as slow as i can

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

as slow as i can

Post by rama »

something mike rafferty said while introducing a tune on the cce website videos: "i'll try to play this one as slow as i can."
i introduced this concept to the fiddler i was playing with at our monthly ceili dance. she said the dancers like it fast. i suggested we see how slow yet lively we can make it, instead of how fast and rushed we can. man what a difference! mike rafferty is a frreakin' genius!
next time you play with 'fast' friends, test it out.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

rama - do you mean playing fast tunes in a more musically way, like say Martin Hayes?
or slow motion?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

eilam wrote:rama - do you mean playing fast tunes in a more musically way, like say Martin Hayes?
or slow motion?
Good question. I like playing slowly for artistic purposes. But OTOH, there are counter-examples: the pace of playing "advanced" hornpipes for stepdancers is excruciatingly glacial. The only thing that ever kept me from tearing at my wrists with my teeth to end the suffering was that my hands were holding the flute and my mouth was at the embouchure.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

just so happpens a new video is up on the cce of mike rafferty.
http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhal ... ish_flute/

it's not the video i was originally referring to, but i think it conveys the message. he demonstrates far better than i ever could, or could describe in words. no rush job here.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

This topic immediately reminds me of Laurence Nugent, one of the kings of slow reels and jigs. Unfortunately I can't find any video of him playing :(

It's been 8 long years now since the release of Windy Gap. We miss ya Larry.......

Loren
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

That's a lovely clip, the Lilting Banshee. It's got that lightness, that lift. If everybody who likes to play fast would slow down and put that lightness in instead, the music would have more life and soul than all the technical brilliance could possibly add.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote:This topic immediately reminds me of Laurence Nugent, one of the kings of slow reels and jigs. Unfortunately I can't find any video of him playing :(

It's been 8 long years now since the release of Windy Gap. We miss ya Larry.......

Loren
Man. I'll never forget the time when "The Nuge" was sitting in at a local session and he started in on Sally Gardens as a slow reel. Now, Sally Gardens from the get-go has never been a personal favorite of mine, slow or fast, but Larry gave it a life and a beauty I'd never heard before, and a dignity that I'd never have thought was inherent in the tune. Can't quite put my finger on what the difference was; it wasn't particularly heavy with ornamentation. I'd love to hear it again, if for nothing more than the novelty of the experience, and, maybe, to learn something.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Larry is amazing; a musician's musician. He was at the Tionol in St. Louis last spring, and getting to hear him in sessions was a treat (though sitting next to him was terrifying :oops:).

I hope he records something again, and soon.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Dana

Post by Dana »

rama wrote:just so happpens a new video is up on the cce of mike rafferty.
'Just loved it! I'm hearing and enjoying the actual music, rather than just listening to technical prowess (i.e. someone showing off their lightning-fast fingers).

I want more... Who else plays like this?

Dana
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

... and mimcgann says ....

(just guessing that he'll HAVE to post a couple names, here :-))

If he doesn't, I'll post 'em a little later.
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

Oops. Caught lurking! (Hi, Cat!)

Well, there is the other Master from Galway, Jack Coen, who has 3 cds--I think WARMING UP has been reissued.

Also, another favorite, shared with Cat, is Paul Smyth, who has a recording out called UP AND AWAY.

Steady and lively, without sacrificing melody to speed.

Mmmmmmm!
Cathy Wilde wrote:... and mimcgann says ....

(just guessing that he'll HAVE to post a couple names, here :-))

If he doesn't, I'll post 'em a little later.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Rafferty's music is lovely. Thanks for posting.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I second mimcgann! (good to hear you! :-) )

I also think PJ Crotty & the Cullinans' CD, "Happy to Meet," is a gem. It's a little quicker, more of a slow lope than a trot, but not too much, and it's lovely lively music.

Also in my "moving into a canter/hand gallop but my ear can still keep up ... plus it's such great music I can listen all day" category are John Lee and Seamus McGuire's "The Missing Reel;" the very first Cherish the Ladies (way before Joanie) recordings from Outlet Records; Dave Sheridan's "Sheridan's Guesthouse;" Michael Clarkson's "The Far Set;" Alan & John Kelly's "Fourmile House," a fair amount of John Wynne & Kevin Crawford & John Skelton/Kieran O'Hare's stuff, and of course, anything played by my faves, the Mulcahy family (tho' Mr McG will disagree with me on this one, I fear).

These are the ones at the top of my heap that have flute players in them somewhere.

Meanwhile, my favorite listening of late is Angelina Carberry's teaching recordings. I bop around to even her snail's pace versions ... awesome. I wanna play like THAT. Thanks, Arbo!
daiv

Post by daiv »

Dana wrote:
rama wrote:just so happpens a new video is up on the cce of mike rafferty.
'Just loved it! I'm hearing and enjoying the actual music, rather than just listening to technical prowess (i.e. someone showing off their lightning-fast fingers).

I want more... Who else plays like this?

Dana
http://www.kittylieover.com/

( a video of them playing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNhkRQB6rwg&feature=related )

and

http://www.theyllbegoodyet.com/

(a video of them playing : http://youtube.com/watch?v=KpcM6LEeon4 )