Totally OT-- scotch

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Alrighty all you scotch drinkers out there... help me out please! ::grin:: I've decided to give scotch a whirl, and have a bottle of Dewar's sitting on my counter. Now what do I do? :wink: Seriously, do I mix it with water, straight up, or on the rocks? Is there a particular way that's good for a newbie?

Curious minds want to know,
Andrea ~*~
the-newbie-scotch-drinking-cutie-meldy-pie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn on 2002-11-27 19:24 ]</font>
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't drink Scotch myself, but my husband and father-in-law, both single-malt enthusiasts, insist the only way to drink good Scotch is either straight up, or with a little water (not soda) on the rocks.

Redwolf
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Thanks, Redwolf! I'll go give it a shot...no pun intended. :razz: I'll let you know!

Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
MandoPaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MandoPaul »

Take the Dewar's and see how much of a trade-in you get on a single malt. :smile:

Dewar's isn't bad for blended scotch but single scotch is distinctly different. I tend to do Dewar's with a small splash of water (5 to 1).

Macallan 12 year old isn't my favorite but it's easy to find, not insanely expensive and a pretty easy introduction.

For a bit more, Dalwhinnie or Glenmorangie aren't hard to find.

A cheaper way to go is mini-bottles. There is a set of 6 scotches in mini-bottles called (I think) the Classic Malts collection. It has Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Talisker, Oban, Glenkinchie, and Cragganmore. It's something like $30 and while there are better of some/all of the styles, for the price of one bottle of scotch, you get a good taste of all the representative styles.
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

On 2002-11-27 19:45, aderyn wrote:
I'll go give it a shot
I'll let you know!
Hmm, I'm just imagining that post......

Well, shfajo, heioofio hoefoi!!!
gurmpy heffer pals!! weee!!!! :grin:
aljkdfjqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Well, I'm still capable of typing... :razz: It was okay. Maybe I'll try Paul's suggestion and go with a single malt and see if I like that any better. :wink:

Andrea ~*~
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe in Abelour--yes, single malt
is the best. Straight on the rocks
or you take a glass of cold water
and you take a sip of scotch
followed by a sip of water....

'For malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.'
A. E. Houseman
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Just don't mix it with Ginger Ale! Whateveryado!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

You know you are cultivating an appreciation for what is called "the waters of life" ?

Actually all the scotch lovers I've known(25yrs of associating with Skye Terrier enthusiasts and pipe band members...that's a lot) do not dilute it at all.

As a winery owner, I prefer the fruit of the vine myself.

Had to edit, I forgot to mention, that if you have not done so, you need to read "Proof" by Dick Francis. I learned more about single and double malt scotch than I ever wanted to know. It's my favorite of his books.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cowtime on 2002-11-27 20:35 ]</font>
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Cowtime, I rather enjoy the fruit of the vine meself but I thought I'd try to broaden my horizons a bit. :smile: How fun that you are a winery owner!! Thanks for the book tip-- can't ever have too many books! :grin:

All the best,
Andrea ~*~
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I haven't had blended Scotch in ages. I usually recommend The Macallan 12 year old for beginning Scotch drinkers. My personal favorites are Lagavulin and Laphroaig, but they are ... uhhhh .... extremely flavorful and not to everyone's taste. I usually take it neat, sometimes with a splash of plain water, no ice.

Have you tried Irish whiskey? It's somewhat similar to Scotch but without the peat smoke taste.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Take the scotch and pour it down the sink it's great to clean drains. Then get yourself a good bottle of Irish. Look for Red Breast, tis what the saints drink in heaven
johnz

Post by johnz »

For a real easy intro into scotch I'd recommend Johnnie Walker Black Label. It's very easy to drink, and not too intense, although it also doesn't have the character that single malts have. For a first single malt I'd also recommend The Macallan, it's pretty sweet, and doesn't have a heavy alcohol taste. I never drink scotch with ice.When drinks are chilled it really kills the flavor, beer is also better when served at cellar temp, if it doesn't taste good warm, it doesn't taste good, pour it out and get a real beer.
Take care, Johnz
DON'T DRINK SOAP!
KEEP OUT OF EYE!
DILUTE! DILUTE!
OK!
sturob

Post by sturob »

Mmmmm. Oban and Glenfarclas are excellent.

Single-malt is the way to go.

Stuart
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I have never had a bootle of single malt that I did not like in one or many ways. They are all different and all enjoyable. I can't say the same for blended.

I just so happen to have a bottle of Glenrothes from Speyside at the moment. To bad I can't pour a round through the net.

For the true fans of single malts, or the art book collector, you might want to keep an eye out for a book by Ralph Steadman. Hunter S. Thompson readers know who I'm talking about. Titled "Still Life with Bottle" It's a dead give away for a gift. 'winks'