Low D and air requirements

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D and air requirements

Post by Bothrops »

I received a Susato low D yesterday, and I was playing it a lot, but I really can't understand it.
I've never played a low D before, but I thought they would require more air than a high D whistle.. I'm having problems with the lower notes (low D, E, F#) , because if I push them a bit they easily break into the 2nd octave. I can't play, for example, "Morrison's Jig" unless I play it SO low.
Is it normal? Am I doing something wrong?
I have a bamboo flute, and the low D is ALMOST as difficult to play as the flute!. :boggle:
Sometimes it seems that I can push the lower notes just a bit more, but I should do a huge effort to control it with when playing even a slow air..
medit8b1
antispam: No

Post by medit8b1 »

Yes, most low D's require light breath and good breath control on the bottom notes to keep from breaking into the second octave or just plain squawking. Exceptions include Burkes, Reyburns and to a certain extent Howards. My Susato is actually not too bad in comparison in that deptartment, I certainly have some that are worse, Reviol, Dixon, Kerry Pro. Hope this helps :)
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

medit8b1 wrote:Yes, most low D's require light breath and good breath control on the bottom notes to keep from breaking into the second octave or just plain squawking. Exceptions include Burkes, Reyburns and to a certain extent Howards. My Susato is actually not too bad in comparison in that deptartment, I certainly have some that are worse, Reviol, Dixon, Kerry Pro. Hope this helps :)
Thanks, it does help indeed. I'm just accustomed to hear recordings of people playing low D's and I had never heard problems regarding to breath control, I thought it was like a high D, but bigger.

Anyways, if somebody has a Susato low D and could record "Morrison's Jig" or "Cooley's Reel" for example, I'd be very greatful. I want to hear how it SHOULD sound.
I could play simple jigs such as "Kesh Jig", "The Old Favourite" and they didn't sound so bad, but I'm still not satisfied.

Thanks a lot, medit8b1.
taity

Post by taity »

i have dixon low d and it play great not loud but has a lovely tone to it. on the other hand my low f susato is a lot harder to play with out a squeel here and there must b down the spending to much time on the low d . must be a case of no 2 whistles are the same :boggle:
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

I have a Susato Kildare low D, I love it! It requires some breath control as said, but it's not that difficult to become used to it. I'll try to record Morrison's this weekend.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I have a Dixon low D, too. I don't have any trouble with the low octaves jumping up. It does take more air in the upper octaves than the flute, however.

I think issues of breath control resolve themselves eventually. Just play it for a while, at least until you no longer compare it to something else. It'll come.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Just wanted to preface my last comment. I was addressing just the issue of the breath control required on the bottom note of the whistles, not the overall quality of each brand. I have a dixon abs low D that I like very much and my Reviol is one of my absolute favorite whistles, it has an amazing sound/tone.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

When i got my dixon low b abs i have the same problem. Now im getting on track on the breath req on it, and im just a very novice player. Im sure you will get used to the air requirement when you give it a few more days/weeks :)
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks a lot, people. Good to know that it's normal. I'll practice a lot to get used to it :wink:
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

scoutcow wrote:I have a Susato Kildare low D, I love it! It requires some breath control as said, but it's not that difficult to become used to it. I'll try to record Morrison's this weekend.
I'll thank you very much if you record it!

Regards,
Martin
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have two Susato low D's and a Susato low C and they are not touchy at all. On them you can blow the lowest notes fairly strongly, and all have a strong "bell note".

I've tested quite a few makes of low D whistle within the last year (Overton, MK, Burke, Susato, Kerry, Copeland) and what I've found is that each of these low notes tends to have a different "breaking point".

Blow bottom D, the bell note. Increase pressure until it breaks into the second octave. Remember exactly what pressure it took to make the note break the octave. Now do the same with low E, low F#, and low G.
You'll probably find, no matter what brand, that each note has a slightly different "breaking point".

This has a big impact on how you play. If you're using dynamics, you'll be blowing those low notes at various pressures. If one note (usually it's low E) is weaker than its neighbors, when you're playing along that note might break when you don't want it to.
It's the "weakest link" thing: you end up having to blow the low range at the pressure the weakest note can stand. Either that, or you have to try to play each note at a different pressure, which doesn't work with Irish reels and jigs up to speed.

But I suspect that a lot of your problem is just getting used to how low D whistles play. It may just be that you're not getting a good airtight seal on all the fingerholes, which of course will make the notes sound fuzzy and/or break the octave.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks, pancelticpiper!! You gave me a valuable help!

First of all, I realized that my grip was a bit soft, if I tighten it a bit (without doing a death grip) I can push the low notes a bit more.
Second, I didn't know that the low E was the weakest note (I test it, and it is, indeed), so I appreciate the comment that it's better to try to blow the lowest notes at the highest pressure that the low E can stand for not using different pressures to each note.

You were very helpful!

Thanks again,

Regards,
Martin
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

This is more or less the best I could play with my low D (regarding to ''fast'' tunes) after practicing for two days http://audio.xanga.com/Bothrops/20d041911686/audio.html
It's still rather bad, but I'm being able to play the lower notes at least!