is unicycle hard?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

is unicycle hard?

Post by Jack »

I thought I remember somebody here saying they rode a unicycle.

Is it hard to do? I'm in talks about possibly buying a used one that a woman bought and never used for $35.

I'm just curious if it's difficult...
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Yes. It is a whole new level of balance.
Personally, I can't do it because I don't like to go splat, but 3 of my 4 children mastered it a few years ago by riding down a hallway using the walls on either side to prevent calamity.

A common mistake, or so I'm am told, is the feeling that you want to be upright, or even slightly leaning back, and apparently there has to be a bit of forward lean.

They say that it's like bike riding, in that once you get it, you get it, but I think the balance thing remains trickier and more subject to pitfalls, and "getting it" usually has a bit more of a learning curve than just being brave, letting go, and believing as in bike riding.
hyldemoer

Re: is unicycle hard?

Post by hyldemoer »

Cranberry wrote:I thought I remember somebody here saying they rode a unicycle.

Is it hard to do? I'm in talks about possibly buying a used one that a woman bought and never used for $35.

I'm just curious if it's difficult...
When I was about ten years old I asked for a guitar but my parents knew buying me a guitar would also probably cost them guitar lessons and a lot of hauling me around to guitar lessons and stuff so they bought me a unicycle with the understanding that they'd buy me a guitar if I ever managed to learn how to ride that unicycle.

It took me one day to learn how to ride it.
I was able to jump up on to the thing to ride it (without holding onto anything for support) in about a week.

The hardest part about riding a unicycle is not the being being able to ride it. Its the fact that you can never coast on it.
You have to constantly be peddling, even down hill.

That, plus your "butt" can get really sore.
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

It's quite difficulty, and can be more dangerous than learning to ride a bike.
You have the potential to fall backward very quickly and hit your head. Wear
a helmet! In college, I frequently saw a guy riding his unicycle to class. He
rode up and down stairs and all over the place, so it has potential to be quite
a useful vehicle...
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Believe it or not they actually have such a thing as mountain unicycling. It's somewhat popular in our area and we have world-class super-scary trails that they make dare-devil commercial mountain bike movies on. I have no idea how on earth they go down hill on those things. You cannot coast and our trails are at 45 degree angles in some spots with lots of rocks.

A friend of mine has a bunch of unicycles. Every year he rides a super tall one in the Summer Solstice Parade wearing a jester costume and juggling.

How hard could it be if you can ride one in the mountains or while juggling in a parade? :lol:
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

fearfaoin wrote:He rode up and down stairs and all over the place, so it has potential to be quite a useful vehicle...
I hear they are making them with more of a suspension system built in but even with the bare bones model I had 4+ decades back one could bounce a bit if you knew the trick.

What my parents forgot when they thought they could buy time with a unicycle (wanting to postpone a need to provide me with guitar lessons) was that the preceeding four years of dancing school I'd had included lessons on acrobatics.
(I'd wanted Ballet lessons but the teacher my parents found for me was an old Vaudeville trooper. Had I carried on with it I'd gone "on point" all right, but with tap dancing taps on the tips of my toe shoes.)

I was also a bit young yet to fear falling. Kids that age think nothing of swinging in the trees and jumping off garage roofs.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

sbfluter wrote: How hard could it be if you can ride one in the mountains or while juggling in a parade? :lol:
I was at a Corky Siegel "Chamber Blues" concert a few months back and his featured guest was Howard Levy.

After Mr. Levy did what it is he does with Corky's sting section backing him,
Corky walked up to the microphone and mentioned that the night before "Howie" met with the string section at his house and they rehearsed.

While rehearsing the piece "Howie" had the printed music before him and he made notes on the score with his free hand while he was doing what it is he does on the harmonica.

Corky then commented that if one could do those two things at the same time, how difficult could it be?

Yeah, we all laughed.
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

sbfluter wrote:Believe it or not they actually have such a thing as mountain unicycling.
I work with a a guy who does that, and another that used to. One of them, Nathan (one of my company's founders), has been in a few movies. Here's the trailer for one worth watching whether you're into cycling or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DMC8_0Xpg

This one's fun too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_NLPF1Dx0&NR=1
William Bajzek
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My wife got me a unicycle about ten years ago, and I learned to ride it, and even gave people lessons. I never managed to juggle while on the unicycle (although I can juggle).

Yes, it's difficult. As Em says, you need something like a hallway or a disused corridor where you can practice with a minimum of horizontal impact.

But one of my "learn to ride a unicycle" books (well, I only got one) described a high-school class where they taught unicycle, and everyone learned how to ride one. Mutual support is good - if other people are learning with you.

I thought you were in a wheelchair, Cranberry. That would put a unicycle out of bounds.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I used to ride one to school every day in my younger years. I'd actually work on my homework while riding it down the bike path.

Been thinking of getting one again.

I agree with all of the above...tough to learn....brainlessly easy once mastered. One day it will just click. Your spine and the cycle need to form sort of a "C" or maybe a "V" sideways...anyway, you get the idea. Don't try to sit straight up on the thing.

They're fun and great exercise (no coasting).

Go to http://unicycle.com/Gateway.asp

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Ctrl Alt Del

Post by Ctrl Alt Del »

monkey587 wrote:
sbfluter wrote:Believe it or not they actually have such a thing as mountain unicycling.
I work with a a guy who does that, and another that used to. One of them, Nathan (one of my company's founders), has been in a few movies. Here's the trailer for one worth watching whether you're into cycling or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DMC8_0Xpg

This one's fun too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_NLPF1Dx0&NR=1
Awesome video. Awesome locations. Just reminds me that cycling is a great excuse for seeing the world.
I find that I need rebooting every now and then!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

When my father and his brothers were young, they built a unicycle from old bicycle parts, and he learned to ride it.
Reasonable person
Walden
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I learned to ride a cheap one with a solid rubber tire as a kid after thousands of graceless dismounts. It had a 16-inch wheel but 20-24-inchers are easier -likely from better gyroscopic stability and inflatable tires.

-Unicycles don't seem to change much but seeing flaming baton jugglers atop the high-extension chain-drive types is a kick.
-Advances in Pogo-Sticking, OTOH, are incredible:
http://www.flybar.com/pages/flybar1200.html
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote: I thought you were in a wheelchair, Cranberry. That would put a unicycle out of bounds.
maybe he wants to get a uniwheelchair..use your hands to do the pedaling..

don't stop short...and if you do...wear a helmet!!

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti