Lucky me!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sbfluter

Lucky me!

Post by sbfluter »

I got a low whistle for my birthday! :party: A Tony Dixon. I really like it. I think it has a lovely tone. It's so mellow. I can play it without bothering people when I don't feel like playing my flute. I have never had a low whistle before.

I think I have too many whistles and flutes now. :oops: I also got a Native American flute for my birthday too! I think I have 15 flutes and whistles now.

So how do you keep from dropping the low whistle? It's a lot bigger than I expected. I guess I can rest it on my leg if I'm sitting down. Seems to take more air than a flute, too, at least on the upper octave.

It's very exciting!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Deathtrap
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Deathtrap »

Congratz! I wish i could have a low whistle on B-day :x
Which dixon low D do you have?

I have the cheapest black plastic one on which the air requirement is super low...

Resting it on the leg with the end of the tube? I guess it would that hinder the air movement (thus the note)?
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Just get a piece of thick double sided tape, or foam tape, and tape it across the bottom of the whistle just above where your right thumb goes. It can sort of hang off of the thumb. It really makes it a lot easier to hold onto while you are learning to use it. Or, you could just stick with it.
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

If you sound like your flute; you ROCK! Well done sweetheart!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Lucky me!

Post by pancelticpiper »

sbfluter wrote: So how do you keep from dropping the low whistle? It's a lot bigger than I expected. I guess I can rest it on my leg if I'm sitting down. Seems to take more air than a flute, too, at least on the upper octave.
Yep I've experienced both of these things.
About holding the whistle, check out the thread awhile back started by MT Guru about a thumb sling thingy he came up with. I, instead, went to a normal music shop and bought a sax neck strap thing. It has a plastic clip which is intended to clip onto a ring the sax has, but I just clip it onto the bottom of the whistle tube. It works great: I can relax my hands rather than having to maintain tension just holding up the thing.
About the wind requirements, yes, it seems that low D whistles are just never as air-efficient as a D flute. The flute takes less air and puts out more sound, it's just the way it is. I'm having to get used to this because I've switched to low D whistle after around 30 years of playing Irish flute.
MTGuru

Re: Lucky me!

Post by MTGuru »

pancelticpiper wrote:
sbfluter wrote: So how do you keep from dropping the low whistle? It's a lot bigger than I expected. I guess I can rest it on my leg if I'm sitting down. Seems to take more air than a flute, too, at least on the upper octave.

About holding the whistle, check out the thread awhile back started by MT Guru about a thumb sling thingy he came up with.
Here you go, Diane:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=56767

Congrats on the whistle!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
taity
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by taity »

i have had the dixon low whistle for about a month and in a few days it feels beter than my small high d ones only problem with that is a tend to play the low d or the low f 99% of the time

tunes i love on the low d or low f are sally gardens and inisheer foggy dew is nice as well
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Yes, the challenge now is I will have to learn airs. I think that's what low whistles do best. Sigh. I'm musically challenged in that department.

Thanks for the suggestions for a strap-on of some sort. I'll figure something out. On my flute I hold it with my right little finger, but my right little finger can't reach in this position. This position is also a little hard on my wrists.

It's a Tony Dixon tunable (which apparently simply means you can pull the head off). It's an aluminum tube with a black plastic head. Simple materials but a lovely sound. I don't sound like my flute, though. I'm much too slow on this whistle.

People who wonder if transition from low whistle to flute will be difficult are already playing the more difficult instrument of the two!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird