Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks Michael.
I seem to have trouble downloading the dots? Any suggestions? I am using a Mac.

Here's a fun polka that I learned off of a Danu cd.

http://www.box.net/shared/o0hk4l3k8k
a kerry polka

Arbo
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Try ctrl clicking the image
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

ImNotIrish wrote:Thanks Michael.
I seem to have trouble downloading the dots? Any suggestions? I am using a Mac.
I'm on a Mac and control-click or right-click gives a menu that allows you to open in a new window or save to disk.

Great tune(s), Michael.

I'm not sure I'd heard Hag at the Churn done on the flute (outside of my living room). I'll try to record it myself this weekend. It's a tune I've never been satisfied with; maybe y'all can give me a few pointers, especially about places to breathe.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Re: The Monaghan Jig

Those who haven't heard it should listen to it right now.

Well done, Rob. As usual. Your tone is clear and gorgeous and your rhythm is impeccable. I loved hearing you play this tune. That said, I do wish the guitar were a bit more Cahill like. More restrained and the chords not so full. I'd have preferred less guitar and more flute. But that's just my taste. I also prefer the jig played as a more delicate, haunting piece of music rather than the forceful (set-danceable) interpretation offered. But there is no doubting that the level of accomplishment is very high.
This clip makes everything that Rob says about posting clips and playing the flute more convincing. Rob is a wonderful flute player and an excellent musician. He does the walk and not just the talk.
Thanks, Rob.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
connie

Post by connie »

here's a reel I like to play alot, although I don't here it that much at sessions. Anyone no the name of it I think its a great flute tune. This recording I've done has few wobbly bits in it. After trying to record a third time I gave up and just uploaded it:-)

http://www.box.net/shared/hs0j8u10go

Also Rob, well done on That Monaghan Jig recording I like it alot. I like that kind of backing too (for recording or a mic'd up gig). For acoustic sessions though I also (like cocus mentioned) would probably have a preference for a quieter style backing.
PatC.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

connie wrote:here's a reel I like to play alot, although I don't here it that much at sessions. Anyone no the name of it I think its a great flute tune. This recording I've done has few wobbly bits in it. After trying to record a third time I gave up and just uploaded it:-)

I believe this tune is called the Torn Jacket. It is a different setting that I am familiar with. Lovely playing and great sound. I know what you mean about giving up after several takes!

Arbo
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

connie wrote:here's a reel I like to play alot, although I don't here it that much at sessions. Anyone no the name of it I think its a great flute tune. This recording I've done has few wobbly bits in it. After trying to record a third time I gave up and just uploaded it:-)

nice to hear from you connie! uuuu... lovely tone, good job. it's nice to put a name with a soundbyte. keep'em coming!
connie

Post by connie »

Thx guys my tone frustrates me it varies alot from day to day. I'm trying to find about half an hour a day to work on it to see can I make it more consistant. For the last few years I usually pick the flute for 5 mins here and there or maybe a longer period once a or twice a week.

I'm hoping playing more regularly for 20-30mins once a day will help it improve. I think in my case its more a case of the embouchure muscles getting tired rather than a lack of ability to play a good tone.

Or maybe its a more a case of a bad embouchure causing the muscles to tire.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Michael, it sounds really different when there's backing. You're good anyway, but the backing really makes it sound great.

I'm trying to learn a little backing myself. Well, maybe not really backing. I'm trying to learn a stringed instrument. I think it'll take me way longer than learning the flute itself to learn backing. It's hard. But maybe it'll improve my flute clips if I just put some light strumming in the background or something.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Thanks Diane,

Have fun on the strings. What's the instrument. I play a little guitar, but it's a cheap guitar. Sounds good to my inexperienced ears, but....

Did you get a low d whistle? Happy Birthday, by the way.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

I've been recording some flute on an album with my band called Skelpaig. It's been hard work as I have only been playing for a couple of years. I got six keys added last Christmas and they've come in handy, especially with the fiddle tunes.

Just click "Neil's Wee Tune" in the player.

David
For those who like fusion... http://www.moonzieallstars.com/
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Roma
Just listened to the Bb Grintner recordings. Not over keen on the playing of Blind Mary,I've heard it played on a Piccolo by a friend Jim Gornell and on button box by Eugeen Teavan. They both give it more lift in the phrasing but I think this could be tricky on a Bb.
The others were great. Gems for me were Navvy on the line and the morning thrush.
More power to your embouchre

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

David,

I couldn't find any tunes on the website.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Jayhawk wrote:Am I the only person using Audacity to record their clips? Anyone else using Audacity have similar problems?

The box.net support folks told me that maybe the file wasn't really and MP3...but it is an MP3 file and the properties are the same as the MP3s I move over to my wifes MP3 player and my phone (which also only accepts MP3 files).

Oh well - it's safe to play in Windows Media Player...I promise.

Eric
I've used Audacity for the only tune I've uploaded here.Same problem as yours. I think it would be worth checking that you have the latest version of the LAME encoder which you need to locate for audacity to use. It's a free download. I think you can search for it in audacity help and it will point you to the download site.
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

I changed the link to point to the actual file to save compatibility issues.

If any one knows how to get the player to work properly with macs let me know.

David
For those who like fusion... http://www.moonzieallstars.com/