Words that don't mean anything...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Redwolf wrote:One of my favorites is "wheat bread." They're trying to give the impression that the bread is made of unrefined whole wheat flour (which it's not, unless the word "whole" is in the title...your typical "wheat" bread is simply white bread with some caramel coloring added to make it look healthy), but it must work...apparently because a lot of buyers don't stop to think that every single loaf of bread on that supermarket shelf, be it white, brown, pumpernickel, etc., is made of wheat!

Redwolf
Excuse me, but pumpernickel (for example) is mostly rye. I hear that in America you have "corn" bread, which is made from maize. And there are some (repulsive) gluten-free breads, which are made from stuff such as potatoes.
hyldemoer already covered the rye, so I'll just mention that "corn bread" is not something that's typically sold on the bread aisle. It's actually more of a cake, though not typically as sweet. You eat it in wedges or chunks, or crumbled over a bowl of chili or the like, and you'd never be able to make a sandwich from it. It's also sometimes called "Johnny Cake" or "Corn Pone."

There's also "corn meal muffins," which are essentially corn bread cooked in muffin tins.

You can sometimes buy it ready made, but as it's best fresh, most people make their own, either from scratch or from a mix.

Sounds good right at the moment, actually. I may need to make some later!

In any case, my point was that people are led to believe that "wheat" bread is somehow healthier than the ordinary white sandwich bread next to it on the shelf, or the sourdough the next shelf over, when in fact it's just white bread with a little coloring added back in. They see brownish bread labeled "wheat bread" and assume that means "whole wheat."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

My tongue is part of my body and it sure can tell the difference between sugar and that nasty corn syrup stuff. Blech! I hate that stuff.

I work in marketing, despite all my best attempts not to. I really want to be in engineering but I keep ending up in marketing. I should have gotten a better education. Anyway, it pains me greatly the stuff I'm forced to produce. The most annoying words ever to this web developer? "Learn More". That's code for "Click here for more marketing BS".
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Corinthian leather seats.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Oh... and what is lovingly handcrafted?

While we're at it, I was always annoyed by the product that claims to get your dishes "virtually spotless." What is virtual spotlessness? Is it spotlessness that only appears to be that way? It has invisible spots.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Steve S. wrote:If you have a cup of tea in the café on a Britanny Ferries ship you get a nasty little teabag with a long string and a cardboard tag that says on it "genuine leaf tea." Well, I suppose you could make false tea from rabbit droppings...
That's American tea, dear. The "genuine leaf" bit is supposed to assure you that it's not stems and roots, even if it tastes like it.
And if you ever use the word "albeit," I f*rt in your general direction. Or alright, irregardless or "a phenomena." Grr! Were not doing apostrophe's in this thread by any chance, are we?
I find "inflammable" to be vaguely disconcerting. You never know about that one.

"Alot" gives me a twitch.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

"We the people of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect union..."

Wait. More perfect? More? Perfect?

:-?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Boody

Post by Boody »

Functionality. That word drives me crazy. Why not just say an item's functions are improved instead of saying it has increased functionality???
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Redwolf wrote:......In any case, my point was that people are led to believe that "wheat" bread is somehow healthier than the ordinary white sandwich bread next to it on the shelf, or the sourdough the next shelf over, when in fact it's just white bread with a little coloring added back in.

Ah yes! "people who are led to believe" Yes, of course, people who are led to believe so easily are the very sort of people that are the target for "words that don't mean anything".

Hmm, people who are led to believe. Vey good.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cork

Post by Cork »

hyldemoer wrote:BTW, words that don't mean anything? What about prices that really don't mean a thing.
Excuse me, when I see a price for a house cleverly (?) listed as $399,000.00 my mind interprets the price as $400,000.00. I can't believe realitors think I'm the exception to the rule and the rest of America is so stupid not to see through them.
Honestly, for the most part Americans simply accept such a thing, and even look forward to such a price as $X.99, $X.98, $X.95, and the like. Indeed, for a $400,000 house, it would be altogether acceptable to see $399,995. Of course, such a price is an outright invitation to haggle. See how that works?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Steve S. wrote:If you have a cup of tea in the café on a Britanny Ferries ship you get a nasty little teabag with a long string and a cardboard tag that says on it "genuine leaf tea." Well, I suppose you could make false tea from rabbit droppings...
No, it's bogus. Tea comes in two broad categories. Leaf and Bag. If it's loose, it's leaf tea. If it's in a bag, it's "Bag". Labelling a tea-bag as "Leaf Tea" is not just misleading, it's insulting.

A few years ago, some bright spark decided to put the supermarket garlic in a box so it was prettier on the shelves. They labelled the box "Fresh Garlic". Except it wasn't, it was dried. But they caught themselves on, on that one.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

My favorite is not meaningless per se, but so overused that I laugh every time I hear it.
It is most often used [abused] by sportscasters, referring to a player or team's recent performance:

The Boston Red Sox have been offensively anemic of late ...

I totally hate that. Just say lately - it doesn't make you sound any dumber, I promise ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lambchop wrote: I find "inflammable" to be vaguely disconcerting. You never know about that one.
When I was a kid I had a magic set. It came with a set of matches labeled "noninflammable." It took me a while to decide what to make of that one.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I know I've mentioned this before: Almost everyone around here, including the local TV stations, local radio stations, and the newspaper, refers to the northern part of Idaho as NORTH Idaho. Yet in the same sentence they will say EASTERN Washington, so they do know the proper terminology.
Charlene
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

"Destination Resort."

Our local dog track got slot machines and was called a "Racino." Now it got table games but the hotel still has to be built.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I take strong exception to misuse of the word "decimate," which does NOT mean to slaughter en masse. Another one that gets my goat is the expression "raze to the ground." This is just rubbish. To raze means to flatten to ground level already. If you say "raze to the ground," you are saying "flatten to the ground to the ground," you eejit! Possibly one of the worst linguistic phenomena of our times is "prior to." Bejaysus, what is wrong with that venerable old word "before?" "Comprises of..." is another monstrosity. Some words simply betray the utter pomposity of the user. Never trust a man who uses the word "paradigm" for example (alternatively, challenge him as to its meaning. He won't be able to tell you - guaranteed!) Another ridiculous and annoying expression is "untimely death." Idiotic if you think about it. And gimme strength to put up with such nonsenses as "alternate," which Americans seem addicted to using when they really mean "alternative." You know, I'm really enjoying this. I'm sorry if you're not engaging with it, in other words, disinterested. :twisted:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!