could compose songs as I went along.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hope to meet up someday. You sound cool. Good luck whatever you decide. I have run into Cresters before, when we camped at Kings Canyon and also up in Shasta I think. i respect 'em a lot. I wish I had a parallel life without the obligations I willingly signed up for (my kids, etc.) so I could do something like that before I no longer can (age)..

Hope you have good shoes. Mundane but true.

Frankly, my dream would be to walk England. Because they have a different concept of private property there. It's OKAY to walk across a known path on someone's farm, go over the turnstile or whatever and keep going. Not likely to get the pitbull, rifle or general alarm as we do here. As I would prefer to walk lightly, I would stay in BandBs and such. There is always a next town there.

Just remember: John Muir used a mule to carry his stuff most of the time, as did Brewer, Perlot and others. Much of the prose by early Sierra Clubbers was not created carrying a 40lb backpack. I think this is way overlooked. A person would have a vastly different experience.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Diane, rather than quiting your job outright, you may want to request a leave of absence for "personal reasons". This would give you a little time to think it through. You would have time to drive to a beautiful area, hike for days or weeks, and develop a plan for what you would like to do next. That you thought about taking your Tipple with you on your journey makes me happy. Good luck and best wishes.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

sbfluter wrote: If I can't overcome the fear, then I just need to find SOME kind of new path to walk. I cannot take another dreadful Monday. I just can't do it anymore. When something is wrong for a year it's obvious it's time to change course.

I'm not sure what instrument to bring. I don't want to lose my embouchure so I could bring my Tipple. But I think my low whistle would sound so much more like it belongs out there. And my strumstick would be a lot of fun because I could compose songs as I went along.
Re: the part in bold, definitely go on the hike rather than wind up like the girl in the Boomtown Rats song. Go for it, Diane!

The strumstick is a great idea; I'd go for a flute rather than a low whistle -- the whistle just doesn't have enough volume to play outdoors, at least for me.

PS -- I guess you've read the Bryson book, right? It's the best nonfiction I've read in ages (but then I don't read much nonfiction).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Go for it! :thumbsup:

Hiking is what allows me to retain some semblance of sanity in my daily corporate existence. (And at least I don't completely hate my job.) I'd love to take off and hike the PCT (or the CDT, or the AT, or ...). Alas, other obligations (which, like Weeks, I willingly chose) force me to keep my hiking dreams smaller. The 92-mile Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier is more the size that fits.

Here's some inspiration: Scott Williamson: PCT Thru Huker. This guy has yo-yoed the PCT (Mexico-to-Canada and back in a single hiking season) twice.

Best of luck whatever you end up doing! :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote: Frankly, my dream would be to walk England. Because they have a different concept of private property there. It's OKAY to walk across a known path on someone's farm, go over the turnstile or whatever and keep going. Not likely to get the pitbull, rifle or general alarm as we do here. As I would prefer to walk lightly, I would stay in BandBs and such. There is always a next town there.
I would do that in a flash.