small dog breeds/dogs suitable for an apartment (update p 6)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

small dog breeds/dogs suitable for an apartment (update p 6)

Post by Jack »

I'm in the very beginning stages of doing research about getting a dog. If I get a dog, it won't be until later this year at the earliest.

I thought I'd ask around, including on C&F. How many people here have small dog breeds? Do you have any reccomendations for me? I live alone, in an apartment, and I have small animals (rats, a snake, birds, and a fish tank).

I'm looking for a dog that is a good companion but not crazy-active like Jack Russell Terriers (I just recently learned that Jack Russell Terriers are on speed).
Last edited by Jack on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Well, big tough-guy that I am, I needed a dog that would fit my personality. Fiona is a bishon/cocker mix (meaning she's cute as heck).

As a breed, they don't bark much, are kind of lazy, but from all that I've seen (know a few folks with the same breed) they are fairly demanding of attention at times (when she wants a belly rub, she's NOT asking). In all, she's a great companion, and when I had ferrets, she was not agressive to them at all (the breed seems to get along with cats well too). Oh yeah, no shedding.

Ok, so she's not a tough dog after all. Bah...I'm still tough.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Hmmm... dog breed recommendation... small dog, good companion...hmmm...

* clears throat, cuts eyes toward avatar *

However, most dogs, regardless of breed personality, will not do very well cooped up in an apartment alone most of the day. It's a pack-animal thing. For apartment dwellers, a cat is a far better choice. Just sayin'.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Post by HDSarah »

Some small breeds are highly active, and some large breeds are really laid-back. And, any single individual of any breed can be atypical of his or her breed. The most lethargic, couch-potato dog I've ever known was an enormous thing -- some sort of mastiff; I forget which kind. And some of the most hyperactive have been itty bitty things (many breeds of terrier are very active, as well as tenacious, little guys -- probably not a good choice if you have other small animals in the house).

So, focus your search on activity level, not necessarily size. A very mellow medium-to-large size dog can live in an apartment happily.

A good idea is to contact a local dog rescue organization. Rescues are even better than your local public animal shelter because they spend longer with the dog and can give you a better idea of what that dog is really like. (I do foster care for my local Golden Retriever Rescue. And as wonderful as goldens are, you don't need a retriever, especially a young one -- they are typically high energy dogs who need plenty of people-time.) If you aren't around home a lot, you'll want to go with an adult dog, because to raise a puppy you need to be there often for housebreaking and training.

Good luck! I hope you find the perfect dog for you. I know I love coming home to a greeting from my dog -- when the world has you down, your dog still thinks you are the king of the universe. :)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

While you are in school and working I don't know that I would recommend that you get a dog. Right now you may not have the time to give the attention that a dog needs.(They require a lot if they are to be good canine citizens). This should be the first consideration. They tend to get into trouble when left to their own amusement over extended periods of time, particularly if they are young and full of themselves. Also if properly cared for, there is a bit of expense to keeping a dog that is healthy, not even counting if health problems arise.

If you decide that you can provide proper care and socialization I would start by reading the AKC Dog Book. That will help you narrow your research down to dogs that appeal to you. Even if you go for a mix, knowing about the dogs in the mix can be very helpful in the decision. Keep in mind what the dog has been bred to do- what job is it suited for? In your case, I'd forget any terrier or any mix with terrier in there. Their original primary purpose in life was to get rid of vermin. That is still in them. It would be asking a bit much to suppose that any self respecting terrier would live in harmony with a rat or snake. Not impossible but the odds are against it.

Once you've narrowed it down to a few breeds, write the national parent club for more information. Every breed has one- check with the AKC site for contact addresses. They should be very honest with you about the pros and cons of their breed.

Do you want a puppy or adult? Puppies take much more time and money and work. Are you up to that? Adults and older pups can sometimes come with problems, or not. You will know what you are getting with less guess work as to temperament , health and size.

Do you like to fool with coat and grooming? These are big factors with some breeds.

Be sure that whatever dog you choose has a temperament suited to your own. Are you easily swayed and not determined to get your way? Then don't get a strong willed breed.

Don't look at only small dogs because you are in an apartment. Some small dogs require a lot of exercise.(yes, you are right about JRTs- they are high energy dogs) Some medium and larger dogs require less.

And do consider a rescue from the pound or humane society if you are not set on a purebred. Oh, and if you go purebred, stay very very far away from pet stores(puppy mills are horrible places) or backyard breeders. The odds of you getting a good healthy example of any breed from these two sources are pretty small. The odds of paying inflated prices for a dog who is only a source of cash for the seller very great. If you are put through the "third degree" , and they may decide to not sell you the dog, you've found a good ethical breeder.

If you get ready to go look at puppies let me know and I'll tell you some easy tests to do to determine basic temperament. Again, finding a dog that matches you temperament-wise is a big part of finding the right dog for you. With adults it's easier and some shelters do temperament testing before putting the dogs up for adoption so it is easier.

Read everything you can get your hands on about training and living with a dog. The more you know, the better companions you will be. Dogs are quite smart enough to train YOU (and this is usually not good for either of you).

I'm happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability. I spent many years as a vet tech and breeding and showing my own dogs . All that stuff clouding up my brain should be put to use now and again...
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If you're really looking for companionship, take the really big step and get a roommate or a boyfriend.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

mutepointe wrote:If you're really looking for companionship, take the really big step and get a roommate or a boyfriend.
Let me tackle this one:

Roommates SUCK. Boyfriends are WORK.

Dogs? That's love.

See the difference?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Cavailer King Charles Spaniel

My wife is veterinarian and I run a boarding kennel and it's the only little dog we can both agree on. There are others I'm sure but that one is pretty nice.

Only drawback is the hair--it needs a bit of constant grooming attention. But you can have a groomer trim it shortish and reduce the daily care needed.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

cowtime's advice is good and all, but I assumed you were looking for names.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

What Cowtime said.

Looking at it from the dog's point of view, it might be good to discuss the pet-acquisition thing with a counselor. The animal shelter can possibly recommend one. They could help you understand if it's really a dog you need, if a dog will be compatible with your other pets, and if you have the resources to take care of one.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Cranberry - remember a dog will need to be walked and fed and cleaned up after every day - even when you have a bad spell and can barely drag yourself around. Snakes and fish can be ignored for a while and they are fine - not so with dogs or cats.

Make sure your landlord allows dogs. This sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people buy a dog then bring it back for a refund a few days later because "my landlord won't allow dogs." The pet store I work at has started charging a 20% restocking fee if a healthy dog is returned just because the landlord won't allow animals. One other pet store in town has a sign up saying they don't give refunds for "mean landlords". Don't do like you did with the animals in your dorm and try to sneak it in. You will be caught.
Charlene
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

All I can say, as a long-time poodle owner, is that, much as I love them, I DON'T recommend poodles for first-time dog owners. They are so smart, they wrap novice owners around their poodly little toes and become absolute horrors. A poodle takes an experienced handler who isn't fooled by those innocent-looking brown eyes...someone who will give the dog a job to do to occupy his busy brain (as well as LOTS of exercise!). The reason poodles have such a bad rep is they're so often acquired by entirely the wrong sort of dog owner...they were designed to slog through the mud after ducks, leap small buildings in a single bound, and figure how to outwit border guards, not to sit on a satin pillow.

One reasonably good dog for a first-time owner is the Shih Tzu. I used to call them the Golden Retrievers of the lap dog world...very mellow (once past puppy hood) and adaptable. Someone else mentioned a Cav...they're also pretty nice first dogs.

Do take to heart the admonishment that a dog really must be trained, walked a couple of times a day, played with and groomed, regardless of how you're feeling on any given day. As pets go, they're high maintenance. If you can't be at home with the dog a lot, or if you can't take the dog with you most of the time, you should get two dogs, or a dog and a cat. They are pack animals, and don't do well spending a lot of time alone.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

flynnieous

Greyhounds

Post by flynnieous »

Greyhounds are also known as 60 mile an hour couch potatos. I know a number who sleep all day in apartments here in Chicago. They are truly loving beasties.

There are also an awful lot of them looking for homes. Google "greyhound rescue" to learn more about them.
Matt Flynn
Chicago, IL
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Greyhounds

Post by Redwolf »

flynnieous wrote:Greyhounds are also known as 60 mile an hour couch potatos. I know a number who sleep all day in apartments here in Chicago. They are truly loving beasties.

There are also an awful lot of them looking for homes. Google "greyhound rescue" to learn more about them.
They are lovely, and yes...their exercise requirements are considerably less than one might think. But they do need to open up and run at least a couple of times a week, which means that, if nothing else, you need access to a fairly large dog park.

I was interested in adopting a grey for a while, so I did a lot of research on the breed.

Redwofl
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!