Are Shoulders the new prostate?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Are Shoulders the new prostate?

Post by dwinterfield »

A week ago, I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. All seems to be going well and, while I have some complaints, they're all routine.

What I've discovered is that everyone I talk to about it, doesn't know one person who's had it or will have it, they know several. 10 yrs ago it was a much more difficult operation and I suspect that, until recently, most people just suffered with shoulder pain and ate lots of aspirin.

I know that some suspect that the increase in prostate cancer is a function of increased male longevity. If men live long enough, they'l eventually get it.

I wonder if the ready availability of arthroscopic surgery will lead to an explosion in shoulder repairs? and knees too?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

My right shoulder is currently encased in a web of sport/surgical tape after my physio yesterday. It's been giving me hell for a year and I've finally been forced to get help.

This physio is part of an assessment program that will also involve x-ray and ultrasound.

Just hoping it doesn't need surgery.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

What exactly do they do?

Walking around the pool last week I saw several of the shoulder scars, but only on men.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

In Japan, frozen shoulder is commonly known as gojukata, or "fifty-year-old shoulder".
there is no end to the walking
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I.D.10-t wrote:What exactly do they do?
A frequent early symptom is shoulder pain while sleeping. This was the major symptom of rotator cuff tendonitis for me 12 yrs ago when it resolved with NSAIDs, physical therapy and electric stimulation.

It came back last April or so. I tried to ignore it for several months. The symptoms - pain and limited range of motion - were much worse. Finally went to a doc (rhumotology) and tried all that stuff again. Didn't work this time. January MRI showed a fully torn supraspinatus tendon. That's the one that forms the top of the rotator cuff.

20 yrs ago, if they did surgery at all, it would have involved a large incision across the top of the shoulder, cutting through lots of muscle, to get to the tendon to reattach it to the top of the humerus. Very invasive -long recovery.

With arthroscopic surgery, I had 4 small (1/2 inch) incisions on the front, back, and top of the shoulder. General anesthsia. Tiny tools with lights, cameras, saws etc. are inserted and the doc installs small anchors on the humerus, pulls the tendon back in place and sutures it to the anchors. He aslo shaved down some bone spurs to give the joint more room to work freely. He does all this looking at the inside of my shoulder on a big screen tv. sort of like a video game.

Total time in hospital = 8 hrs. Out of work, no driving, many pain pills for seven days and counting. Big cumbersome pillow-sling makes everything awkward. I'll see the doc for the 1st post-op visit in a cuople of hours.

That's enough left-handed 1 finger typing for now.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I had multiple dislocations of one shoulder. I finally had it scoped about 8 years ago. The procedure I had was brand-new; it involved heating up the ligament capsule that surrounds the ball-and-socket. I waited 20 years to have it done. My sister had a similar problem and was operated on in about 1970. She has a 6" scar, had her arm immobilized for six weeks after the surgery, and has maybe 50% range of motion. I had the three or four one-stitch incisions, wore a sling much of the time for three weeks, and have full range of motion.

I had my knee scoped for cartilage about ten years ago. That procedure was nothing new, but I'm still impressed with the recovery. I limped for three or four days, was back running within three weeks, feeling better than I had for the better part of a year. My father tore cartilage, probably mid-70's. The layed his knee open and took out most of the cartilage. Recovery was the better part of six months and he really needs a new knee now. I dunno if he'll go through with it, though.

To borrow from Paul Simon, these really are the days of miracle and wonder. If I'd been born 20-30 years earlier, I'd likely be crippled by age 50. If I'd been born 100 years earlier, I'd undoubtedly be dead after a bout with bacterial pneumonia a few years ago.

The doctors and procedures are great, but I also want to put in a good word for physical therapists. I think if my sister had had the extensive PT that I had, she'd at least be better off than she is now.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

My wife is in the late stages of recovering from surgery shoulder she had last August. I've seen orthopedic surgeons hold public "seminars" on shoulder surgery. Something seems to be going on.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

The shoulder is I think the weakest joint on your body. The humerus is just floating in the joint and is held in place by tendons and muscles. So, it's easily damaged. Mine was screwed up in a car accident with an uninsured drunk driver a few years ago. Luckily I was fixed up by a cortisone shot and physical therapy.

The therapist told me that one common source of injuries is older guys going out to throw a ball. If they haven't been throwing a lot or doing other types of upper body exercises, their muscles are probably stronger on the back than the front. (that may be reversed) They go out to throw a ball and use their full force, the apply more force on the joint on one side and can damage the joint.

So, us couch potatos should warm up and go slow when tossing the pigskin.

Now that you can do the surgery with a faster recovery time, less damage done to the patient, and for less, more folks can have it done for less serious injuries. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if more hospitals/doctors are pushing when it's not strictly necessary.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

To inject a wee bit of humor into the discussion, a couple years ago I injured my shoulder by falling off my bed in the middle of the night. Before you laugh too loudly at my misfortune, let me explain how it happened. I had read in the health magazines that it was important to orient your bed so that your head would be facing north, aligning your body with the earth's magnetic field. The only problem that I had with this was that with this orientation the head of my bed was in the center of the room. Naturally, I didn't have a headboard on the bed, either. As you can imagine, the situation was all set for the disaster that was about to happen.

Coming back to the bedroom in darkness of the night, I sat down on the bed too close to the head of the bed. When I tried to lay my head down, it was over the top of the mattress, and I tumbled over the head of the bed and landed on my shoulder. When I got up in the morning, my shoulder was killing me. After X-rays and an MRI @ $1,500 I received the good news that nothing was broken or torn, only bruised. I didn't realize how much I depended on being able to use my shoulder for everyday tasks, such as putting on my shoes, etc. I am happy to say that my shoulder has recovered completely, and I am without any shoulder pain or restriction of movement. I remember my doctor telling me that the shoulder was the most complicated joint in the body, with the jaw being a close second.

I am not the kind of fool that doesn't learn from some of my mistakes. It goes without saying that the head of my bed was pushed against the wall so that the same accident couldn't happen again. And, folks, to tell you the truth, I didn't noticed any difference having my head pointing toward the East when I slept.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Dale wrote:I've seen orthopedic surgeons hold public "seminars" on shoulder surgery. Something seems to be going on.
You mean like the LASIK eye surgery "come see if you qualify" seminars? Interesting...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Guess I better find a local House of Power to help keep my shoulder mobility in tip top condition.

I have been waiting for an excuse to post that youtube video.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

well! dis da place for it! :o
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Doug_Tipple wrote:To inject a wee bit of humor into the discussion, a couple years ago I injured my shoulder by falling off my bed in the middle of the night. Before you laugh too loudly at my misfortune, let me explain how it happened. I had read in the health magazines that it was important to orient your bed so that your head would be facing north, aligning your body with the earth's magnetic field. The only problem that I had with this was that with this orientation the head of my bed was in the center of the room. Naturally, I didn't have a headboard on the bed, either. As you can imagine, the situation was all set for the disaster that was about to happen.

Coming back to the bedroom in darkness of the night, I sat down on the bed too close to the head of the bed. When I tried to lay my head down, it was over the top of the mattress, and I tumbled over the head of the bed and landed on my shoulder. When I got up in the morning, my shoulder was killing me. After X-rays and an MRI @ $1,500 I received the good news that nothing was broken or torn, only bruised. I didn't realize how much I depended on being able to use my shoulder for everyday tasks, such as putting on my shoes, etc. I am happy to say that my shoulder has recovered completely, and I am without any shoulder pain or restriction of movement. I remember my doctor telling me that the shoulder was the most complicated joint in the body, with the jaw being a close second.

I am not the kind of fool that doesn't learn from some of my mistakes. It goes without saying that the head of my bed was pushed against the wall so that the same accident couldn't happen again. And, folks, to tell you the truth, I didn't noticed any difference having my head pointing toward the East when I slept.
That from reading health mags? Oy vey... Stay clear of Feng Shui books, Doug...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

buddhu wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:To inject a wee bit of humor into the discussion, a couple years ago I injured my shoulder by falling off my bed in the middle of the night. Before you laugh too loudly at my misfortune, let me explain how it happened. I had read in the health magazines that it was important to orient your bed so that your head would be facing north, aligning your body with the earth's magnetic field. The only problem that I had with this was that with this orientation the head of my bed was in the center of the room. Naturally, I didn't have a headboard on the bed, either. As you can imagine, the situation was all set for the disaster that was about to happen.

That from reading health mags? Oy vey... Stay clear of Feng Shui books, Doug...
:lol:

If the shoulder is the new prostate then I'd imagine shoulder massage has become a big business.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

"The new prostates" is a better band name than even "the new bob dylans". Although that, too, is an excellent band name.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis