Low D on an 8-keyed flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Low D on an 8-keyed flute

Post by pipersgrip »

If you get an 8-keyed flute, does it really stop you from using a strong low D?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Low D on an 8-keyed flute

Post by kkrell »

The Whistle Collector wrote:If you get an 8-keyed flute, does it really stop you from using a strong low D?
I don't see why it would. Many keyless (or up to 6-key) flutes have 2 open vent holes in the foot. The low C & C# keys on an 8-key foot are normally held in the open position. They might hover a bit over the holes and affect some venting, but probably not significantly.

Kevin Krell
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

On a flute with a short D-foot, the hole which vents the D is the very end, which is much bigger diameter than the D-vent on any long-footed flute. I think the definitive answer will have to come from someone who has tried both foot types on the same exact flute.
Check out: Folding@Home!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

On my flute there's a noticeable change in the performance of the low/hard D when taking off the foot keys, but I rather want to have those bottom notes than a slightly stronger low D which can be honked just as loud/hard as without the foot keys as soon as one got the appropiate embouchure control.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The Whistle Collector wrote:If you get an 8-keyed flute, does it really stop you from using a strong low D?
Not if it's a good flute, everything is working correctly and you can play it well. It may be that it is slightly easier to get a good honking low D on a short foot than on a flute with a keyless long foot with vent holes or than on a fully keyed foot where, yes, the presence of the keys may slightly veil the low C# and D compared to if you take the keys off, but the straight, simple, direct answer to your question is "No".

As is often pointed out on this forum, these kinds of issues tend to be more about the abilities of the player than about the limitations of the instrument, with the given that the instrument in question is fully, properly functional. A bigger issue with fully keyed feet on antique flutes is that of "flat foot syndrome" (see McGee!), where you can sound the notes out just great for tone/power, but they are significantly flat compared to the main part of the scale.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

No. But as Jem has said, you may have to learn how to get the low D to sound strongly on the 8-key flute, because it can be different - although not always. But if you <i>do</i> have to adjust your blow to get the good strong D on an 8-key, the good news is that those are the same adjustments you'll need to make to sound the low C and C#. You have those notes available to you on the 8-key, and you're going to want to play them, so you're going to have to learn how to play them. Learning how to play the low D is the first step to that.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

As an aside, my Olwell Rudall was originally made with a short foot. When I acquired a new long foot for the flute, essentially a C foot without the keys, the low D became much more focused and strong. Actually, the whole flute came alive as a result. The "windsock effect" of the tightening bore in the long foot seemed to (non-expert surmise coming) increase the backpressure all the way back up the flute, making the sound move more towards a reedy, focused tone. Cheers,

Rob

p.s. The flute's out on loan, or I'd post a clip....
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks again guys. :D
Andrew Hollom

Post by Andrew Hollom »

I don't find they have an impact on the low D, and when I bought my flute I asked Glenn Watson about their effect, and he said the difference was imperceptible.

Andrew.